Head Injury

Peatress

THIAMIN AND WOUND REPAIR

Thiamin lack during a period of wound healing impaired collagen synthesis, lowered lysyl oxidase activity and diminished breaking strength of the excised wound

These two papers reveal a convincing picture of abnormal collagen synthesis as a consequence of a thiamin deficit of relatively short duration. The earliest visible defect is a diminished rate of synthesis of type I l l collagen. It is believed that type Ill collagen normally creates the network necessary for proper synthesis and maturation of type I collagen accompanied by crosslinking catalyzed by lysyl oxidase and consequent increases in tensile strength and breaking strength. The authors suggest that impairment of this sequence in the thiamin deficient rats occurs because of inadequate energy production secondary to a decline in activity of the TPP requiring enzymes which promote oxidative decarboxylation of pyruvate and a-ketoglutarate. Whether this proves to be the correct explanation, the data serve to emphasize once more the invaluable benefits of optimal nutrition in preventive and postoperative medicine.

Attachments

• thiamin-and-wound-repair-2009.pdf
    217.9 KB · Views: 8

Peatress

Do a pre-wash of the scalp and then of the hair with something based on extra virgin olive oil, vitamin E, vitamin D, apple cider vinegar, lemon...leaving for an hour and then rinsing can have a benefit for absorption at the brain level? @Peatress

Peatress

Do a pre-wash of the scalp and then of the hair with something based on extra virgin olive oil, vitamin E, vitamin D, apple cider vinegar, lemon...leaving for an hour and then rinsing can have a benefit for absorption at the brain level? @Peatress
Thanks. My issue is not neurological, it's simply tissue scarring. I've thrown a lot at it so far. Calcification was always inevitable and apple cider vinegar has helped previously but now my scalp feels really tender but there is no visible wound - The scalp feels very tight.

David PS

Topical Collection "Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): Recent Trends and Future Perspectives"​

Has eugenol been mentioned yet?

Peatress

Has eugenol been mentioned yet?
Thank you. I do use it in the form of clove oil. It's a powerful calcium channel blocker. I don't use it often enough perhaps because it thins the blood and I'm already having issues with this. I found this article

Edit - I've just mixed two drops of clove oil into mct oil and rubbed it under my chin along my jawline. I can feel my scalp tension releasing. Feeling quite chilled.

Last edited:

Peatress

Last edited:

Peatress

Dr Peat spoke favorably of the sartans. I'm considering taking one of these again - I don't want to because I'm concerned about all the fillers but I may have to..........

We found that two sartans, candesartan and telmisartan, improve functional and morphological recovery when administered up to 6 h following TBI in the mouse. The beneficial effects of these drugs include acute and long-term reduction of lesion volume, enhancement of cognitive and motor function, protection of cerebral blood flow, and reduction in inflammation and the amount of activated microglia and astrocytes. For both candesartan and telmisartan, effects occur at non-hypotensive doses, a benefit as a decline in blood pressure immediately after TBI may worsen the outcome (Andriessen et al., 2010). Although both drugs have somewhat similar effects initially, candesartan’s actions seem more beneficial at more chronic time points, suggesting that candesartan has better long-term benefit. Mechanistically, our data indicate that sartan treatment affects two different signalling pathways to produce an improvement in recovery from TBI, AT1R blockade and PPARγ activation. Thus, these preclinical data show that sartan treatment is a promising therapeutic for the treatment of TBI.

Last edited:

Peatress

Ray Peat on Oysters and Healing

Danny Roddy
: Would it ever be valuable to consume oysters more regularly?

Ray Peat: Yeah, if you have anemia or have had a traumatic thing that needs healing, then having a can a day for a while can really accelerate healing.

Danny Roddy: You don't see that as extremely risky?

Ray Peat: No.

Source

Peatress

Last edited:

Peatress

I found this on an old thread about boxing

How and When Progesterone Is Administered After a Brain Injury

Transcript:
The animal studies show that the neuro-protection works probably up to 12-- maybe even as much as 24--hours after injury. However, we--in our clinical trial and our phase three clinical trial now-- are required to get the drug in within 4 hours. The reason we're doing that is rather complex. The animal studies-- When you do an animal model, it's very homogenous. The brain injury is exactly the same. The animals are exactly the same. Everything is maintained equally. So, small improvements in outcome can be identified in an animal model. But when you go to a human model that is very heterogenous, that improvement can get washed out in the noise. From the animal studies we can show very clearly that the earlier you get it in the better it is. The 1-hour post, the 6-hour post, and the 12-hour post-- there's a scale that shows the earlier the better. It's common sense. It's a neuro-protectant--meaning it's got to protect-- so if you don't get it in early, you're already behind the eight ball. That was the reason in the phase three trial we chose a 4-hour window-- was to try to get it in absolutely as soon as possible but yet feasible, and give the drug maximal chance to work. The formulation that we use in the human trials is natural progesterone, so that's key. Many of the progestins--which are artificially produced progesterones-- have very different mechanisms and very different properties. So, it's natural progesterone which, by the way, comes from yams. We buy it as a powder from a company and dissolve it in a small amount of ethanol, and then it gets mixed into an intra-lipid formulation just before it's delivered. We give it as an IV infusion over 4 days with a taper towards the end. The goal is to reach a steady state--to sort of coat the brain-- during that critical time period immediately after the injury.

@Peatress For this purpose, intravenous use may make sense, because it is totally absorbed. Unfortunately, however, all the other tissues also receive it... probably if an adult wants to experiment with it for the CNS SNP effects it is better sublingual or topical. For a man it is better to balance with something androgenic. I would also use micro doses, in rotating mcg order. Testosterone, progesterone and estrogen can work miracles if used in demyelinating lesions and beyond. Unfortunately, there is a lack of competence and interest on the part of doctors (not all).

Attachments

• 007.gif
    007.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 12
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals