YamnayaMommy

Cut down calories until you start losing weight. 10% calorie deficit would be great.
Have you lost fat on a 10% deficit? I have heard exercise nutritionists (like Layne Norton, Bill Campbell) theorize that people have a calorie range that people can eat within and maintain their body weight. According to them, you have to get BELOW the lower limit to lose and weight and ABOVE the upper limit to gain weight. This seems bad, from the fat loss perspective, because you have to do a significant cut to lose fat. I would guess greater than 10%. But the upside is that, once you've hit your goal weight, you can gradually "reverse diet"--push your calories up slowly and gradually, to try to eat more, at the upper limit of your range, without gaining weight.

Starship

Have you lost fat on a 10% deficit? I have heard exercise nutritionists (like Layne Norton, Bill Campbell) theorize that people have a calorie range that people can eat within and maintain their body weight. According to them, you have to get BELOW the lower limit to lose and weight and ABOVE the upper limit to gain weight. This seems bad, from the fat loss perspective, because you have to do a significant cut to lose fat. I would guess greater than 10%. But the upside is that, once you've hit your goal weight, you can gradually "reverse diet"--push your calories up slowly and gradually, to try to eat more, at the upper limit of your range, without gaining weight.
I subscribe to the rate of living theory and permanently do around 25% calorie deficit, so I don't know about 10%. You definitely lose all your weight on 25% deficit, but it could be bad to lose weight that quickly.

AlexR

I subscribe to the rate of living theory and permanently do around 25% calorie deficit, so I don't know about 10%. You definitely lose all your weight on 25% deficit, but it could be bad to lose weight that quickly.
he idea of extending life span by slowing metabolism and growth was a logical implication of the "rate of living" theory of aging, and it's an idea that is still popular. Many people have supposed that eating less would slow metabolism. Caloric restriction does extend the life span of many species, but it generally preserves the high metabolic rate of youth, so that at a given age the calorie-restricted animal has a higher rate of oxygen consumption per gram of body weight than the unrestricted eaters.

Roy Walford, a gerontologist who wrote about extending the human life span to 120 years by caloric restriction, spent 30 years limiting his diet to about 1600 calories, with little animal protein, almost no saturated fat--fish once or twice per week, poultry or beef about once, and a fat free milkshake for breakfast--and after about 15 years, began developing a degenerative brain disease, ALS, one of the nerve diseases involving lipid peroxidation and excitotoxicity. When he died from the disease, he had lived a year longer than the normal life expectancy.​
Calorie-restricted animals (on a diet of normal composition) have a lower degree of fat unsaturation in their mitochondria as they age, preserving the relatively more saturated fats of youth.

Birds' mitochondrial fats are much less polyunsaturated than those of mammals, and birds' metabolic rates are much higher, and they live much longer than mammals of a similar size.

With aging, the highly peroxidizable fatty acids, arachidonic and docosahexaenoic acid, increase greatly in a variety of tissues, and lipid peroxidation increases with aging. Peroxidation slows mitochondrial respiration, lowering the metabolic rate. Caloric restriction slows the accumulation of the highly unsaturated fatty acids in mitochondria, and reduces peroxidation.​

Starship

Roy Walford started CR when he already was old, so I don't think it shows too much. Also, if CR can increase chances of me making to 80 by protecting me from other diseases then it's still great. I don't mind being hungry, kind of used to it. I'm 30 right now, maybe I can do high metabolism diet when I'm 70 or something, so it can protect me from lowered immune system and increase regeneration.
It's great if decreased PUFA/methionine is the main reason why CR diet extends lifespan, but I don't want to risk not doing CR until it is a common knowledge in scientific community that removing PUFA will extend lifespan longer than CR.

bogbody

my favorite calorie-and-budget-and-time friendly meal these days is made possible by aldi. They have inexpensive bags of frozen fruit. Mangos, tropical fruit, etc. I will thaw one overnight. Then I mix
thawed fruit, a cup of nonfat Greek yogurt, with a cup of skim milk and two tbs of gelatin that I have already bloomed and cooked, and a little sucralose sweetener. 510 calories; macros are 46g of protein, 79c, and zero fat. It’s so yummy and extremely filling. Sometimes, to complete the meal, I’ll add 15g of dark chocolate for a little fat.
I have been doing a similar thing with buying bulk bags of frozen fruit (campoverde tropical mix rules) and then thawing them overnight in the fridge and eating with fage 0% and a little honey. I love it! I am curious about the skim milk and gelatin part though. Is this basically skim milk jello you are adding or is it still iiquid with the gelatin just dissolved in it?

YamnayaMommy

I have been doing a similar thing with buying bulk bags of frozen fruit (campoverde tropical mix rules) and then thawing them overnight in the fridge and eating with fage 0% and a little honey. I love it! I am curious about the skim milk and gelatin part though. Is this basically skim milk jello you are adding or is it still iiquid with the gelatin just dissolved in it?
The latter. I take a cup of skim milk, bloom two tbs of gelatin in it, and then cook it (often in the microwave). I then add the cold fruit and maybe some fage 0%, and some sweetener or honey, and then eat it as a fruity soup if I can’t wait, or let it sit in the fridge for ten minutes until it gels some. If you let it set too long, it gets too gelled. It’s gross. You can always nuke it to get it to an okay texture.

but yeah I use gelatin in almost everything. Tonight I added it to a roux for the pasta sauce.

bogbody

The latter. I take a cup of skim milk, bloom two tbs of gelatin in it, and then cook it (often in the microwave). I then add the cold fruit and maybe some fage 0%, and some sweetener or honey, and then eat it as a fruity soup if I can’t wait, or let it sit in the fridge for ten minutes until it gels some. If you let it set too long, it gets too gelled. It’s gross. You can always nuke it to get it to an okay texture.

but yeah I use gelatin in almost everything. Tonight I added it to a roux for the pasta sauce.
ah ok thanks! i’m going to try that

meatbag

Hello!
I am a 20-year-old female that has been learning and trying slowly to understand how to help my metabolism.
Right now my weight is 203lbs and my height is 5'10. I have been conflicted with my body image as I feel as though I have a mom bod, although I do know health overall is a better standard to focus on especially, considering I have been at a lower weight while on the extreme of a raw high-fat high meat diet, eating omad, pretty much the complete opposite.
I have really only read "How to heal your metabolism" by Kate Deering, and have yet to really dive into the deeper information and would really love to.
I would appreciate where to start as I know it is a lifetime journey of fixing and adjusting the best way possible to be healthy, and because of that the surface level information has not really given me the slap I need to truly trust the process, I've recently have had thoughts of going on fast just to lose weight due to being unhappy right now with how I look as, due to my extreme 180 and winging it I've gained about 40lbs ( it is not fully ray peat, to be honest, it is stress eating due to covid as well in the beginning).
I have set goals to be aware of which is my sleep quality, temperatures, and pulse and from a basic scale knowing those measure important factors, yet being so young I feel and understand part of me gets a bit naive with everything as in getting away with fasting and so on, and knowing that I want to work on counteracting those thoughts with facts.
I would love to hear, read or look into what you guys would recommend on where to start or functions to look into, to help me get the full picture.
The biggest reason why losing weight is on my mind is due to being highly family-minded, and knowing as a female youth is a great advantage to use, however, I do notice being at such a high weight lowers my attractiveness(not that, that is everything but is the first thing) and just, in general, I think many of us would love to look our best, it been really fun to try to figure things out, yet I feel lost and wanted to reach out for help.
I don't necessarily want to get into supplements at the moment, just simply due to the fact that I want consistency with my diet and lifestyle before I go spending money on something I don't completely understand, especially not knowing my blood test to be able to measure it outside of my feelings and so on.
I feel extremely open to you guys giving me complete transparency on your thoughts and opinions, as outside of here I do not many people to understand where I am coming from.
Thank you to whoever reads this.
I feel excited and ready to hear your thoughts.:shame::shame::shame:
My personal opinion after trying a lot of different things is that the easiest way to lose bodyfat is to consume as little fat as possible and for the fat you do consume to be fully saturated. The easiest diet I've found to do while employing the recommendations from Peat and on the forum and others, etc. is

Fat free milk

Gelatin powder
Homemade broths (skim the fat) (time consuming but good)

fat free milk powder

Granulated sugar

Coffee (i use instant coffee)

carrot salad (recipes posted around)

orange juice/ frozen concentrate

apples sauce-homemade or a brand without added ascorbic acid (causes myself and some others issues but use your own discretion for everything obviously)

other fruits you find agreeable (a lot of discussions on the forum and elsewhere)

mushrooms-should be well cooked, more info about this is available around

liver as needed for the nutrients

oysters as needed for the nutrients

YamnayaMommy

My personal opinion after trying a lot of different things is that the easiest way to lose bodyfat is to consume as little fat as possible and for the fat you do consume to be fully saturated. The easiest diet I've found to do while employing the recommendations from Peat and on the forum and others, etc. is

Fat free milk

Gelatin powder
Homemade broths (skim the fat) (time consuming but good)

fat free milk powder

Granulated sugar

Coffee (i use instant coffee)

carrot salad (recipes posted around)

orange juice/ frozen concentrate

apples sauce-homemade or a brand without added ascorbic acid (causes myself and some others issues but use your own discretion for everything obviously)

other fruits you find agreeable (a lot of discussions on the forum and elsewhere)

mushrooms-should be well cooked, more info about this is available around

liver as needed for the nutrients

oysters as needed for the nutrients
Yes, and you might even get away without tracking if you do low-fat like described here.
Probably 80% of my calories come from skim milk, gelatin, and fruit. And I carefully weigh all the fatty foods (coconut oil, parmigiano, Gouda, etc) to make sure I don’t overconsume.

OP
A

Ashley_R

Yes, and you might even get away without tracking if you do low-fat like described here.
Probably 80% of my calories come from skim milk, gelatin, and fruit. And I carefully weigh all the fatty foods (coconut oil, parmigiano, Gouda, etc) to make sure I don’t overconsume.
Yeah, I've seen that being a trend the most difficult part about this I would say is trying to balance this with life haha as if I had no social life definitely would gladly drink skim milk, eat jello, fruits and juice all day long but most people consider that manic, especially with trying to go on dates, there is no place where I can be hmm lets go to a restaurant and order a glass of skim milk and fruit ?. Right now its a lot of trouble shooting I hopefully in the next 2 weeks update you guys on how things are going but as of now I am under 200 so WOOHOO, the weather is getting great so I am also trying to go on more walks or hopefully play some volleyball (my favorite sport)

YamnayaMommy

Yeah, eating out can be hard and honestly I think that, for most people, staying lean and eating out a lot is not feasible.

I dine out 1-2x/week and just eat less on the days for breakfast and lunch. I usually get something splurgy (like a burger) but get a side of fruit instead of fries.

Same with booze. I go through a lot of Prosecco and whiskey sours on the weekends but eat less food. Maybe it's not the best for my liver, but I'm in the best shape now that I've ever been, so it can't be that bad.

Have you checked out calisthenics? Lucy Limore has a great YouTube channel that might be inspiring. She started out as a fat girl and lost a ton of weight through strategic caloric deficit and getting into calisthenics.

Calisthenics are awesome because you can do them at home and they require minimal equipment. I am working on my handstand and pistol squat now, and have never enjoyed exercise more.

YamnayaMommy

Yeah, I've seen that being a trend the most difficult part about this I would say is trying to balance this with life haha as if I had no social life definitely would gladly drink skim milk, eat jello, fruits and juice all day long but most people consider that manic, especially with trying to go on dates, there is no place where I can be hmm lets go to a restaurant and order a glass of skim milk and fruit ?. Right now its a lot of trouble shooting I hopefully in the next 2 weeks update you guys on how things are going but as of now I am under 200 so WOOHOO, the weather is getting great so I am also trying to go on more walks or hopefully play some volleyball (my favorite sport)
congrats on getting under 200! That's a biggie!

OP
A

Ashley_R

Yeah, eating out can be hard and honestly I think that, for most people, staying lean and eating out a lot is not feasible.

I dine out 1-2x/week and just eat less on the days for breakfast and lunch. I usually get something splurgy (like a burger) but get a side of fruit instead of fries.

Same with booze. I go through a lot of Prosecco and whiskey sours on the weekends but eat less food. Maybe it's not the best for my liver, but I'm in the best shape now that I've ever been, so it can't be that bad.

Have you checked out calisthenics? Lucy Limore has a great YouTube channel that might be inspiring. She started out as a fat girl and lost a ton of weight through strategic caloric deficit and getting into calisthenics.

Calisthenics are awesome because you can do them at home and they require minimal equipment. I am working on my handstand and pistol squat now, and have never enjoyed exercise more.
Ive highly considered calisthenics and yeah well eating out has mainly been steaks and such so its nothing crazy, but its a lot more difficult to gage how to handle the day as when I under eat my sleep gets tankeddd. I shall figure it out though haha

coffeelover

Ive highly considered calisthenics and yeah well eating out has mainly been steaks and such so its nothing crazy, but its a lot more difficult to gage how to handle the day as when I under eat my sleep gets tankeddd. I shall figure it out though haha
I know it's been over a year now, are you still here, Ashley? Any updates?

coffeelover

good luck. If this approach is interesting and you want to know more, lemme know.
Yes! Me! 🙋‍♀️ I had 4 babies, now stuck at 195. 5'4". I know I need to count my calories but it's such a pain. Did you ever cut out starches? Did you eat the same thing from day to day to make calorie counting easier? I know my maintenance is around 2100 because I've been tracking as well as I can and my weight is stable. Only exercise I'm doing is walking as many days a week as I can (1 hour).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals