Healthier Grooming & Beauty Hacks

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A study published in General Dentistryreported that Aloe vera in tooth gels is as effective as toothpaste in fighting cavities.

The researchers compared the germ-fighting ability of an Aloe vera tooth gel with two popular toothpastes. They found that the gel was just as good, and in some cases even better than the commercial toothpastes at controlling cavity-causing oral bacteria.

The authors explain that Aloe latex contains anthraquinones, compounds that actively heal and reduce pain through natural anti-inflammatory effects.

The scientists warned that not all gels they analyzed contained the proper form of Aloe vera – they must contain the stabilized gel that exists in the center of the plant to be effective.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

“An alternative to mouthwash​

In a 2014 studyTrusted Source published in the Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences, researchers found aloe vera extract to be a safe and effective alternative to chemical-based mouthwashes. The plant’s natural ingredients, which include a healthy dose of vitamin C, can block plaque. It can also provide relief if you have bleeding or swollen gums.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“I dip a wet Q-tip in organic instant coffee and it sets and nicely stains my brows nicely. My brows had gotten really sparse, but I got quite a few of them back just by pinching and massaging them while watching TV once or twice a day.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Cancer is such a painful, painful, painful condition.”

Terrell is one of four women, three of whom spoke to NBC News exclusively, who have filed federal lawsuits against L’Oréal and other companies, alleging that chemicals in the companies’ hair products caused them to develop uterine cancer or other severe health effects.

The lawsuits follow the release last month of a study by the National Institutes of Healththat found that women who reported frequent use of hair straightening products — defined as more than four times in the previous year — were more than twice as likely to develop uterine cancer compared to those who did not use the products.

According to the lawsuits, three of the women have had a hysterectomy — one of them at age 28.

Terrell, 55, of Guin, Alabama, said she began relaxing her hair at age 8 and stopped in her late 30s or early 40s.

She has uterine carcinosarcoma and underwent six rounds of chemotherapy and was in remission for a little over two years before the cancer returned in July on her liver and abdomen, according to an interview and her lawsuit. She is undergoing chemotherapy.

“If I had known all those years ago, if they had a warning on the box to say this could cause cancer, I wouldn’t have used it,” she said. “And I want to hold them accountable because I have granddaughters.”

Lizb

“Cancer is such a painful, painful, painful condition.”

Terrell is one of four women, three of whom spoke to NBC News exclusively, who have filed federal lawsuits against L’Oréal and other companies, alleging that chemicals in the companies’ hair products caused them to develop uterine cancer or other severe health effects.

The lawsuits follow the release last month of a study by the National Institutes of Healththat found that women who reported frequent use of hair straightening products — defined as more than four times in the previous year — were more than twice as likely to develop uterine cancer compared to those who did not use the products.

According to the lawsuits, three of the women have had a hysterectomy — one of them at age 28.

Terrell, 55, of Guin, Alabama, said she began relaxing her hair at age 8 and stopped in her late 30s or early 40s.

She has uterine carcinosarcoma and underwent six rounds of chemotherapy and was in remission for a little over two years before the cancer returned in July on her liver and abdomen, according to an interview and her lawsuit. She is undergoing chemotherapy.

“If I had known all those years ago, if they had a warning on the box to say this could cause cancer, I wouldn’t have used it,” she said. “And I want to hold them accountable because I have granddaughters.”

That is bad news.

Advocate2021

any suggestions for non-toxic highlights ( thought highlights pretty good as no contact with scalp but still...) and keratin treatment? i know keratin treatment not good but its life altering for me- hard to part with it. I researched and found Karagreen but i found it even more toxic even though the inventor was formaldehyde poisoned and pledged to make a clean line- it has really toxic stuff in it. keratin complex was less toxic ironically. Thanks!

Advocate2021

I noticed that thread when if popped up- intriguing. however, per my last post, admittedly I get highlights salon style and keratin treatments and both add much happiness to my life but i would love to get input on health aspects and if anyone has discovered healthiest ways to accomplish these beauty goals? with these items, no way i can use baking soda, cocount oil, urea etc. ive tried - hair was awful. i read all ingredients of an product i use and feel that they are pretty good but always open to health improvements and would love any input on this. I have a lot of very fine hair that is naturally wavy which is fine with me- what i dont like is the fuzzy frizzy aspect especially around my hair line. the keratin treatment is magical and instead of taking 45min to dry my hair i have smooth silky no frizz hair in 10 minutes- its life altering for me. and my natural hair color is literally the color of ashes- was born amazing blonde that turned to honey as a little girl and then one day in adolescence turned to ash- perhaps hormonal? well even now in peak hormonal balance- the ashes have remained and now even with maybe 15 percent grey- the highlights work really well and balance it all out and dont touch the scalp so a far cry from the single processes i dumped on my head for many many years- wish i had never done that but live and learn. thanks!!!!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I noticed that thread when if popped up- intriguing. however, per my last post, admittedly I get highlights salon style and keratin treatments and both add much happiness to my life but i would love to get input on health aspects and if anyone has discovered healthiest ways to accomplish these beauty goals? with these items, no way i can use baking soda, cocount oil, urea etc. ive tried - hair was awful. i read all ingredients of an product i use and feel that they are pretty good but always open to health improvements and would love any input on this. I have a lot of very fine hair that is naturally wavy which is fine with me- what i dont like is the fuzzy frizzy aspect especially around my hair line. the keratin treatment is magical and instead of taking 45min to dry my hair i have smooth silky no frizz hair in 10 minutes- its life altering for me. and my natural hair color is literally the color of ashes- was born amazing blonde that turned to honey as a little girl and then one day in adolescence turned to ash- perhaps hormonal? well even now in peak hormonal balance- the ashes have remained and now even with maybe 15 percent grey- the highlights work really well and balance it all out and dont touch the scalp so a far cry from the single processes i dumped on my head for many many years- wish i had never done that but live and learn. thanks!!!!
I am a natural blonde, and since I haven’t been spending summers vacationing outdoors since 2021, my hair has darkened. I have never dyed or bleached my hair, except for twice in my twenties as well as 3 perm too, which has kept grays at bay for me. This year I have had some success with raw honey on my hair, leaving it on for four hours being most effective so far. Years ago one time I put a little baking soda in my shampoo and it lightened it quite a bit, probably from stripping off the build up, but it dried it out a lot. My hair was already dry though from chlorinated pools though, so I wouldn’t be too against trying that again, now that my hair is sturdy. I got the baking soda tip from a store checker. She said she used baking soda every now and then, and boy I could see the difference. Her hair was dull and then one day it was shiny and really health and bouncy. The one time I did it my sister asked if I bleached my hair. Here is me as a child.

Attachments

• 72B4E450-1E3A-463D-9A8F-71DEBCC7B52E.jpeg
    72B4E450-1E3A-463D-9A8F-71DEBCC7B52E.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 19C830B9-B596-4493-B332-CC219B4E3EFA.jpeg
    19C830B9-B596-4493-B332-CC219B4E3EFA.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 21

Advocate2021

I am a natural blonde, and since I haven’t been spending summers vacationing outdoors since 2021, my hair has darkened. I have never dyed or bleached my hair, except for twice in my twenties as well as 3 perm too, which has kept grays at bay for me. This year I have had some success with raw honey on my hair, leaving it on for four hours being most effective so far. Years ago one time I put a little baking soda in my shampoo and it lightened it quite a bit, probably from stripping off the build up, but it dried it out a lot. My hair was already dry though from chlorinated pools though, so I wouldn’t be too against trying that again, now that my hair is sturdy. I got the baking soda tip from a store checker. She said she used baking soda every now and then, and boy I could see the difference. Her hair was dull and then one day it was shiny and really health and bouncy. The one time I did it my sister asked if I bleached my hair. Here is me as a child.
Adorable!! And your hair is amazing Rinse & Repeat. Your color is beautiful- you are a true blonde so all makes sense. You are naturally much lighter than me as at same age in your adorable pics (im estimating) i was more of a darker honey color several shades darker than you i think. And from what ive seen of the lovely pictures you post currently, you still have maintained a very pretty true blonde color. I however, as i shared, turned to ashes from about 10 onward- nothing like yours. i am told it is actually a form of blonde, hard to believe, looks like dark ash from a fireplace. So, the only way i have ever found to remedy looking like ive lived in a fireplace my whole life is color, now and for many years in the form of highlights. i would love to be able to resort to simpler measures; but i think my color situation is too extreme. and you also look like you have really naturally smooth silky hair with no frizz which i do not - and thus the keratin, I have found no other answer to eliminating the frizz but try to use the healthiest products i can find.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Adorable!! And your hair is amazing Rinse & Repeat. Your color is beautiful- you are a true blonde so all makes sense. You are naturally much lighter than me as at same age in your adorable pics (im estimating) i was more of a darker honey color several shades darker than you i think. And from what ive seen of the lovely pictures you post currently, you still have maintained a very pretty true blonde color. I however, as i shared, turned to ashes from about 10 onward- nothing like yours. i am told it is actually a form of blonde, hard to believe, looks like dark ash from a fireplace. So, the only way i have ever found to remedy looking like ive lived in a fireplace my whole life is color, now and for many years in the form of highlights. i would love to be able to resort to simpler measures; but i think my color situation is too extreme. and you also look like you have really naturally smooth silky hair with no frizz which i do not - and thus the keratin, I have found no other answer to eliminating the frizz but try to use the healthiest products i can find.
Thank you my friend! My hair is not straight, I do a quick flat iron on it when I go out. I have wavy hair, like a large wave. Here are is a pic of me from high school and three from this year (two are from me grounding in the morning before showering and makeup) so my hair color and texture has stayed about the same, and now at 59. I attribute that to not coloring my hair. I will have to look for a pic of my hair with the wave.

Attachments

• A6D6C2BD-B3B3-4DAB-B0A2-3D885263F6B6.jpeg
    A6D6C2BD-B3B3-4DAB-B0A2-3D885263F6B6.jpeg
    584 KB · Views: 41
  • C69DDA05-0B8A-4F2E-9BEB-27A86CEB522A.jpeg
    C69DDA05-0B8A-4F2E-9BEB-27A86CEB522A.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 08A64DF6-3869-4E7B-AEB8-50B6DFAD9CF0.jpeg
    08A64DF6-3869-4E7B-AEB8-50B6DFAD9CF0.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 43
  • F2839145-D00F-44DC-9A6A-3F593F87BA34.jpeg
    F2839145-D00F-44DC-9A6A-3F593F87BA34.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 46
OP
Rinse & rePeat
.@Advocate2021 Here are a couple of pictures that show my wavy hair, and with long heavy hair still. When it is shorter it is really wavy. I never liked the wave.

Attachments

• 64584D83-720D-4B8D-9A95-E5FC2FFFD460.jpeg
    64584D83-720D-4B8D-9A95-E5FC2FFFD460.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 59289A9B-CD94-4871-8556-74C9D9D7D7DD.jpeg
    59289A9B-CD94-4871-8556-74C9D9D7D7DD.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 40

Advocate2021

.@Advocate2021 Here are a couple of pictures that show my wavy hair, and with long heavy hair still. When it is shorter it is really wavy. I never liked the wave.
Gorgeous pictures love them thank you! what a beautiful picture of you with the fair skin and wavy style! you just have great hair- waves are pretty- you have no frizz- it just looks smooth and healthy. that is my issue with mine, not waves and curls which i like sometimes- i can get mine in ringlets even with the keratin- it just takes away the wiry frizzy aspect which is really unflattering and makes the hair look unhealthy.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Gorgeous pictures love them thank you! what a beautiful picture of you with the fair skin and wavy style! you just have great hair- waves are pretty- you have no frizz- it just looks smooth and healthy. that is my issue with mine, not waves and curls which i like sometimes- i can get mine in ringlets even with the keratin- it just takes away the wiry frizzy aspect which is really unflattering and makes the hair look unhealthy.
Maybe try raw honey on it for an hour. It really nourishes my hair and gives it lots of shine. If you like it try a bit more time with each application.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is the shampoo I have been using this past couple of months and really like. I get it at my local health food store. I like that it doesn’t strip the natural oils out of my hair.

Attachments

• 26202DCB-59C7-4571-8714-34CFF789E139.jpeg
    26202DCB-59C7-4571-8714-34CFF789E139.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 093A579C-3BA4-4C37-B09D-EBDFB3686718.jpeg
    093A579C-3BA4-4C37-B09D-EBDFB3686718.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ray Peat says, about progesterone…

“For the topical treatment of sun damaged skin, or acne, wrinkles, etc. the oil can be applied directly to the affected area.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It seems that medical grade Manuka honey does not have peroxide, so it is good to use on the face more often without lightening the skin…..

“Although hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is one of the major antibacterial factors in most honeys, it does not accumulate in medical-grade manuka honey. The goal of this study was to investigate the effect of artificially added methylglyoxal (MGO) on H2O2accumulation in natural non-manuka honeys.”

“Although hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is one of the major antibacterial factors in most honeys, it does not accumulate in medical-grade manuka honey.”

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It seems that medical grade Manuka honey does not have peroxide, so it is good to use on the face more often without lightening the skin…..

“Although hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is one of the major antibacterial factors in most honeys, it does not accumulate in medical-grade manuka honey. The goal of this study was to investigate the effect of artificially added methylglyoxal (MGO) on H2O2accumulation in natural non-manuka honeys.”

“Although hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is one of the major antibacterial factors in most honeys, it does not accumulate in medical-grade manuka honey.”

I’ve been using the manuka honey and love it. I’ve also just been using straight organic jojoba as a moisturizer and it’s fantastic!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I’ve been using the manuka honey and love it. I’ve also just been using straight organic jojoba as a moisturizer and it’s fantastic!
I am happy that you like the Manuka honey honey mask as much as I do. What a skin game changer it has been for me. What is your jojoba moisturizer brand?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Just get zinc oxide powder. Mix it into coconut oil and apply. For higher SPF add more zinc powder.
Thats it. We even send a jar to our daughter's pre-school and they know that's all the are allowed to apply to her skin. Works great. No toxic seed oils. Thats how they used to be made.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals