If somebody completely lost the ability to sweat (me) what kind of health issues could that cause over time ?

pubh12

Forum Supporter
I lost the ability to sweat when I got dysautonomia a few years ago and I just keep getting sicker. I’m decided to stop ignoring it and try and figure out how to sweat again and stop pretending it’s out of my control.

So what health issues could arise if you aren’t able to sweat? How bad can it get ?

Jonk

This is interesting, I've had this issue for most of my life. I don't completely lack the ability to sweat but I'm very bad at regulating my temperature in hot weather for example. I think Ray Peat said it was a common thing with hypothyroidism, and I personally think it might also more down stream from hypothyroidism have to do with intestinal permeability and hydration. Keeping the intestinal wall healthy by means of energizing it and keeping a healthy gut motility works for me against stress induced overheating (easier said than done to achieve). I've also noticed that I'm very rarely thirsty, which might be a way that my body wants to preserve electrolytes. But if I drink a teaspoon of salt in some water, and stimulating thirst, and then having a big glass of water, also seem to be a good way of hydration. Maybe also a positive cal/phos ratio seem to help which I'm right now trialing with supplementing bone meal powder since it's one of the very few calcium supplements that I don't have any digestive issues with.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
This is interesting, I've had this issue for most of my life. I don't completely lack the ability to sweat but I'm very bad at regulating my temperature in hot weather for example. I think Ray Peat said it was a common thing with hypothyroidism, and I personally think it might also more down stream from hypothyroidism have to do with intestinal permeability and hydration. Keeping the intestinal wall healthy by means of energizing it and keeping a healthy gut motility works for me against stress induced overheating (easier said than done to achieve). I've also noticed that I'm very rarely thirsty, which might be a way that my body wants to preserve electrolytes. But if I drink a teaspoon of salt in some water, and stimulating thirst, and then having a big glass of water, also seem to be a good way of hydration. Maybe also a positive cal/phos ratio seem to help which I'm right now trialing with supplementing bone meal powder since it's one of the very few calcium supplements that I don't have any digestive issues with.
I never feel thirst since this happened either. I could easily go days without drinking and feel like death and not equate it dehydration only because I don’t feel thirsty

Jonk

I never feel thirst since this happened either. I could easily go days without drinking and feel like death and not equate it dehydration only because I don’t feel thirsty
Do you have salt cravings? I could eat an unlimited amount of salted chips and popcorn haha. Salt is obviously a great way to increase thirst

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Do you have salt cravings? I could eat an unlimited amount of salted chips and popcorn haha. Salt is obviously a great way to increase thirst
I do Have salt cravings. All the time. Doesn’t really make more thirsty consuming salt though

Jonk

I do Have salt cravings. All the time. Doesn’t really make more thirsty consuming salt though
I see. I read someone on the forum taking a glass of water and putting it to her lips and very slowly drinking some, as a means to see if they were thirsty or not. If she naturally found it pleasant to continue drinking, she did, and if it felt off putting she simply stopped. I think when we're really dysfunctional even our natural cravings might need a little help on the way. Same thing with food for me, I used to not have an appetite at all but starting eating small delicious meals could sort of kick start the appetite for more.

webbt

For nearly all my life I've had this problem. There have been a few times it was corrected. Once was from high dose niacin. It completed resolved 99% of my health problems (gave me abundant energy, fixed my gut and insomnia). It also made me sweat a normal amount. This only lasted two days.

Another time I can remember is after taking about 15 to 20 grams of creatine and the same day getting into the sauna. I sweat enough to soak my clothes, which is so unusual for me.

Creatine synthesis in the body uses up a large amount of methyl groups. So it has an effect of sparing choline and betaine etc. My theory is it temporarily increased methyl groups or just choline. And somehow this had an effect on my sweat glands or nerves.

With continued use my body acclimated and stopped sweating again.

I found a study where Parkinson's patients were given choline and it activated their sweat glands or nerves or something. Fixing their lack of sweat that is apparently a feature of the disease.

You mention not having a sense of thirst. Same here. It feels almost as if some nerve in my body has been severed. Disconnected from a sense of thirst, appetite, sleepiness, even the sense of gravity and physical presence in my body. (general disconnection).

As for health problems related to not sweating and general lack of vitality, maybe do a liver ultrasound to check liver health. I'm young and have normal weight but CT scan found moderately fatty liver. This is something you could work on if you find out you have it.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
For nearly all my life I've had this problem. There have been a few times it was corrected. Once was from high dose niacin. It completed resolved 99% of my health problems (gave me abundant energy, fixed my gut and insomnia). It also made me sweat a normal amount. This only lasted two days.

Another time I can remember is after taking about 15 to 20 grams of creatine and the same day getting into the sauna. I sweat enough to soak my clothes, which is so unusual for me.

Creatine synthesis in the body uses up a large amount of methyl groups. So it has an effect of sparing choline and betaine etc. My theory is it temporarily increased methyl groups or just choline. And somehow this had an effect on my sweat glands or nerves.

With continued use my body acclimated and stopped sweating again.

I found a study where Parkinson's patients were given choline and it activated their sweat glands or nerves or something. Fixing their lack of sweat that is apparently a feature of the disease.

You mention not having a sense of thirst. Same here. It feels almost as if some nerve in my body has been severed. Disconnected from a sense of thirst, appetite, sleepiness, even the sense of gravity and physical presence in my body. (general disconnection).

As for health problems related to not sweating and general lack of vitality, maybe do a liver ultrasound to check liver health. I'm young and have normal weight but CT scan found moderately fatty liver. This is something you could work on if you find out you have it.
I do Have a fatty liver. That can affect your ability to sweat. I actually find my body kind of wants to sweat when I take niacin too. But haven’t gotten there yet.

mattmm24

I lost the ability to sweat when I got dysautonomia a few years ago and I just keep getting sicker. I’m decided to stop ignoring it and try and figure out how to sweat again and stop pretending it’s out of my control.

So what health issues could arise if you aren’t able to sweat? How bad can it get ?
Potassium deficiency is what I found is the reason for this. I know this because when I try to hit 4-5000 mg a day I sweat. I took calcium supplements for a period of time and I couldn't sweat.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Potassium deficiency is what I found is the reason for this. I know this because when I try to hit 4-5000 mg a day I sweat. I took calcium supplements for a period of time and I couldn't sweat.
I’ve tried this. When I start getting around 3000 my bp drops and I feel awful. Didn’t recall it helped sweating.

mattmm24

I’ve tried this. When I start getting around 3000 my bp drops and I feel awful. Didn’t recall it helped sweating.
Huh? So you’re telling me you don’t normally get atleast 3000 mg a day? Im not talking about supplements if that’s what you mean. I meant real wholesome food.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Huh? So you’re telling me you don’t normally get atleast 3000 mg a day? Im not talking about supplements if that’s what you mean. I meant real wholesome food.
Nope , I used to drink almost only water so I wouldn’t come close

Abundant Life

There are instances where I sweat normally and other instances where I am not sweating as much as I should. I believe it is hydration related. It is supposed to be simple but getting it right has been a challenge. I have made attempts to drink the recommended amount of water. But when I do I am constantly going to the bathroom and it gets annoying, especially at work. So I give the practice up.

More recently I have learned that frequent urination occurs when the glucose in the blood is high. It is a mechanism the body uses to dump excess in the urine. If not enough water is drank then the glucose levels will continue to climb. But if water is drank when glucose is high, then there will be alot of peeing and it will discourage drinking water, making a bad situation worst. Now knowing this, it is a good idea to drink plenty of water despite the frequent urination until the glucose drops to a suitable level and so will the pee frequency.

I am going to try drinking more water each day to see if the frequent urination slows down. Maybe after the frequent urination part I will see improvement with other symptoms I have been battling, dry eyes upon waking in the morning and a strubbon, bloated stomach. The dry eyes in the morning must be due to a long period of taking in no fluids. The bloated stomach must be due to the body believing water is really scarce so it holds on much more. Finally, maybe I will sweat normally all the time.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Potassium deficiency and a compromised liver is like the root of this. Fix the liver with a low toxin and low "vitamin A" diet and fix it all.

Are you talking about working outdoors in the sunshine and not sweating, or on a treadmill?

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Are you talking about working outdoors in the sunshine and not sweating, or on a treadmill?
I Cant exercise. Instead of sweating I get itchy and tingly everywhere. And red splotches all over my body. Been this way five or six years now. I just cannot sweat. Heat causes the same issue

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Potassium deficiency and a compromised liver is like the root of this. Fix the liver with a low toxin and low "vitamin A" diet and fix it all.
Im already eating a pretty low vitamin a diet. Muscle meat makes up the most of my diet. Not big on dairy or liver or fruit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals