Chubby Guy Getting Chubbier

Giocondi

Hello All,

Been fine tuning my peat inspired lifestyle over the past few weeks. I've been trying to heal my overall relationship with food for the past year or so and have just continued to grow. I'm a 5'10'' male current at 235 pounds.

The first couple of days I went high sugar with the milk and oj I felt incredible, clothes were looser and I overall sense of well being was good. At the end of that first week I had what I think was a massive blood sugar crash (never had this before) and my body was screaming for fatty salty calories as I felt nauseous and weak. I hit a fast food drive through and just passed out for like 12 hours. Was a strange experience and has not repeated itself.

Is there some type of mechanism outside of CICO that would be causing excess weight gain on peat and does anyone have a potential remedy to fix this (I'm down to experiment)? I take 325-500 MG aspirin a day and just started taking Niacinamide, 1gram Tauring in the morning, 1 g glycine evening. I've read that all the B vitamins might help my crap metabolism to better utilize sugar. I also take 1 drop vitaming K in the morning (idealabs sup) and unique E in the evening. I work a desk job and if I don't get an outside walk at lunch ill take 5000IU d3 at night. Also have some magnesium chelate from a previous experiment that I take from time to time. I bought Pansterone and Tyromix from Haidut but am stopping that for now because I don't think my body can utilize it properly. Any suggestions regarding weight gain would be great.

I eat white rice or potatoes as my only starches and they don't seem to disagree with me from my perspective but who knows.

I know these types of threads are very difficult for others to assist besides the blanket statements. I know VLF is recommended and certain people have trouble losing weight on aspirin/niacinamide. From my life experience I feel there is some underlying mechanism causing my issues. And thought I can easily ignore hunger signals and make the scale go down, I know this is not my true goal. I'm hoping I can actually improve my body's capability to deal with fat storage. I don't need a quick fix, I just would love to avoid buying yet another size up of clothes. I can put on weight like it's nobody's business, fat around stomach and chest are always there (even when I was 175 my chest has fat around it).

My cold hands and feet have been going away over the past year as I gained excess weight. I've historically had dryish skin on my hands (the dry white lines look), and my digestion is not great (small pellet stool sometimes and sometimes miss days completely). Exercise is low but the excess weight is giving me anxiety and I might have to do something. Hopefully that paints a picture of my situation.

Thanks for listening and if anyone has suggestions of what they would do if they were in my shoes (not what you would do for your body) I'm all ears!

dbh25

Have you been tested for B vitamin levels or Vitamin D? To know if you are deficient. Can you reduce the supplements, and introduce them one at a time? To see how you react.
If you are not exercising, can you walk or bike outside?

Peatful

My suggestion...
Stop the aspirin and niacinamide for a month.
See what happens weight wise...

Also, try to keep your BS steady with macros 40/30/30 (C/P/F) each meal.

OP
G

Giocondi

Have you been tested for B vitamin levels or Vitamin D? To know if you are deficient. Can you reduce the supplements, and introduce them one at a time? To see how you react.
If you are not exercising, can you walk or bike outside?

No tests for vitamin deficiencies, I might need to do some forum searching for what affordable blood are tests and exactly what I need to have tested. I do walk 1-2 miles a few times a week. I have this idea that it's possible to get the human body to run relatively well without energy expenditure from exercise. I know for a fact I could obtain energy expenditure with exercise, but I really want to see if my body's propensity to store fat can be fixed by optimizing hormones. Aspirin and Niacinamide appear to be as close as a mass application as anything so I don't see a reason for stopping those. Cronometer shows low vit K from diet so I supp that to counterbalance. I searched this forum pretty heavily regarding weight loss and for whatever reason Taurine seemed to pop up constantly. Glycine helps me fall asleep when I feel I need it (don't use it daily). I aready take gelatin which already contains this so I don't see an issue with extra amino's via pill when I need help sleeping. I could drop the magnesium as it's a low dose and doubt it's doing much of anything. I take it with the Glycine at night when I want extra help sleeping.

Sometimes I feel like It's easier to just get get some relative cheap B vitamins and take them to see how I feel opposed to getting a blood test. I'm an accountant and work 6 days a week at the moment and it's kind of frowned upon to schedule much of anything during this time. I know bloodwork is invaluable but in the mean time it's more convenient to just experiment and go off digestion/mood/libido/weight.

Thanks for the response.

AretnaP

Peat says milk is good for obesity but I'm skeptical since it has high phosphate.

I feel the best thing may be eggshell calcium or even supplements.

CLASH

@Giocondi
I would say to try dropping the dairy, Increase your fat intake to about 120g per day from refined coconut oil, beef fat, and maybe butter depending on your reaction to it. I would drop the starch and then keep sugars over 200g per day from soda, fruit juice and fruits. For protein I would reccomend atleast 120g/ per day up to 160g for your size and I would do white fish, beef/organs and shrimp, scallops. I wouldnt worry about amino acid ratios as much, its a miniscule aspect compared to the big picture if you dont have a serious disease like cancer in my mind. I personally avoid eggs due to the PUFA. I would get your fiber from carrots and greens. For fruits I would try each individually to see how they make you feel. Coffee I would test as well. For supps I would keep it basic, b vitamins, vit E, vit D, vit K2, aspirin. I personally dont mess with the aminos, I have had wierd reactions to them. Haiduts products seem to work nicely, but I wouldnt use full doses everyday.

The dairy, especially cow dairy can have an opiate effect strongly in people, leading to the stool you discussed, weight gain and psycological symptoms. The weight gain will be around the belly and chest due to the down regulation of dopamine and subsequent upregulation of prolactin. Also, the milk contains various steroids that have a physiologic effect in my experience. Starch tends to lead to pathogenic bacherial overgrowth in the intestine if digestion isnt too strong. I find that the specific vegetable fibers dont do that. Also milk proteins can be immunogenic, even in the minute quantities in butter in sensitive people. So thats why I recommmend testing it out. The same for coconut oil, hence the refined recommendation. The fruit can be irritating due to the fructose:glucose ratio, raw starch (banana/ plantain), or fermentable sugars like sorbitol in apples. So you really have to test individually with fruit. Soda and sucrose seem to be the safest digestive wise due to the 1:1 ratio of easily digestible fructose and glucose. As for the fat, in my experience and reading it strongly supports the liver and the gi tract and I dont think all the bodies cells oxidize glucose like that. I think a baseline of fat and then adding sugar as needed on top is more ideal. But you have to try it out for yourself. Hope this helps. I’ve been where you are and have gone through all these steps and am still learning each day so I know how you feel to some extent. Thes recs are all from my experience and reading. They may work for you they may not, have to test and see. But I think dropping starch, eating enough fat, eating enough protein, dropping dairy and eating easily digestible sugars are very helpful for some people in the peat paradigm.

raypeatclips

@Giocondi
I would say to try dropping the dairy, Increase your fat intake to about 120g per day from refined coconut oil, beef fat, and maybe butter depending on your reaction to it. I would drop the starch and then keep sugars over 200g per day from soda, fruit juice and fruits. For protein I would reccomend atleast 120g/ per day up to 160g for your size and I would do white fish, beef/organs and shrimp, scallops. I wouldnt worry about amino acid ratios as much, its a miniscule aspect compared to the big picture if you dont have a serious disease like cancer in my mind. I personally avoid eggs due to the PUFA. I would get your fiber from carrots and greens. For fruits I would try each individually to see how they make you feel. Coffee I would test as well. For supps I would keep it basic, b vitamins, vit E, vit D, vit K2, aspirin. I personally dont mess with the aminos, I have had wierd reactions to them. Haiduts products seem to work nicely, but I wouldnt use full doses everyday.

The dairy, especially cow dairy can have an opiate effect strongly in people, leading to the stool you discussed, weight gain and psycological symptoms. The weight gain will be around the belly and chest due to the down regulation of dopamine and subsequent upregulation of prolactin. Also, the milk contains various steroids that have a physiologic effect in my experience. Starch tends to lead to pathogenic bacherial overgrowth in the intestine if digestion isnt too strong. I find that the specific vegetable fibers dont do that. Also milk proteins can be immunogenic, even in the minute quantities in butter in sensitive people. So thats why I recommmend testing it out. The same for coconut oil, hence the refined recommendation. The fruit can be irritating due to the fructose:glucose ratio, raw starch (banana/ plantain), or fermentable sugars like sorbitol in apples. So you really have to test individually with fruit. Soda and sucrose seem to be the safest digestive wise due to the 1:1 ratio of easily digestible fructose and glucose. As for the fat, in my experience and reading it strongly supports the liver and the gi tract and I dont think all the bodies cells oxidize glucose like that. I think a baseline of fat and then adding sugar as needed on top is more ideal. But you have to try it out for yourself. Hope this helps. I’ve been where you are and have gone through all these steps and am still learning each day so I know how you feel to some extent. Thes recs are all from my experience and reading. They may work for you they may not, have to test and see. But I think dropping starch, eating enough fat, eating enough protein, dropping dairy and eating easily digestible sugars are very helpful for some people in the peat paradigm.

Good post, sensible advice. Have you experimented with goat dairy at all?

OP
G

Giocondi

@Giocondi

Thanks a lot for the detailed response I think cutting out dairy/starch sounds like a feasible remedy. Just for information's sake I have slowly been decreasing my milk consumption. For whatever reason I have been more gassy (burps and farts) than I ever have in my life. Furthermore, the past week I have routinely had stomach discomfort towards the end of the day and my flatulence have a very strange odor, akin to a sinus infection type of smell. I eat carrot salad daily with a spoonful of coconut oil and a splash of vinegar. I usually drink 1 soda a day with real sugar and enjoy OJ as a fruit source. I never cut out starch completely before so that might be worth a shot. I think I will try the higher fat (Butter/coconut oil/grass fed meats + protein, with carrot salad, greens, gelatin, sugars.

I have always consumed coffee and currently do so with a splash of half and half, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp gelatin, 1-2 oz milk (never used to do sugar or milk before peat).

Thanks again for the detailed response, I have a good feeling about this metabolic health way of eating and think I may be able to work towards my happy place in a healthy manner. Cheers

dbh25

Thanks for the response.
I'd focus on diet, and away from all the supps. And the daily exercise outside. It sounds like you are under a lot of stress now (working 6 days/week), which may be affecting your metabolism also.
Good luck.

SolRosenberg

I second what dbh25 says about focusing on diet. While it’s true that a calorie is a calorie, not all calories are equal nor how they are handled in the body equally. Either a) there’s a caloric surplus, b) blood sugar is spiking too high or c) blood sugar is staying elevated for a prolonged period of time. Sometimes people have a change in set point. While difficult, set point can be manipulated.

I know a triathlete who needed some help to drop a few pounds. For him cutting calories wasn’t working, so then we started watching his macros very closely. That didn’t seem to work either. So I turned his attention to the actual weight (density) of the food he was consuming. This is where we found tremendous success for him.

To put it in perspective there are countless marathon runners who gain weight because their diet is not on par. Conversely I can put someone on an ultra clean diet with little to no exercise and they will lose significant amounts of weight.

As a friend of mine very astutely put it, think of exercise as a spoon and dieting as a shovel....if you’ve got a pile of weight to move would you rather use a spoon or shovel?

CLASH

@raypeatclips
I have used raw goat dairy, I have posted about it on the forum in multiple places if you want to check it out. It was significantly better than cow dairy for me, and it helped to clear up some gut issues i had. However, over time the opiate effect, especially with quantity (i.e. drinking aot of milk) was additive. My digestion slowed down a ton, leading to constipation and pebble like stools. My motivation went away, and I gained weight in the stomach and the chest area specifically, as well as got back acne. I attribute the motivation effect, weight gain and constipation to the opiate effects and the acne to the hormones in the milk. I knew about the opiate effects of milk prior to starting milk at all, the reason I chose goat milk was because its mostly A2 so the casomorphins are weaker. Reading @Travis turned me on to the depletion of dopamine and subsequent uptegulation of prolactin and the hormonal profile of milk. Once i stopped drinking milk, I dropped 10lbs in a week (all of it bodyfat and water weight) without going into any type of deficit. The whole calories in, calories out is a waste of time in my opinion, except in extremes. Whats more important is hormonal profile, which is based on immune activation, gut interaction and physiologic effect of foods that you are eating in my opinion.

raypeatclips

@raypeatclips
I have used raw goat dairy, I have posted about it on the forum in multiple places if you want to check it out. It was significantly better than cow dairy for me, and it helped to clear up some gut issues i had. However, over time the opiate effect, especially with quantity (i.e. drinking aot of milk) was additive. My digestion slowed down a ton, leading to constipation and pebble like stools. My motivation went away, and I gained weight in the stomach and the chest area specifically, as well as got back acne. I attribute the motivation effect, weight gain and constipation to the opiate effects and the acne to the hormones in the milk. I knew about the opiate effects of milk prior to starting milk at all, the reason I chose goat milk was because its mostly A2 so the casomorphins are weaker. Reading @Travis turned me on to the depletion of dopamine and subsequent uptegulation of prolactin and the hormonal profile of milk. Once i stopped drinking milk, I dropped 10lbs in a week (all of it bodyfat and water weight) without going into any type of deficit. The whole calories in, calories out is a waste of time in my opinion, except in extremes. Whats more important is hormonal profile, which is based on immune activation, gut interaction and physiologic effect of foods that you are eating in my opinion.

Thank you for the reply, interesting experience. What do you do for calcium these days, if you have stopped milk?

CLASH

Green leafy vegetables, but not everyday and I never meet peats recommended intake. Too be honest the calcium never really made a difference for me. When I took supps I’d just see calcium powder in my stools sometimes too. At this point I go based on feel for alot of things. Ill read something, try it, see how I feel and keep it or toss it. I dont worry about amino acids, or calcium, or potassium or sodium or magnesium ratios right now. I get all my macros and try to get all of my micros almost everyday from food, use the basic supps that I like, and go from there.

If your interested, so far the biggest improvement that I have made is increasing my fat to about 140-160g a day from tallow, has helped my gi tract out significantly (GI was my biggest issue overall). Going to experiment with adding refined coconut oil next.

raypeatclips

Green leafy vegetables, but not everyday and I never meet peats recommended intake. Too be honest the calcium never really made a difference for me. When I took supps I’d just see calcium powder in my stools sometimes too. At this point I go based on feel for alot of things. Ill read something, try it, see how I feel and keep it or toss it. I dont worry about amino acids, or calcium, or potassium or sodium or magnesium ratios right now. I get all my macros and try to get all of my micros almost everyday from food, use the basic supps that I like, and go from there.

If your interested, so far the biggest improvement that I have made is increasing my fat to about 140-160g a day from tallow, has helped my gi tract out significantly (GI was my biggest issue overall). Going to experiment with adding refined coconut oil next.

Fair enough, seems a sensible approach.

That is interesting, I have found benefits from increasing fat the past month or two, too. Mine is usually grassfed butter though, and fatty meats. I am interested in tallow but it is a bit more difficult to find.

CLASH

@raypeatclips
Its been working so far.

In the thread that kreeese posted about his weightloss with high fat and high sugar, I made a post about the possible mechanisms behind higher fats benefits. If your interested, check it out and let me know what you think. If you go to the grass fed med purveyors online you should be able to find it.

raypeatclips

@raypeatclips
Its been working so far.

In the thread that kreeese posted about his weightloss with high fat and high sugar, I made a post about the possible mechanisms behind higher fats benefits. If your interested, check it out and let me know what you think. If you go to the grass fed med purveyors online you should be able to find it.

Just read it, all seems pretty reasonable and not far fetched. I am not too sure about the mechanisms and more intricate parts about it so I don't know if your ideas are off somewhere, I just know I feel tons better than I did eating more fat. Your starch experience is interesting too, I find my health improves when I add starch, and the combination of fat and starch hasn't seem to do me any negatives particularly. My weight is stable eating high starch and fat, and I would like it to drop a little, but I'd rather feel good.

I do buy grass fed meat online but unfortunately my source doesn't stock it. I have found some sources though but they're quite expensive, I am tempted to experiment with it, thanks for the idea.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals