How much sport, exercise do you do?

How much sport & exercise do you do?

• Only sedentary, keep the stress at bay. Paint, read, write, interviews by phone only, drive car.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Only light activities, walking (stairs/dog), bicyc for transport, lifting shopping bags, garden,yoga

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Sport once a week, medium intensity, heart rate over 130bpm, breaking a sweat, jogging, tennis etc

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Sport twice a week, medium intensity, no exhaustion, good stimulation, under 3hours/week.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Sport almost daily, medium intensity, soccer with friends, noncompetitive

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • High intensity once a week, strenuous, over 150bpm, near exhaustion

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • High intensity twice a week, pumping iron, competitive sports level.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • High intensity almost daily, go for gold Mr. Olympia!

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

Momma

Raising children not an option huh? Olympic sport i tell ya.

But to your point of the post. I exercised 7/7 days a week religiously for years. I exercise traditionally now 0/7 days; and my health is better. This is multifactorial of course.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Raising children not an option huh? Olympic sport i tell ya.

This poll is about the level of sport participation amongst RPF members. Sport activity is defined by a higher intensity performance, or how much work over how much time is done, heart rate or VoMax are measures of sports performance.
Motherhood can certainly have hardships but by my definition it would count as light physical activity.
But to your point of the post. I exercised 7/7 days a week religiously for years. I exercise traditionally now 0/7 days; and my health is better. This is multifactorial of course.

Thank you for your comment. I realize that my poll is limited to the present. Good luck, you can carry your price for your performance every day. :thumbright

Jennifer

I’m currently training to climb a mountain again so I do high intensity exercise (stair climbing—skipping a step—carrying a heavy pack) for one hour in the AM and one hour in the PM every day.

Momma

Motherhood can certainly have hardships but by my definition it would count as light physical activity.
It was just me being playful and reflective on my level of activity. However, I’m responding on the behalf of all mother’s- that what i do is not light physical activity. And yes i have lifted, crossfited and run in my past. I look forward to seeing your poll results. Thank you.

Herbie

My job is insane so my personal life evolves around laying down, floating.

LadyRae

incorporating microbursts of intense exercise into my day has really been amazing. It's kind of like miniature HIIT sessions...
Currently I mostly walk the dog a lot, but I will also do some biking, weather permitting. Every once in awhile I will run really fast for about 10 or 15 seconds, or ( pedal really hard). This doesn't seem to stimulate a stress reaction..

For years I was a long distance runner and I have won several marathons and half marathons in my age group. I could just fly along mile after mile doing six or six and a half minute miles... However, I subsequently suffered from amenorrhea and started to actually have fat gain and puffiness and squishy muscles, irritability, ravenous hunger, and sleep disturbances- that was definitely not what I was going for lol!

This past summer I completed a 300 mile backpacking trip with my daughter, and I wore a 35 lb pack. That was an amazing experience and I felt that the physical exertion was just right for both of us. We slept great and felt great and had no menstrual disturbances...

Initially, attaining optimal cardiovascular health will happen really fast when you're briskly walking or briskly doing anything for that matter. It's the recovery that takes longer for your body to adjust to. I think the heart becomes fit a lot sooner than the rest of our muscles...

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

I’m currently training to climb a mountain again so I do high intensity exercise (stair climbing—skipping a step—carrying a heavy pack) for one hour in the AM and one hour in the PM every day.
High intensity training for an hour twice a day !?
This sounds very hard, I would hope this is more high volume and a little bit less intensive or you might risk a burn out.
Anyway much respect and good luck for achieving your challenge in the mountains!

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

My job is insane so my personal life evolves around laying down, floating.
I worked on a construction site for 8 month, 9 hours per day, 6 days per week. As a translator I did little physical work but the stress from the chaos and standing all day left me feel destroyed at the end of the day. I can totally feel you. Physical stress is often less hard than mental stress.

Old Irenaeus

I do some lifting—deadlifts, rack pulls, push press, squats, bench, pull ups, push ups—but otherwise I just walk at a relaxed pace. And sometimes I break out into dance spontaneously, as happens from time to time, and that probably raises the heartbeat over 130. And I do the getting up and down anti fragile routine. Otherwise I am sedentary.

HIIT 1X/wk Take every 3rd week off. At this frequency it always feels like a bit of a shock, but over a 6 mo.+ time frame resukts can be seen comparable to the faster results seen with more intense programs.
Also, athletic hypogonadism and metabolic derangement/exercise addiction risk is reduced.
Ive read Peats comments on Eccentric exercise, so now like high concentric movements like hill sprints, farmers carry, car push/pull, though
I do think areas typically prone to injury, like hamstrings, have only to gain from some focused eccentric work.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

incorporating microbursts of intense exercise into my day has really been amazing. It's kind of like miniature HIIT sessions...
Currently I mostly walk the dog a lot, but I will also do some biking, weather permitting. Every once in awhile I will run really fast for about 10 or 15 seconds, or ( pedal really hard). This doesn't seem to stimulate a stress reaction..
Short burst of high intensity mixed with medium intensive activity is a very good, conservative strategy for increasing performance with the lowest risk.
For years I was a long distance runner and I have won several marathons and half marathons in my age group. I could just fly along mile after mile doing six or six and a half minute miles... However, I subsequently suffered from amenorrhea and started to actually have fat gain and puffiness and squishy muscles, irritability, ravenous hunger, and sleep disturbances- that was definitely not what I was going for lol!
I was a competitive track & field athlet for years and the high volume of high intensive training ended in injuries that made me quit competitive sports. Competitive sports is definitely unhealthy.
This past summer I completed a 300 mile backpacking trip with my daughter, and I wore a 35 lb pack. That was an amazing experience and I felt that the physical exertion was just right for both of us. We slept great and felt great and had no menstrual disturbances...
Walking in nature is certainly the best exercise, good for the soul too. Even better if you can share the experience with your own children.
Initially, attaining optimal cardiovascular health will happen really fast when you're briskly walking or briskly doing anything for that matter. It's the recovery that takes longer for your body to adjust to. I think the heart becomes fit a lot sooner than the rest of our muscles...
I agree with everything.

Jennifer

High intensity training for an hour twice a day !?
This sounds very hard, I would hope this is more high volume and a little bit less intensive or you might risk a burn out.
Anyway much respect and good luck for achieving your challenge in the mountains!

Thank you, Michael. :) I appreciate that. I don’t know if my training would be considered hard to others, but I’m preparing for an 8+ hour climb, potentially in the snow, which makes it that much more demanding, and I don’t want to put myself or the other climbers I’m with at risk. I climb a flight of stairs, skipping every other step, 10–20 times, then do a lap around the house and repeat the climbing and lapping for an hour, and follow it with a proper cool-down, which includes a huge bowl of ice cream, my proverbial carrot. 😁 I’ve been training since last year and with my diet and thyroid supplementation on point, my recovery is excellent, the best it has ever been. I sleep great and the only pain I feel is some soreness in my glutes when I increase the gear/weight in my pack, but it only lasts for a day and that’s it. I don’t even experience back pain, which is saying a lot given I had been struggling with debilitating pain even while sedentary, since my spine collapsed.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

HIIT 1X/wk Take every 3rd week off. At this frequency it always feels like a bit of a shock, but over a 6 mo.+ time frame resukts can be seen comparable to the faster results seen with more intense programs.
Also, athletic hypogonadism and metabolic derangement/exercise addiction risk is reduced.
Increasing performance needs patience. There's no training that can turn you into a champ over night.
A lot of coaches and athletes unfortunately don't get it and want to force progress only to end up with more harm than good.
Ive read Peats comments on Eccentric exercise, so now like high concentric movements like hill sprints, farmers carry, car push/pull, though
I do think areas typically prone to injury, like hamstrings, have only to gain from some focused eccentric work.
I'm very ambivalent about concentric only exercise too. Some activities that involve eccentric movement seem to be beneficial overall.

Jessie

I try and walk 4-5 miles everyday. I've been failing to meet my quota in this regard lately. More to do with my deranged weather patterns than anything else. I also do 100 pushups everyday without fail. Pushups are the prefect workout in my opinion.

Exercise is important, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It tones the vascular system, increases oxygen consumption, and makes you more resilient to stress. I remember when a big anti-exercise cult started pushing their agenda.

Honestly I blame Mark Sission's old blog for that. He had a post talking about the dangers of "chronic cardio" that, admittedly had some truths to it, but was taken wildly out of context by people looking for excuses of be lazy, lol.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Thank you, Michael. :) I appreciate that. I don’t know if my training would be considered hard to others, but I’m preparing for an 8+ hour climb, potentially in the snow, which makes it that much more demanding, and I don’t want to put myself or the other climbers I’m with at risk. I climb a flight of stairs, skipping every other step, 10–20 times, then do a lap around the house and repeat the climbing and lapping for an hour, and follow it with a proper cool-down, which includes a huge bowl of ice cream, my proverbial carrot. 😁 I’ve been training since last year and with my diet and thyroid supplementation on point, my recovery is excellent, the best it has ever been. I sleep great and the only pain I feel is some soreness in my glutes when I increase the gear/weight in my pack, but it only lasts for a day and that’s it. I don’t even experience back pain, which is saying a lot given I had been struggling with debilitating pain even while sedentary, since my spine collapsed.
Higher intensity and higher volume demande more time for recovery, as a rule of thumb.
Wellbeing and better performance are the true criteria for a good training.
As long as you feel well overall you're probably good.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

I try and walk 4-5 miles everyday. I've been failing to meet my quota in this regard lately. More to do with my deranged weather patterns than anything else. I also do 100 pushups everyday without fail. Pushups are the prefect workout in my opinion.
Strength and endurance training is complementary
Exercise is important, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It tones the vascular system, increases oxygen consumption, and makes you more resilient to stress. I remember when a big anti-exercise cult started pushing their agenda.
After only 30 minutes of moderate jogging I'm warm for hours. Certainly pro metabolic.
Honestly I blame Mark Sission's old blog for that. He had a post talking about the dangers of "chronic cardio" that, admittedly had some truths to it, but was taken wildly out of context by people looking for excuses of be lazy, lol.
I've read some blog post of Mike Sission too and I like his playful approach to exercise.
He was a professional triathlon athlete, the amount of training he came from is inconceivable for most people.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals