How much sport, exercise do you do?

How much sport & exercise do you do?

• Only sedentary, keep the stress at bay. Paint, read, write, interviews by phone only, drive car.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Only light activities, walking (stairs/dog), bicyc for transport, lifting shopping bags, garden,yoga

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Sport once a week, medium intensity, heart rate over 130bpm, breaking a sweat, jogging, tennis etc

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Sport twice a week, medium intensity, no exhaustion, good stimulation, under 3hours/week.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Sport almost daily, medium intensity, soccer with friends, noncompetitive

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • High intensity once a week, strenuous, over 150bpm, near exhaustion

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • High intensity twice a week, pumping iron, competitive sports level.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • High intensity almost daily, go for gold Mr. Olympia!

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

I do some lifting—deadlifts, rack pulls, push press, squats, bench, pull ups, push ups—but otherwise I just walk at a relaxed pace. And sometimes I break out into dance spontaneously, as happens from time to time, and that probably raises the heartbeat over 130. And I do the getting up and down anti fragile routine. Otherwise I am sedentary.
When I watch dancing competitions I always admire the dancer's amazing physique, even in older dancers. There must be something magical about dancing. Unfortunately I never got into it.
If you work out just once a week you're not sedentary.

Last edited:

LadyRae

Short burst of high intensity mixed with medium intensive activity is a very good, conservative strategy for increasing performance with the lowest risk.

I was a competitive track & field athlet for years and the high volume of high intensive training ended in injuries that made me quit competitive sports. Competitive sports is definitely unhealthy.

Walking in nature is certainly the best exercise, good for the soul too. Even better if you can share the experience with your own children.

I agree with everything.
Well I thank you! It's been a challenge to tailer exercise to my changing body's needs. But less (compared to what I was doing) does seem to be better for me personally. However, I've never been overweight or had an inclination towards that, so, I would assume different bodies will need more or less exercise than me

Jessie

Strength and endurance training is complementary

After only 30 minutes of moderate jogging I'm warm for hours. Certainly pro metabolic.

I've read some blog post of Mike Sission too and I like his playful approach to exercise.
He was a professional triathlon athlete, the amount of training he came from is inconceivable for most people.
He left much to be desired with regards to nutrition, but his ideas about workout and exercise was definitely "above par" in my opinion. I don't think people realized when he was talking about "chronic cardio" he was referring to SERIOUS long distance training every single day. I think people forget he was an Iron Man competitor on long distance running, lol.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

Well I thank you! It's been a challenge to tailer exercise to my changing body's needs. But less (compared to what I was doing) does seem to be better for me personally. However, I've never been overweight or had an inclination towards that, so, I would assume different bodies will need more or less exercise than me
Fortunately the biggest return on investment in exercise occurs at the beginning of the curve and flattens out quickly.
Training 2-3 times a week for 30-60min with medium intensity plus some bursts of high intensity for 6-12minutes twice weekly will unlock your potential. It just takes you a decade or two. But doing more won't increase the end result much.

Jennifer

Higher intensity and higher volume demande more time for recovery, as a rule of thumb.
Wellbeing and better performance are the true criteria for a good training.
As long as you feel well overall you're probably good.

That’s good to know. Thank you. :)

OccamzRazer

I’m currently training to climb a mountain again so I do high intensity exercise (stair climbing—skipping a step—carrying a heavy pack) for one hour in the AM and one hour in the PM every day.
Nice! But...no rest days at all?

Jennifer

Nice! But...no rest days at all?

Thanks! :) No, no rest days unless I feel I need it, which I haven't. It actually feels good to channel all this energy I have into something besides dance, however, I don't plan on keeping up this kind of training after the initial climb and I may even decided I no longer care for climbing mountains. I just need to do it again at least one last time, for certain reasons.

OccamzRazer

Thanks! :) No, no rest days unless I feel I need it, which I haven't. It actually feels good to channel all this energy I have into something besides dance, however, I don't plan on keeping up this kind of training after the initial climb and I may even decided I no longer care for climbing mountains. I just need to do it again at least one last time, for certain reasons.
Wow, I guess Peating has given you a huge work tolerance! Impressive.

Do you have any experience with tapering prior to target events? It can be really helpful once you've already done the hard work.

Stilgar

My job is insane so my personal life evolves around laying down, floating.
God I hear ya, more or less describes my day to day. I trampoline a bit but I wish I had time to do more. I like feeling toned, but my job consumes most of my time, and mental time, so I have little energy for exercise. I can’t build muscle in that over exerted state if I push myself. But god I love exercise on the rare occasions I have the time. Feels very healing when you do it right, albeit I rarely know when to stop.

Jennifer

Wow, I guess Peating has given you a huge work tolerance! Impressive.

Do you have any experience with tapering prior to target events? It can be really helpful once you've already done the hard work.

Up until I switched to a high-carb, low-protein, plant-based diet and fractured, I had a huge work tolerance—I grew up highly active as a dancer, cheerleader and later a hiker—but thyroid has done wonders for my joints and keeping adrenaline down. Because of the level of damage to my spine when it collapsed, I risk paralysis if I were to fracture again so I’m very cautious not to push myself past my tolerance and I always fuel my body pre and post training.

I don’t have any experience with tapering, no. When I was still actively hiking, I would spend the weekend climbing multiple mountains and then the rest of the week dancing and walking my dogs. Despite thyroid lowering my adrenaline, I still have a lot of energy and feel my best when I can move my body. Even after I fractured and had to relearn how to walk, I was doing laps around the house multiple times a day, albeit slower than now, but I was moving my body.

Runenight201

I do calisthenics training and cardio daily, for blood flow, flexibility, muscle strength, cardio respiratory health, detoxification, and most importantly, mental clarity.

I just bought some minimalist shoes and they are a total game changer when it comes to exercising. I haven’t ran in them yet and will most likely be very cautious about how I scale that up, but they provide such a more intimate connection with the ground. I feel so much more stable in them, allowing the musculature in my feet, which atrophy due to wearing cushioned soles, engage and become the support for the rest of my body.

There is certainly a way to exercise where it is a negative stress and detrimental to well-being, but there is also a way to exercise where it becomes an incredibly vitality inducing practice, bringing one to higher states of health and well-being.

-Luke-

I just bought some minimalist shoes and they are a total game changer when it comes to exercising. I haven’t ran in them yet and will most likely be very cautious about how I scale that up, but they provide such a more intimate connection with the ground. I feel so much more stable in them, allowing the musculature in my feet, which atrophy due to wearing cushioned soles, engage and become the support for the rest of my body.
Being very cautious is a good idea. I bought some in 2016 or so and had a stress fracture in my foot from walking/hiking in them (not huge distances). No running. Switching from "normal" shoes to minimalist shoes is no joke.

Runenight201

Being very cautious is a good idea. I bought some in 2016 or so and had a stress fracture in my foot from walking/hiking in them (not huge distances). No running. Switching from "normal" shoes to minimalist shoes is no joke.

Do you still wear them? I’m crossing my fingers that the combination of caution and solid nutrition will save me from problems and instead make me a sound mover! 🤞🏽

LadyRae

Do you still wear them? I’m crossing my fingers that the combination of caution and solid nutrition will save me from problems and instead make me a sound mover! 🤞🏽
Just make sure that you're not one of those runners that slams their heel into the ground first. With a minimalist shoe you should land on the widest, "ball" part of your foot.

When you switch to a minimalist shoe your own personal foot and leg strength will be exposed. In the beginning of a 250 mile backpacking trip a couple years ago, I had to ditch my fancy hiking shoes because they were giving me a blister. Instead, I completed the hike and a thin pair of New balance tennis shoes with the liner taken out! I've never felt more comfortable.

And then just this last summer when I hiked 300 miles with a 35 lb pack in the North Cascades, I also just used a thin pair of tennis shoes, they felt like a moccasin. No blisters or soreness😁

Ritchie

I do calisthenics training and cardio daily, for blood flow, flexibility, muscle strength, cardio respiratory health, detoxification, and most importantly, mental clarity.

There is certainly a way to exercise where it is a negative stress and detrimental to well-being, but there is also a way to exercise where it becomes an incredibly vitality inducing practice, bringing one to higher states of health and well-being.
Same - Cali daily, cardio daily (walking, running or swimming no more than 20 min usually), deep stretching daily. Body movement and strength training is IMO absolutely crucial for over all health, both physical and mental. It affects everything, and crucial for deep well rested sleep as well. If supported by a high carbohydrate, high fruit and sugar pro metabolic diet it is also crucial for strong and healthy metabolism.

-Luke-

No, I wear shoes that are advertised as "barefoot shoes", they have a flat and flexible sole, but not as thin as those minimalist shoes.

Edit:
To answer the question in the title: I no longer have a regular training program, but rather train spontaneously and depending on my stress level. Bodyweight exercises (pushups, body rows, jumping squats,...) with a weight vest, pistols, short sprints, etc. Never more than 15 minutes at a time. And I just go for a walk/hike every day.

So it's either low volume/medium to high(ish) intensity or medium/high(ish) volume and very low intensity. It's throwing both together (medium/highish volume and intensity) that kills me.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals