How to drop body fat with a high success rate

AnonE

Here's what you do. Pick a calorie amount, try eating that for a few days to a week. Did your weight go slightly up, or slightly down? Adjust down by a few hundred calories, try again.

Eat your favorite healthy and balanced foods, whether that's Peat inspired, low carb, whatever.

This algorithm always works! If it doesn't, you did something wrong, didn't track properly, etc.

Protip 1: up your protein percentage of calories for increased satiation and extra thermic effect.

Protip 2: forget these BMR calculators, just do the experiment and figure out your "number" and adjust as needed.

OP
S

SamYo123

Here's what you do. Pick a calorie amount, try eating that for a few days to a week. Did your weight go slightly up, or slightly down? Adjust down by a few hundred calories, try again.

Eat your favorite healthy and balanced foods, whether that's Peat inspired, low carb, whatever.

This algorithm always works! If it doesn't, you did something wrong, didn't track properly, etc.

Protip 1: up your protein percentage of calories for increased satiation and extra thermic effect.

Protip 2: forget these BMR calculators, just do the experiment and figure out your "number" and adjust as needed.
You didn't watch it

Jessie

I'm not going to watch all of this, but I agree with the first 7 minutes.

There's those who lose weight by eating less than they burn...and then there's those who lie. Lying to others about how (they lost) or why (they didn't). And also lying to themselves.

EnergeticLeo

I'm not going to watch all of this, but I agree with the first 7 minutes.

There's those who lose weight by eating less than they burn...and then there's those who lie. Lying to others about how (they lost) or why (they didn't). And also lying to themselves.
@AnonE
True that you need to eat less than you burn, but I think Peat emphasises that fact that we focus too much on how much we eat, rather than how much we burn. Instead of just varying the amount of food we eat, he suggests we can also vary other factors that control metabolic rate e.g. CO2 / altitude, youth-steroids, sugars over fats, saturated fats over PUFAs etc.... I think simply focussing on the caloric intake can be a very dangerous strategy, because you may end up reducing calories to a very low level to sustain weight loss, when a healthier strategy would be to focus on keeping the temperature up so you don't have to cut calories as much. If Peat is right, then we want as much energy flowing through the system as possible, whether we are trying to lose weight or improve cognitive function. If one can lose weight with a higher amount of energy flowing through the system, then that'll be the healthier approach.
e.g. here@1:53:

View: https://youtu.be/3fVx5yk73t4?t=6835

Last edited:

Jessie

@AnonE
True that you need to eat less than you burn, but I think Peat emphasises that fact that we focus too much on how much we eat, rather than how much we burn. Instead of just varying the amount of food we eat, he suggests we can also vary other factors that control metabolic rate e.g. CO2 / altitude, youth-steroids, sugars over fats, saturated fats over PUFAs etc.... I think simply focussing on the caloric intake can be a very dangerous strategy, because you may end up reducing calories to a very low level to sustain weight loss, when a healthier strategy would be to focus on keeping the temperature up so you don't have to cut calories as much. If Peat is right, then we want as much energy flowing through the system as possible, whether we are trying to lose weight or improve cognitive function. If one can lose weight with a higher amount of energy flowing through the system, then that'll be the healthier approach.
e.g. here:

View: https://youtu.be/3fVx5yk73t4?t=4618

I don't disagree. If you're severely hypothyroid, you can eat less than 1,000 calories a day and still not lose much weight. And what you do lose will likely be muscle.

I think one of the important underlying messages in Ray's work is how much metabolic health is important for appropriate eating cycles to begin with. Correcting thyroid, avoiding PUFA, keeping estrogen in check, lowering endotoxins. All these things work to improve the health of the metabolism, but, specifically, also the liver.

When a liver is not healthy, it's not going to store glycogen well, which will result in bizarre (and quite often, frequent) eating patterns. When the metabolic rate is corrected, you can have high amounts of energy flowing through the system while also being in a slight caloric deficit.

I don't think it's a coincidence that metabolically friendly practices also tend to be the things that help the liver and stabilize blood sugar throughout the day.

kimbriel

I am a bit surprised to see this in the Ray Peat Forum.

There are Peat interviews out there where he discusses studies that hospitalized women with hypothyroidism weren't able to lose weight on 700 calories a day.

I'm sorry, but if you have to restrict your eating to less than 700 calories a day in order to lose fat, the problem is the amount your body is burning (metabolism) rather than the amount you're eating. You need to address that first.

I was on OMAD and not losing on 1 meal of 1200 cals a day. That's how I discovered my Hashimoto's. I'm having to do a lot of repair work first, I'll worry about fat loss later.

Regina

There are Peat interviews out there where he discusses studies that hospitalized women with hypothyroidism weren't able to lose weight on 700 calories a day.

I'm sorry, but if you have to restrict your eating to less than 700 calories a day in order to lose fat, the problem is the amount your body is burning (metabolism) rather than the amount you're eating. You need to address that first.

I was on OMAD and not losing on 1 meal of 1200 cals a day. That's how I discovered my Hashimoto's. I'm having to do a lot of repair work first, I'll worry about fat loss later.
I Agree!

What he described sounded like a good way to rachet down your metabolic rate. Telling the organism that the outside environment is harsh.
Kinda felt sorry for his girlfriend.

LadyRae

Yes, yes! Good for you! But the Layne Nortons out there don't want us to forget that only calories matter.
I'm 45 right now but I think that my 30s was my best decade metabolically. I was breastfeeding ( I have four kids so I literally breastfed for about 10 years).....and drinking around 1200 calories of dark beer a day, in addition to 2-3,000 calories of food. I was about 125 lb and I'm 5'10. I would occasionally go for a walk but that's it...

The calorie model is a joke....

Jessie

Obviously subjects should correct their underlying hypothyroidism before thinking about weight loss, but yeah, "calories in calories out" is a real thing. I've heard Peat in numerous interviews not disagreeing with this. It's why he recommended low-fat dairy, because sedentary people don't need the extra calories.

There would never be a real reason for someone to restrain themselves to 700 calories anyways, if you go that low might as well just do a real fasting protocol and get it over with.

If men, in general, are suppose to have 2,500 calories daily, then going no lower than 2,000 would be wise for weight loss. Same for women, who, in general, are suppose to be around 2,000 calories daily. Going lower than 1,500 calories wouldn't be advisable for weight loss.

kimbriel

Obviously subjects should correct their underlying hypothyroidism before thinking about weight loss, but yeah, "calories in calories out" is a real thing. I've heard Peat in numerous interviews not disagreeing with this. It's why he recommended low-fat dairy, because sedentary people don't need the extra calories.

There would never be a real reason for someone to restrain themselves to 700 calories anyways, if you go that low might as well just do a real fasting protocol and get it over with.

If men, in general, are suppose to have 2,500 calories daily, then going no lower than 2,000 would be wise for weight loss. Same for women, who, in general, are suppose to be around 2,000 calories daily. Going lower than 1,500 calories wouldn't be advisable for weight loss.
I already drink low fat milk for this reason? Limiting fat intake overall is one way to also limit PUFA.

I can just honestly tell you, 1200 calories, 1500 calories, I don't lose weight. I won't try to go below that just to lose weight. I have serious thyroid issues as well as liver involvement (now fatty liver). I care more about fixing that than I do about a number on the scale.

At some point when I somehow fix my thyroiditis and fatty liver, I'll try to focus on fat loss at that point, but for now I can honestly say calories in, calories out is a failure for me. After decades of my life when it did actually work. I was slender and skinny my whole life until my thyroid issues.

LadyRae

I already drink low fat milk for this reason? Limiting fat intake overall is one way to also limit PUFA.

I can just honestly tell you, 1200 calories, 1500 calories, I don't lose weight. I won't try to go below that just to lose weight. I have serious thyroid issues as well as liver involvement (now fatty liver). I care more about fixing that than I do about a number on the scale.

At some point when I somehow fix my thyroiditis and fatty liver, I'll try to focus on fat loss at that point, but for now I can honestly say calories in, calories out is a failure for me. After decades of my life when it did actually work. I was slender and skinny my whole life until my thyroid issues.
💕🔥

LadyRae

This study shows that thin people "run hotter" , don't exercise much, and aren't as hungry...

In my experience, exercise ( like jogging or anything sweaty and breathless) just makes me ravenous and irritable...

Relying on exercise to lose weight is a mistake in my opinion

LadyRae

Oops, trying to figure out how to link to another thread...

People with low BMI aren't more active, they are just less hungry and 'run hotter'
Thread starterBodhiBlues Start dateJul 15, 2022 TagsNone
Unwatch

•••

Jessie

Sure, no responsible person would recommend someone with thyroid issues to focus on weight loss. Anything weight loss related, whether it's caloric restriction or exercise, is a stressor. Stressors should be avoided when in a hypo state. My comment was directed to the OP. Under the implied assumption that we're talking about someone without underlying metabolic issues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals