Fully Hydrogenated Coconut Oil Source

It seems like water is the worst enemy for this aspect.

tara

It seems like water is the worst enemy for this aspect.
Yes - my neglected one was in the back of the fridge - must have just kept putting it in again without thinking about it. So probably more moist than the cupboard-storage I do now.

jaguar43

I emailed the companies I could find which seem to offer hydrogenated coconut oil, asking them if their oil is fully hydrogenated and, if so, if they will provide documentation as proof. Each company's name links to their coconut oil in question. The following are my correspondences with them, reproduced exactly as they were received:

Welch Holme Clark
Documentation about their oils is available on their website. When asked about purchasing, I was told:
"Minimum purchase would be a 5 gallon container at $90.00 for the oil plus shipping charges from UPS of approx. $51.00
I cannot calculate the exact shipping charge without a full address."

That Welch Holme Clark brand has the melting point at 36-40 C. The wikipedia page states the same range, while the other brand states that it is 92 f which when converted is about 4 degrees less. However there is no reference for that statement on wikipedia. It's still a mystery.

I wonder if there are different degrees of hydrogenation, therefore different temperatures at which they melt.

[ moderator edit: reply moved to Full Hydrogenation ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ulla

Found this on RP Germany.
Source of hydrogenated CO in Europe is found anywhere where is market chain Aldi/Hofer.

10.12.2013 21:28

Has anybody tried these coconut oils (kokosfett), palmin and ceres one, its weird, nothing says on the packaging if its hydrogenated, but one site on internet says it is. The Hofer(Aldi) one coconut fat brand (nusset) says on the packagin hydrogenated.

Produkte

http://www.ceres.at/index.html

Last edited:

Ras

I emailed Bill at WHC, asking,
Do you know why every other hydrogenated coconut oil I have found online lists the melting point as 92F, whereas yours is 101F? I have asked those others, and they say that theirs is fully hydrogenated.

He said,
That is simply our product name for coconut oil that is hydrogenated. The name was made several decades ago. 92° would be the approximate melt point of that oil.

jaguar43

I emailed Bill at WHC, asking,

He said,

Thats very strange. He didn't really answer your question. But it's possible, I wonder if people who have the WHC brand had notice if it's harder or takes longer to melt than other brands.

DaveFoster

Did you buy their 92 degree oil or 110 degree oil, and how does it look/taste?
92 degree. 110 is mixed with soybean oil to raise the melting point.

It looks like shortening; very white, almost like soap. It tastes very bland, almost like plastic, similar to refined coconut oil.

jaakkima

Beating an almost dead horse perhaps? I think it's interesting that on the TKB trading technical sheet, it says that it is fully hydrogenated, and the book excerpt (Reducing Saturated Fats in Foods) suggests that would be the case, but when listing the nutritional data the technical sheet says that the values for trans fats and MUFA respectively are 0.5% and 1.5% respectively "based on analytical results".

Attachments

• Coconut Oil 92 degree - TDS - TKB Trading.pdf
    125.4 KB · Views: 67

jaguar43

Beating an almost dead horse perhaps? I think it's interesting that on the TKB trading technical sheet, it says that it is fully hydrogenated, and the book excerpt (Reducing Saturated Fats in Foods) suggests that would be the case, but when listing the nutritional data the technical sheet says that the values for trans fats and MUFA respectively are 0.5% and 1.5% respectively "based on analytical results".

Yea I think the jury is still out for a fully hydrogenated coconut oil. I personally wouldn't rec the TKB. I think the welch one has the correct range for melting temperature. Not sure if anyone has tried it though.

meatbag

Yea I think the jury is still out for a fully hydrogenated coconut oil. I personally wouldn't rec the TKB. I think the welch one has the correct range for melting temperature. Not sure if anyone has tried it though.

What didn't you like about the TKB if you don't mind me asking? Between TKB and WHC it looks identical except WHC list a possible .5% higher 18.1 than TKB states is in their product . Have had a good experience with any other brands?

jaguar43

What didn't you like about the TKB if you don't mind me asking? Between TKB and WHC it looks identical except WHC list a possible .5% higher 18.1 than TKB states is in their product . Have had a good experience with any other brands?

Well for starters, I am pretty sure they or someone hacked my credit card to pay for their direct tv bill. My credit card company said that it was when I bought it from them that they did.

The product isn't clean, near the middle of the package there were rock like materials in it. I don't know if this was from the manufacture or what.

I haven't tried the WHC one

meatbag

Well for starters, I am pretty sure they or someone hacked my credit card to pay for their direct tv bill. My credit card company said that it was when I bought it from them that they did.

The product isn't clean, near the middle of the package there were rock like materials in it. I don't know if this was from the manufacture or what.

Wooah that sucks! Guess i won't be buying from them then, thx for letting me know

T

tca300

I've eaten 30lbs total ordered in 5lb blocks from TKB trading. No issues so far.

Sheik

I fried some chicken wings in coconut oil and they were really good, better than with olive oil, so I was excited to finally get some fully hydrogenated CO. When I opened the bag I noticed a smell that reminded me of a hospital. My roommate said it smelled like a bandaid and we both described it as somewhat plastic-y. Weeeeird. Normal CO is not like this.

Any idea if it's normal? Is it contaminated somehow?

@DaveFoster Does the smell of yours remind you of a hospital/doctors office?

achillea

We were about to reorder hydrogenated coconut oil but decided against it. Dr Peat has talked about the dangers of miniscule amounts of silica. carrageenan and other additives in supplements. Just think of what is in the hydrogenated coconut oil after drying refining, bleaching, deodorizing and then hydrogenating. Merely In the inappropriate drying they find mold and aflotoxins.

Once the oil is pressed from the dried flesh it must be refined with lye, bleached with acid and alkaline clays, and then deodorized at high heat under a vacuum. This is known as refining, bleaching and deodorizing (RBD). The refining process uses lye, hydrochloric acid, solvents and steam to strip out the contamination. Some residual solvents remain in the oil. The process also removes the natural volatiles and anti-oxidants that give pure coconut oil its unique flavor and aroma. The total process from farm to refined oil can take many months. The residual copra-meal is only suitable as animal feed but, even here, care is required because it can be contaminated with carcinogenic aflatoxins.” The net result is that copra based oil, even after refining, has an aftertaste of soap from the high free fatty acid levels and a rancid/putrid odor when heated due to the spoilage (unsavory flavors produced by the molds / bacteria and damage to the chemical structure of the oils) that occurs during the initial drying process.

As an end result, the traditional coconut oil industry produces two primary products. These are known as 76 (F) degree-melt and 92 degree-melt coconut oil. The 76 degree-melt is the unmodified RBD oil, while the 92 degree-melt is RBD coconut oil that has been modified by industrial hydrogenation using high temperature and pressure. This was done to create an oil product that won’t melt at higher working temperatures and is more “like” a soy-based margarine in its working consistency for food processing purposes. These are the oils used historically for medical and food based trials that are then use in “scientific claims” to “prove” that coconut oil as a saturated fat is bad for you. (So with such a highly damaged, poor quality oil, why would these oils be “good” for you?)

johnwester130

We were about to reorder hydrogenated coconut oil but decided against it. Dr Peat has talked about the dangers of miniscule amounts of silica. carrageenan and other additives in supplements. Just think of what is in the hydrogenated coconut oil after drying refining, bleaching, deodorizing and then hydrogenating. Merely In the inappropriate drying they find mold and aflotoxins.

Once the oil is pressed from the dried flesh it must be refined with lye, bleached with acid and alkaline clays, and then deodorized at high heat under a vacuum. This is known as refining, bleaching and deodorizing (RBD). The refining process uses lye, hydrochloric acid, solvents and steam to strip out the contamination. Some residual solvents remain in the oil. The process also removes the natural volatiles and anti-oxidants that give pure coconut oil its unique flavor and aroma. The total process from farm to refined oil can take many months. The residual copra-meal is only suitable as animal feed but, even here, care is required because it can be contaminated with carcinogenic aflatoxins.” The net result is that copra based oil, even after refining, has an aftertaste of soap from the high free fatty acid levels and a rancid/putrid odor when heated due to the spoilage (unsavory flavors produced by the molds / bacteria and damage to the chemical structure of the oils) that occurs during the initial drying process.

As an end result, the traditional coconut oil industry produces two primary products. These are known as 76 (F) degree-melt and 92 degree-melt coconut oil. The 76 degree-melt is the unmodified RBD oil, while the 92 degree-melt is RBD coconut oil that has been modified by industrial hydrogenation using high temperature and pressure. This was done to create an oil product that won’t melt at higher working temperatures and is more “like” a soy-based margarine in its working consistency for food processing purposes. These are the oils used historically for medical and food based trials that are then use in “scientific claims” to “prove” that coconut oil as a saturated fat is bad for you. (So with such a highly damaged, poor quality oil, why would these oils be “good” for you?)

what is your opinion on this oil

https://coconoil.co.uk/products/gold-coast-12-5kg-bucket/

“Gold Coast Whole Kernel Virgin Coconut Oil is made from unpeeled , fresh coconut flesh which still has the thin brown skin attached when cold pressed. Analysis of the peel shows a wide range of natural secondary plant substances such as naturally occurring tocopherols (Vitamin E), phytosterols, phospholipids (lecithins) and other protective anti oxidants are contained in this skin. It is also thought that by including the skin in the cold pressing process it will enhance the already long shelf life of the product as a result of the high content of phenolic antioxidants. The resultant Virgin Coconut Oil that is extracted with the brown skin still attached has a slight golden tinge to it unlike the pure white of the Virgin Coconut Oil that is extracted from peeled coconuts. It is also not unusual to see small particles of the naturally occurring phosholipids (lecithins) when melting the oil. These will melt completely as the temperature of the oil rises.”

achillea

Appearance of copra oil is light brown or yellow. This is a carry over from the black, yellow, orange and brown molds that grow on the poor quality copra. Some copra oil producers get a whiter product by using only higher quality “white” copra, but it is still copra. The more refining copra oil undergoes, the clearer it becomes. If you see copra oil in a solid state, it may have a generally white appearance to it. However when melted and in larger containers, the color is more evident. Liquid virgin coconut oil is generally crystal clear. Depending on the processing system and subsequent clarification, one may observe some coconut particulate in the oil. While this is all “natural,” consumers may or may not find it appealing. Allowing the particulate to settle out of the oil prior to bottling is a simple solution.
Taken from COCONUT OIL: THERE IS A DIFFERENCE

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals