Healthier Grooming & Beauty Hacks

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I am happy that you like the Manuka honey honey mask as much as I do. What a skin game changer it has been for me. What is your jojoba moisturizer brand?
4B694B6A-A336-4FA6-9EF4-6475B597540D.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Vodka
baking soda
an essential oil of your choice

put in rollerball bottle for a deodorant
I don’t know why it took me so long, but I finally bought the empty roll-on bottles for homemade deodorant, you suggested. I put Milk Of Magnesia in it for now, because it works so dang good, but if it gives me any trouble getting too thick or clumpy, I am still interested in trying your formula.

Attachments

• 89D9DCC8-3F95-47E4-8F7D-CC683400488E.jpeg
    89D9DCC8-3F95-47E4-8F7D-CC683400488E.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 6
OP
Rinse & rePeat
This RP quote below makes me wonder if using ice on wrinkled or scarred skin would generate new skin….

“In the years after the first world war, Vladimir Filatov, who developed techniques of reconstructive surgery, including corneal transplants, found that cold storage of tissues (for example, corneas from cadavers) caused them to function better than fresh tissues, and he found that these stressed tissues would often spread a healing influence out into the surrounding tissues.” —Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This RP quote below makes me wonder if using ice on wrinkled or scarred skin would generate new skin….

“In the years after the first world war, Vladimir Filatov, who developed techniques of reconstructive surgery, including corneal transplants, found that cold storage of tissues (for example, corneas from cadavers) caused them to function better than fresh tissues, and he found that these stressed tissues would often spread a healing influence out into the surrounding tissues.” —Ray Peat
Apparently “skin icing” is a thing! I think I am going to experiment with this idea….

“What is Skin Icing?​

The most basic form of skin icing is when you use an ice cube to reduce under-eye or facial puffiness. It has long been a staple of skincare wisdom (we’ve all used a refrigerated spoon or cucumber slices on our eyes in the past, right?). Far from being an old wives' tale, there’s science behind this age-old advice. When actual ice is applied to the skin, it causes blood to rise to the surface (think of that rosy glow you get after a brisk winter walk), which soothes and tightens the skin. Also known as an ice facial, skin icing is a cryotherapy treatment where vaporized nitrogen is used to cool the skin of the face, scalp, and neck area.

Ice has long been a secret to clear skin and a healthy-looking glow. Russian Empress Catherine the Great was said to have applied ice cubes to her face, neck, and décolletage every morning to give her skin a radiant appearance. Whilst expensive facials and complicated skincare tools have their place, sometimes the simplest tricks are classics for a reason.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Subnormal temperatures cause a shift from phagocytosis to inflammation. Light, especially the red light which penetrates easily into tissues, activates the formation of new cells as well as their differentiation. It affects energy production, increasing the formation of mitochondria, and the activity of the DNA methyltransferase enzymes. Red light accelerates wound healing, and improves the quality of the scar, reducing the amount of fibrosis.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat

David PS

Fkak-uVagAA99I4

OP
Rinse & rePeat
With the RP statement below, I don’t understand how Hyaluronic acid is beneficial to one’s skin, if it weakens it?…

“Hyaluronidase is activated by shock, and also by estrogen. Both hyaluronidase and estrogen have been used in plastic surgery to “expand” tissue, weakening it and allowing it to be enlarged. During aging, hyaluronic acid (the major water-retaining component of connective tissue that’s broken down by hyaluronidase) decreases in the connective tissues, but increases in the blood stream. Shock allows hyaluronic acid to increase in the serum. Fragments of degraded hyaluronic acid are pro-inflammatory.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I may try this one this week….

Many people feel that applying milk to the cheeks will clean and moisturize them. This is because milk contains water, fat, and proteins.

“Dairy milk contains lactic acid, which is an alpha hydroxy acid. These acids are commonly used in skin care products. They can stimulate new cell growth and remove dead skin cells, according to a 2018 studyTrusted Source.

Proteins and amino acids, which are found in milk, may also have a hand in healing damaged tissue.

However, more studies are needed to determine if applying milk to your face is an effective form of skin care. Learn more about the potential benefits of applying milk to your skin.“

Attachments

• 1CB52CC6-EE2B-4C52-A2C6-674C52124013.jpeg
    1CB52CC6-EE2B-4C52-A2C6-674C52124013.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 4
OP
Rinse & rePeat
This one looks worth a try too….

“While there haven’t been any scientific studies yet to prove it, many consider apples and apple-containing skin care products as options to help the skin maintain a youthful appearance. This may be because apples have high amounts of:

collagen
elastin
antioxidants

One of the ways to use apple to get more youthful-looking cheeks suggested by these proponents is an apple “mask.” Grate an apple, rub it on your face, and leave it there for 20 minutes before gently washing the mask off with water.”

Attachments

• 6F074BF2-A3A1-43F4-98D3-8FE1BBE5C34E.jpeg
    6F074BF2-A3A1-43F4-98D3-8FE1BBE5C34E.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 3

David PS

@skuabird thanks, here are the timestamps

⏰ Time Stamps ⏰
0:00 - Intro
1:01 - Why Historical Hair Care?
1:33 - Who is This Video For?
2:19 - What's Up With Historical Women's Ultra-Long Hair?
5:40 - The 4 Main Sections of this video
6:23 - My Hair History
7:34 - My Experience With the "Curly Girl" Method
13:29 - Historical Vs. Modern Hair Care
20:15 - My Historical Hair Care Tenets
20:22 - Dry Finger Detangling
21:12 - Problems with Wet-Detangling Hair
24:13 - Historical Women (Mainly) Dry-Detangled Their Hair
25:24 - Historical Boar Bristle Hair Brushing
26:46 - My Personal Dry-Detangling Approach (for curly hair)
29:34 - "No Poo" Method - Rare and Gentle Hair Washing
31:54 - Rhassoul Clay Hair Washing
33:40 - Minimal Hair Product Usage
34:54 - Hair and Scalp Oiling
37:42 - Protective Styles
40:47 - Weekly Hair Routine Demo
40:52 - Dry Finger Detangling
42:25 - Daily Protective Styling
44:51 - Pre-Wash Oil Treatment
46:04 - Clay Wash Recipe and Routine
50:24 - Finished Hair Results
51:02 - Conclusion