I got off of Effexor for Cataplexy using Zyn nicotine pouches.

Scarytrout

Narcolepsy with Cataplexy Masked by the Use of NicotineI've got narcolepsy with cataplexy. I was being treated with Provigil for sleep attacks and Effexor XR for cataplexy. I got off of Provigil because the doctor wanted me to pee test for the DEA to verify that I was not selling my prescription. I did not take kindly to this since it was implicitly accusatory and also implied that my doctor was providing information about my medications with the government, so chose not to comply. I found that I could tough it out by staying active and on my feet, and taking a quick controlled nap when necessary. The Effexor was more difficult to part with. I hate cataplexy, I lose control of my voluntary muscles upon experiencing strong emotion, usually anticipation or laughter. There is no pain, but it feels like God hates you. Effexor works well against cataplexy. I hated being on an antidepressant, originally because I didn't like being dependent upon a doctor, then moreso after learning Peaty stuff and the negative aspects of serotonin. I was on Provigil for like 22 years or so, Effexor for 26. I started using Zyn nicotine pouches over the summer, I like the intensity of focus nicotine provides me, as well as having some flavor in my mouth during the work day. One day, a few weeks ago, I got half way to work and realized I had forgotten to take Effexor in the morning. I didn't want to burden the coworker that I carpool with so I decided to tough it out and not go back for it. Nothing happened, I remembered a post on some narcolepsy forum from years back an anecdote wherein someone mentioned experiencing less trouble with cataplexy when they used to smoke cigarettes. Over the following weekend I chose to deliberately abstain from the Effexor. Again, nothing happened, no cataplexy. I didn't taper off of the Effexor, I just verified that Nicotine was doing the trick. I've been Effexor free since then. I feel liberated and kind of empowered somehow. I've had a little cataplexy here and there, generally in the evening while watching silly videos. I think the nicotine is more effective than the Effexor, since even with that there were instances of cataplexy. I'm elated with this. It bothered me to have to explain to the doctor every time that I was not on Effexor for depression or mood, but for cataplexy. It bothered me that I probably had excess serotonin while on Effexor. I'm happy to have a ubiquitous access to nicotine at most gas stations. Being dependent on a prescription really bothered me. I did a search for Nicotine+cataplexy, I found a report of another person who dealt with narcolepsy/cataplexy with nicotine. I'll link to it below. I'm posting this so anyone who searches narcolepsy/cataplexy on the Ray Peat forum will find this and hopefully experience some relief.

Narcolepsy with Cataplexy Masked by the Use of Nicotine

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals