How Much Milk $

Birdie

How much milk do you use daily? How much do you spend on milk?
I started thinking about this today when my husband said we needed to do another milk run.

We use 2 half gallons of Organic Valley 1% per day. So, about 60 half gallons a month.
A half gallon costs about $4.00. So, that's about $ 240.00 a month for us.
Yearly about $ 2,880.00.

We have a dairy nearby and I tried their raw milk but we didn't like the taste. Of course, the taste would vary with the cow's diet, but I didn't want to get into seasonal tasting. It was expensive too, but if we'd loved it, that would make it worthwhile. And they do supplement with grains, another minus.

OP
B

Birdie

Oh, well guess not much interest. But one way or another we have to buy milk, so maybe figuring the cost isn't crucial!

ste199

You should buy a cow lol.
Seriously i spent about 1€ daily but i drink only 300/500 ml

dfspcc20

Family of 4.
We get Mill-King milk for $7/gallon. We go through around 4 gallons/week. So $28/week, or ~$1456/year. As our kids get older, I'm sure we'll need more.
But we eat a lot of cheese too, so that isn't accounted for here.

T

tca300

I drink 1 gallon per day and my wife 1/2 gallon. That equals about $4.25 per day. So about $1551.25 per year.

superhuman

@tca300 how are things going? have you gotten your tetracycline? i just got mine... finally. Took 1 month but it came :p

T

tca300

@superhuman Things are going good! I got my tetracycline a few weeks ago and took 500mg over the course of a few days. I didn't really notice anything though. Ray mentioned that 100mg twice a day was usually enough for general intestinal cleansing. But I have no clue how long one would want to take them for. Maybe I needed to do it for more than a few days. How have you been? Have you noticed anything from the tetracycline?

superhuman

@tca300 nice that its going good. Anything else or new you have tried or done that has made it work?

Ray told me: "I think 200 to 250 mg twice a day will usually do it in 3 or 4 days."

T

tca300

@superhuman No nothing new, just in the process of dropping a few pounds. When Ray said 200-250mg twice per day, was he talking about general bacteria overgrowth? Or something more serious?

superhuman

@tca300 cool, decreasing alot of kcals? sux to do.

My question to that answer from RP was. "
I was wondering what dosage and time frame you prefer to correct endotoxin issues and gut health?
I know you mention recently in the Danny Roddy podcast you said around 4 days."

loess

I buy Kalona SuperNatural whole milk at $6.50/gallon, pour it into jars and after it settles I scoop off the cream essentially making it skim milk. I often save some of the cream for later to make ice cream and other treats. I typically drink between a half gallon and a gallon per day, shop for milk once a week and buy 6 gallons at a time.

OP
B

Birdie

It looks like everybody is getting good deals on milk. I just gained a few pounds from, I think, overdoing the Jarlsberg cheese.
Thinking to add more milk and reduce the Jarlsberg a little. Always an adjustment to make.

I've taken rounds of minocycline and doxy. Low doses. I assume it helped with endotoxin.

superhuman

@tca300 good. What is your macros? you prefer no fat/low fat? and have you noticed fat loss from no fat/low fat vs moderate fat etc on same kcals?

T

tca300

@superhuman I prefer lower fat, but not too low, because I experience muscle loss when I go too low on the fat. I don't usually do the whole macro thing but, it basically comes out to 55% carbs 25% protein and about 20% fat. I have eaten really high fat ( saturated ) before and I had the same experience as Ray, where I had no problem managing my weight with it. I personally didn't find it tasty, and it negatively effected my workouts, it was more of an experiment than anything. The longer I go with a super low PUFA diet ( 1.5 grams or less per day ) the more I can eat and still lose weight, but I'm sure there will be a point when that doesn't happen anymore. Most bodybuilders have to cut at 1500cals or something crazy like that, so it's nice to be able to eat so much more and still lose.

OP
B

Birdie

I buy Kalona SuperNatural whole milk at $6.50/gallon, pour it into jars and after it settles I scoop off the cream essentially making it skim milk. I often save some of the cream for later to make ice cream and other treats. I typically drink between a half gallon and a gallon per day, shop for milk once a week and buy 6 gallons at a time.
Okay. I buy only about 3 gallons at a time, but might try your 6 because am shopping too often.

Rafe

On the more processed end the newish US brand, Fairlife, has been okay for me. It is branded as super-filtered/pure, but in fact it is milk w/ the usual added vitamins + lactase. It also must have added milk solids, whatever those are, b/c the nutrition label boasts a whopping 13g protein/cup. No carrageenan listed though. I'm taking 32 - 52oz./day fat free since I have gone to a hot climate for the next 6 -8 wks. $3.00/52oz, so about 21$/wk max.
I probably don't need the lactase, but it does go down easy.

chrismeyers

I drink 1 gallon a day of Organic Valley Lactose Free Fat Free milk. I get a case discount of 10% when I buy 6 half gallons, and I typically buy 2 6-packs per week, some weeks 3. With discount, that works out to $10.80 per day, or $324 per month. The reason this one is relatively more expensive is because I buy the lactose free. I am actively considering switching to Organic Valley Grassmilk instead because its about the same price and with no added vitamins (atleast in the whole variety)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals