I think I may have finally fixed my digestion

Peatful

I would be interested as to what would happen if you took out the guar gum and only used the yogurt.

Of course not asking you to do that- but when more than one therapeutic agent is used- I wonder if it’s the combo or one alone.

professor_sue

This is all very informative. I've suffered from chronic gut problems for well over 25 years and counting. I've never seemed to be able to resolve it permanently. So many people have gut issues, I honestly think it's something in the environment (air, water, soil, then food) that is messing things up. I've gotten suicidal at points because of the bloating, gas, pain etc. It's horrible. I use all the things to help me with motility but I have to use things like activated charcoal, cascara (I actually have found Dr Morse's GI Mover 5 Super Mover to be incredibly helpful), and a Thorne product with Bismuth to reduce "load" of fungus, microbes etc. In my colon to help me out. I have concluded that I am in a perpetual state of colonic bacterial overgrowth, all kinds of microbes but too many. No way of eating helps. Well, not eating helps. I really wish I could be truly breatharian and never consume food of any kind. I've recently been working on learning German New Medicine but I haven't had much success. Something subconscious, a deep-seated PTSD around food, keeps me from being successful. I have found it truly depressing. I'm accepting that I'll have to just live with it and manage it. And I am merely trying to eat normal foods, nothing insane or junky.

I've been whey/casein/lactose intolerant since I was 25 years old (I'm 52). Don't bother suggesting raw milk. Not happening. I don't really think dairy is all that healthy anyway. I know, not a Peaty view but oh well. I am also allergic to wheat apparently. Even some fruits, high FODMAPS, are problematic. Meat is okay but I end up gaining lots of weight from eating it even in small amounts. I'm on thyroid medication (Armour 120 mg) and HRT for crazy hormonal imbalances. PMS and menopause have been devils and evils for me.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'm watching or following this thread and will keep checking in on it for ideas, suggestions etc. If I can overcome the PTSD around certain things, I may try them. Probiotics are completely out, don't bother recommending. I've tried too many kinds to count, including fermented foods, etc.. utter GI disaster. Again, the devil in a bottle. So.. yep, that's me.

Oh, one last thing..A good friend, my ex actually, bought me a 23 and Me kit so I decided to just send in my spit and see what is revealed. I don't think anyone in the world would be interested in replicating me with my messed up guts. Lol... it's terrible. Hoping and looking for answers, anywhere. Praying that maybe someday I won't need food. And if it's when I am good and dead, I'm at peace with that. Living with gut issues is a total nightmare. Okay have a great day, y'all!

OP
D

dogtrainer

I would be interested as to what would happen if you took out the guar gum and only used the yogurt.

Of course not asking you to do that- but when more than one therapeutic agent is used- I wonder if it’s the combo or one alone.
I actually have done just plain BB536 yogurt in 2021. It helped. It reduced my bloating. Helped with stools.

But this combo is better. I am barely bloated.

OP
D

dogtrainer

This is all very informative. I've suffered from chronic gut problems for well over 25 years and counting. I've never seemed to be able to resolve it permanently. So many people have gut issues, I honestly think it's something in the environment (air, water, soil, then food) that is messing things up. I've gotten suicidal at points because of the bloating, gas, pain etc. It's horrible. I use all the things to help me with motility but I have to use things like activated charcoal, cascara (I actually have found Dr Morse's GI Mover 5 Super Mover to be incredibly helpful), and a Thorne product with Bismuth to reduce "load" of fungus, microbes etc. In my colon to help me out. I have concluded that I am in a perpetual state of colonic bacterial overgrowth, all kinds of microbes but too many. No way of eating helps. Well, not eating helps. I really wish I could be truly breatharian and never consume food of any kind. I've recently been working on learning German New Medicine but I haven't had much success. Something subconscious, a deep-seated PTSD around food, keeps me from being successful. I have found it truly depressing. I'm accepting that I'll have to just live with it and manage it. And I am merely trying to eat normal foods, nothing insane or junky.

I've been whey/casein/lactose intolerant since I was 25 years old (I'm 52). Don't bother suggesting raw milk. Not happening. I don't really think dairy is all that healthy anyway. I know, not a Peaty view but oh well. I am also allergic to wheat apparently. Even some fruits, high FODMAPS, are problematic. Meat is okay but I end up gaining lots of weight from eating it even in small amounts. I'm on thyroid medication (Armour 120 mg) and HRT for crazy hormonal imbalances. PMS and menopause have been devils and evils for me.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'm watching or following this thread and will keep checking in on it for ideas, suggestions etc. If I can overcome the PTSD around certain things, I may try them. Probiotics are completely out, don't bother recommending. I've tried too many kinds to count, including fermented foods, etc.. utter GI disaster. Again, the devil in a bottle. So.. yep, that's me.

Oh, one last thing..A good friend, my ex actually, bought me a 23 and Me kit so I decided to just send in my spit and see what is revealed. I don't think anyone in the world would be interested in replicating me with my messed up guts. Lol... it's terrible. Hoping and looking for answers, anywhere. Praying that maybe someday I won't need food. And if it's when I am good and dead, I'm at peace with that. Living with gut issues is a total nightmare. Okay have a great day, y'all!
I know. And I’m sorry. Trust me I understand. I won’t recommend anything to you. It took me nearly years to try anything related to probiotics. I would have gladly given up 25% of my remaining years to live symptom free the rest of my life.

Of course you have PTSD around food. When you can’t eat you become consumed with low blood sugar dark thoughts. Everything is bleak when you’re in this state. I am so sorry.

I know you’re not looking for advice but don’t discount the fungal side of things. Many times fungus and bacteria complex together in a mutually beneficial biofilm. Candida and S. Aureus can do that, for example. So killing fungus does a lot of good things. It reduces acetaldehyde load, it stops the hyphae from invading your gut, it eliminates a safe harbor for pathogenic bacteria.

Hope you find something that helps soon.

Peatful

Excellent.

Did you ever try phages?
If so- what was your experience?
I actually have done just plain BB536 yogurt in 2021. It helped. It reduced my bloating. Helped with stools.

But this combo is better. I am barely bloated.

InChristAlone

professor_sue

I know. And I’m sorry. Trust me I understand. I won’t recommend anything to you. It took me nearly years to try anything related to probiotics. I would have gladly given up 25% of my remaining years to live symptom free the rest of my life.

Of course you have PTSD around food. When you can’t eat you become consumed with low blood sugar dark thoughts. Everything is bleak when you’re in this state. I am so sorry.

I know you’re not looking for advice but don’t discount the fungal side of things. Many times fungus and bacteria complex together in a mutually beneficial biofilm. Candida and S. Aureus can do that, for example. So killing fungus does a lot of good things. It reduces acetaldehyde load, it stops the hyphae from invading your gut, it eliminates a safe harbor for pathogenic bacteria.

Hope you find something that helps soon.
Thank you for your kind words ?? I really appreciate it. I'm just in a bad state at the moment. I definitely think fungal issues could be what is going on. I did stool testing like ... wow, almost 8 years ago now .. and I think I remember it indicating that I had higher levels of yeast than what is normally desired. Low levels of butyrate too. I have looked into supplementing with butyrate but all of them have something in the product that will wreak havoc on my gut. So that's out, too.

I am open to ideas, it's just that I have been researching GI crap, haha, pun intended, for decades to no avail. Even considered fecal microbial transplant (FMT) at one point but I am wary of it and am not convinced it will work. My number 1 criteria would be for healthy skinny poop. Apparently, if you get FMT from a heavy person, you'll end up like that, no matter what you eat or do. That thought is horrifying to me. I naturally carry excess weight. Even when I went through a period of severe gut illness and lost a ton of weight... I looked pretty terrible (collar bones, some ribs and vertebrae showed distinctly)... I was still overweight per the BMI scale. At that time I was 5'4" and 128 lbs. Apparently 120 lbs is perfect for my height. Lol.. If I could maintain 145/150 I'd be happy. Aging and weight gain seem to be a thing for hypothyroid, menopausal women in their 50s. Truthfully, if I could have 1 full day without gas, bloating and constipation, I'd be thrilled. Hasn't happened since my youth. For real.

So.. that's that. Gonna look into colonics again, maybe a liquid, all fruit diet for awhile and limited solid food, until this passes. Thank you again for your kind words. Much appreciated!

And I appreciate everyone's input!!

Perry Staltic

Does everyone with gut issues know what their vitamin D levels are? I'm reading that "Anti-inflammatory functions of Vit D include regulation of gut microbiome and maintaining microbial diversity. It promotes growth of gut-friendly commensal strains of Bifida and Fermicutus species."

OP
D

dogtrainer

Does everyone with gut issues know what their vitamin D levels are? I'm reading that "Anti-inflammatory functions of Vit D include regulation of gut microbiome and maintaining microbial diversity. It promotes growth of gut-friendly commensal strains of Bifida and Fermicutus species
Thank you for your kind words ??and I think I remember it indicating that I had higher levels of yeast than what is normally desired. Low levels of butyrate too. I have looked into supplementing with butyrate but all of them have something in the product that will wreak havoc on my gut. So that's out, too.
Thank you for your kind words ?? I really appreciate it. I'm just in a bad state at the moment. I definitely think fungal issues could be what is going on. I did stool testing like ... wow, almost 8 years ago now .. and I think I remember it indicating that I had higher levels of yeast than what is normally desired. Low levels of butyrate too. I have looked into supplementing with butyrate but all of them have something in the product that will wreak havoc on my gut. So that's out, too.

I am open to ideas, it's just that I have been researching GI crap, haha, pun intended, for decades to no avail. Even considered fecal microbial transplant (FMT) at one point but I am wary of it and am not convinced it will work. My number 1 criteria would be for healthy skinny poop. Apparently, if you get FMT from a heavy person, you'll end up like that, no matter what you eat or do. That thought is horrifying to me. I naturally carry excess weight. Even when I went through a period of severe gut illness and lost a ton of weight... I looked pretty terrible (collar bones, some ribs and vertebrae showed distinctly)... I was still overweight per the BMI scale. At that time I was 5'4" and 128 lbs. Apparently 120 lbs is perfect for my height. Lol.. If I could maintain 145/150 I'd be happy. Aging and weight gain seem to be a thing for hypothyroid, menopausal women in their 50s. Truthfully, if I could have 1 full day without gas, bloating and constipation, I'd be thrilled. Hasn't happened since my youth. For real.

So.. that's that. Gonna look into colonics again, maybe a liquid, all fruit diet for awhile and limited solid food, until this passes. Thank you again for your kind words. Much appreciated!

And I appreciate everyone's input!!
So did you ever do antifungals?

If you have hyphae Candida ruining the integrity of your gut lining you’re going to be bloated no matter what you eat.

Peatful

P

Peatness

Does everyone with gut issues know what their vitamin D levels are? I'm reading that "Anti-inflammatory functions of Vit D include regulation of gut microbiome and maintaining microbial diversity. It promotes growth of gut-friendly commensal strains of Bifida and Fermicutus species."
Good point - DrGormaz has published on this - see the vitamin D thread for her videos

Mauritio

It also increases natural endotoxin-antagonists and anti-biotics.
I have chronic gut problems and my last 2 vitamin D levels were 31 (in the summer) and 29 (in the winter) . I have increased supplementation to 5000 IU daily and will retest soon.

Mauritio

I have been struggling for almost four years with really horrifically bad digestion. Long story short, my symptoms have been:

belching, perma-bloating, constipation, slow motility, loss of appetite (fatigue, dizziness, hair loss)

These symptoms came on suddenly after a year of intermittent fasting and never went away. It was determined early on that I was negative for both parasites and H Pylori.

I tried heroic doses of antimicrobials as well as pharma antibiotics. Garlic, allicin, oregano, berberine, cat's claw, ginger, mint, lactoferrin, pau darco, carrot salad (oh my god so much carrot salad), iodine, high dose thiamine, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12 in every possible permutation, elemental diet, monolaurin, caprylic acid, activated charcoal, high dose sodium, potassium, magnesium, taurine, thyroid, aspirin, digestive enzymes, Betaine HCL, inosinee, low fodmap, low carb, low fat, low protein. These things worked, kind of sort of? But only for a few days at a time before I was miserable again. And I was giving myself orthorexia and probably many other mental health problems taking 40 pills a day. I couldn't lick the back of a spoon to taste something I was cooking without taking 5 stomach acid pills and 2 digestive enzymes. I worried that heating the coconut oil for my carrot salad would cook the carrots and make them feed bacteria. I was popping ginger pills like candy.

I never had a "calm" settled feeling in the gut. It was more like "wow I took 4 grams of thiamine today and managed to fart twice - success!!" I'd have to take absolute boatloads of everything just to feel some semblance of normal. The only antibiotic that worked was Xifaxan, and only for 1 time. Subsequent times it never worked. I refused to take Neomycin or Cipro. Since I wasn't eating much I wasn't sh***ing much, so it was a vicious cycle where I couldn't eat enough to run my digestion, then my digestion would back up, and I would become bloated and full, so I wouldn't eat much. Take magnesium until I ***t water, then repeat.

The feeling of never hungry and never empty is terrifying.

I refused to take a SIBO breath test because I was convinced the lactulose would make me more bloated. The way I saw things, I was bloated from just water, bloated from plain chicken. What would lactulose do to me? I just assumed I had it. Problem was I had already tried everything they recommend for SIBO. Most people on forums don't have stellar results with antibiotics.

This December 2021, I was at my lowest point. couldn't eat anything on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Horrific hopelessness. Just feeling very very very bleak. So I started researching the candida angle more. And started trying other things. Found some writing on an old patent medicine called Wondro that had a cult following for gut problems and other ailments. Made that. Tried it. Got a massive headache. I've had headaches before in conjunction with other antimicrobials. Thought, hmmm maybe I have candida issues instead of SIBO. Took for a few days and felt a little better, but it is ******* heated flax oil and grosses me out to think about ingesting that long term.

So I started taking SF 722. Took that Jan 1-14. Felt alot better. Less bloated no belching. But still not very hungry and stools not great.

Started taking Vitamin D consistently and sitting under a sun lamp. Took cod liver oil for the retinol.

Got a stool test back. Turns out I have leaky gut. Zonulin is 10x what it should be. What could cause leaky gut? I dunno. Bacterial overgrowth, candida, Vitamin A deficiency? I dunno.

So I make a powder with slippery elm as a base. To coat the intestinal lining. Slippery elm isn't supposed to be "Peaty" but I was desperate. I add high dose MSM to it, because I read it can be antifungal in high doses. I added glutamine because I heard that is helpful for leaky gut. Took that a few days. Got a killer headache and was very thirsty. I consistently took it and started to feel better. Passing loads of gas. But it's passing. Yay! Hunger is returning.

Started taking PHGG, because I read it can increase transmit time. There are some studies saying it helps with bloating. Stools eventually become normal. Not "sh***ing water because I took magnesium." Just normal! I take it with homemade yogurt. Bloating went away. I take this alongside a homemade yogurt.

I had 1 or 2 bad days this month. That's it! My stomach is so flat it's crazy. I know that it's too soon to say I'm cured, and no one wants to say cured anyway. Especially in SIBO world. You're coached to expect relapses for the rest of your life until you figure out the "root cause."

Now I feel very normal, energetic, happy, light. I just don't think about my stomach much. My diet is still limited mainly due to my extremely significant food fears/PTSD, but is expanding slowly. I eat garlic and onion now. Green beans, pineapple, eggs, yogurt, OJ. Can hardly believe it.

TL; DR

Struggled for for years. All anti-microbial approaches failed. Now I've been mostly better for a month.

Now taking the following and feel much better:

-high dose msm, in a slippery elm gel
-1 scoop PHGG (Perfect Pass)
-2 cups homemade yogurt (Custom Probiotics D Lactate Free)
So you're using MSM as your only antifungal ? Didn't you talk about other supplements in the wondro thread?

Do you think commercial yogurt works as well ?

What a about l glutamine , you didn't mention it in your TLDR . Did it help significantly?

What single ingredient helped the most ?

OP
D

dogtrainer

It also increases natural endotoxin-antagonists and anti-biotics.
I have chronic gut problems and my last 2 vitamin D levels were 31 (in the summer) and 29 (in the winter) . I have increased supplementation to 5000 IU daily and will retest soon.
Mine were 18 in Nov ?

I haven’t had time to really figure out why D is supposed to be terrible for you (or not). Some people are really really against oral supplementation

InChristAlone

Yeah Dr. Stasha Gominak found vitamin D is necessary for a healthy microbiome, but sometimes you need a b50 complex for a few months to get the biome to get back to operating order. That's where b vitamins were originally found, our gut bacteria produce and use them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals