If Intermittent fasting is giving me amazing results, is there any reason not to do it?

DonLore

So I have had gut and autoimmune symptoms for a long time now. I always remember how I liked to Intermittent fast when younger, and felt better doing that. Now after starting the IF again, I feel million times better. So while ray peat and haidut and this forum hates fasting, then why the **** should I try to force food when not hungry. When fasting, I actually have no cortisol/adrenaline symptoms at all, but feel much calmer and energetic and warm. When eating, I often get brain fog, and many other symptoms. So what is the risk of doing intermittent fasting if it works for me and feels good?

rr1

just go to haiduts blog and search intermittent fasting. it may feel good now, but you will regret it after a while. everyone does

I think it's too much to do daily. I do it once a week (24 hr fast). Hard to say if there are any benefits since studies are limited but it feels like it should. It's a good change from just eating, eating and eating all the time.

-Luke-

OP
D

DonLore

I tried the Peat style 2 years, kinda forcing breakfast etc but then I did the core principle of Ray Peat; perceive, think, act.
Why should I forcefeed myself when my body is giving me STRONG signals not to eat?
Why do I suddenly feel like 70% better, much less inflammation, better digestion, less stress after starting IF if its something I shouldnt do right now? Of course I will start eating breakfast again when I actually feel hungry in the morning.

But should I really be that rigid minded that I keep forcing something because Haidut thinks fasting is dangerous? I agree that starvation is dangerous. Not skipping breakfast or sometimes being 30hours in a fast..

redsun

Everyone does fasting when they're sleeping
Barely a fast if you eat a meal before bed. Very short "fasts" between meals is normal but they are not actual fasts since you are fed. You are awake for 16 hours in a day with a meal every 5 hours or so to eat 3 meals.

I tried the Peat style 2 years, kinda forcing breakfast etc but then I did the core principle of Ray Peat; perceive, think, act.
Why should I forcefeed myself when my body is giving me STRONG signals not to eat?
Why do I suddenly feel like 70% better, much less inflammation, better digestion, less stress after starting IF if its something I shouldnt do right now? Of course I will start eating breakfast again when I actually feel hungry in the morning.

But should I really be that rigid minded that I keep forcing something because Haidut thinks fasting is dangerous? I agree that starvation is dangerous. Not skipping breakfast or sometimes being 30hours in a fast..
If you are eating Peaty then it wouldnt be shocking to see why you get issues with eating because a lot of people don't do well with a lot of typical "Peat" staples. But the problem is not eating, it is what you are eating that your body does not like. When you eat, you are suppose to feel revitalized and ready to go on with your day. It is best to optimize sex steroid hormones, T3 levels to eat regularly and avoid fasts.

So I suggest you figure what is going on with the foods you eat. I guarantee you the problem is your food choices not that you actually eat.

OP
D

DonLore

Barely a fast if you eat a meal before bed. Very short "fasts" between meals is normal but they are not actual fasts since you are fed. You are awake for 16 hours in a day with a meal every 5 hours or so to eat 3 meals.

If you are eating Peaty then it wouldnt be shocking to see why you get issues with eating because a lot of people don't do well with a lot of typical "Peat" staples. But the problem is not eating, it is what you are eating that your body does not like. When you eat, you are suppose to feel revitalized and ready to go on with your day. It is best to optimize sex steroid hormones, T3 levels to eat regularly and avoid fasts.

So I suggest you figure what is going on with the foods you eat. I guarantee you the problem is your food choices not that you actually eat.
And I promise that after 2 years, when my autoimmune issues started, I have tried every peaty food and in every variety, and there is absolutely no logic as to how I will react. Hell, a few times even water made me bloated and have liver pain. There is/was simply something so wrong with my gut, that ANYTHING causes a reaction. I think my gut just needed a break. I have tried rice, potatoes, milk in just about every way, 40-60 kinds of cheeses, fruits, juices, coke, minced meat, cream, butter, coconut oil, carrot salads, liver, raw liver, testicles, kidney, chicken, seafoods, mushrooms etc etc etc.
And the best results came immediately after just skipping food until I become hungry, whether its 2pm or 7pm.

People need to realize that sometimes there can be an honest autoimmune/endotoxin problem and eating just keeps inflammatory response on. Dropping all supplements and only eating when hungry, has made me make more progress than anything else before. I eat super low pufa, only real foods. Carrot salad is the closest thing so far that has helped even some. (And of course the overall peaty diet, but I just feel better when fasting + peating)

OP
D

DonLore

And I promise that after 2 years, when my autoimmune issues started, I have tried every peaty food and in every variety, and there is absolutely no logic as to how I will react. Hell, a few times even water made me bloated and have liver pain. There is/was simply something so wrong with my gut, that ANYTHING causes a reaction. I think my gut just needed a break. I have tried rice, potatoes, milk in just about every way, 40-60 kinds of cheeses, fruits, juices, coke, minced meat, cream, butter, coconut oil, carrot salads, liver, raw liver, testicles, kidney, chicken, seafoods, mushrooms etc etc etc.
And the best results came immediately after just skipping food until I become hungry, whether its 2pm or 7pm.

People need to realize that sometimes there can be an honest autoimmune/endotoxin problem and eating just keeps inflammatory response on. Dropping all supplements and only eating when hungry, has made me make more progress than anything else before. I eat super low pufa, only real foods. Carrot salad is the closest thing so far that has helped even some. (And of course the overall peaty diet, but I just feel better when fasting + peating)
Oh and also tried no starch, low fat, high fat, everything

LadyRae

Oh and also tried no starch, low fat, high fat, everything
Taking a syringe of Ivermectin paste split over 9 days helped my finicky digestion immensely. (One whole syringe is meant to dose a 1250lb horse). Bloating and gas disappeared, sleep improved with no wake-ups, flat and quiet tummy-hooray!

redsun

Did you try the GAPS diet?

-Luke-

A compromise could be to drink only some juice in the morning. Have you ever tried that? This could still give you the advantages (less endotoxin,...) while somewhat counteracting potential issues like a stress reaction.

OP
D

DonLore

A compromise could be to drink only some juice in the morning. Have you ever tried that? This could still give you the advantages (less endotoxin,...) while somewhat counteracting potential issues like a stress reaction.
I have tried fresh OJ and pomegranate juice, but these too often cause bloating and brain fog. And then sometimes not. Overall it seems that I dont have enough stomach acid, so too much liquids make the problem worse.
And I dont get stress reaction from IF. I got stress reactions from eating in the morning sometimes, probably from the endotoxin and bad digestion. Anyway, it seems that its best to just follow the appetite and instincts. If there is 0 appetite, then your body must be telling you something with that

conrad0602

O
Bcaa might be helpful during
I have tried fresh OJ and pomegranate juice, but these too often cause bloating and brain fog. And then sometimes not. Overall it seems that I dont have enough stomach acid, so too much liquids make the problem worse.
And I dont get stress reaction from IF. I got stress reactions from eating in the morning sometimes, probably from the endotoxin and bad digestion. Anyway, it seems that its best to just follow the appetite and instincts. If there is 0 appetite, then your body must be telling you something with that
I'm inclined to agree with you. Listen to your body. I'd try and stick to a scheduled IF like 16/8 to help mitigate the potential negatives effects. Bcaa during the fast might be helpful and shouldn't be problematic for your gut. SBO probiotics might help to get your gut to a better place. Great you're finding some relief ?

Bogdar

I've done it for almost an entire year straight, because exactly like you. Felt better, became better, then felt like I did not need it anymore and I was hungry again on mornings, so I stopped IF and I was still good.
Never regretted it

-Luke-

Then I don't see anything wrong with your approach.

ironfist

Why is it harmful over time? I hear this about carnivore diet, too (cortisol/adrenaline feels good but eventually is bad).

LadyRae

Well it's going to be different for everyone but too much fasting raises stress hormones that have a detrimental hormonal cascade. This is nothing new on the forum!

Fasting can very often lead to patterns of binge and restrict and really screw up people's relationship with food

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals