If tomatoes are bad, why are they so good?

How can tomatoes be bad, when they taste so good and I crave them sometimes. Many foods become delicious when adding tomato to it.
- Pizza
- Pasta
- Gnocchi
- Sliced tomatoes + mozzarella cheese + basil leaf + olive oil stacked on top + salt or feta cheese= wow
- Meat
- Plain tomato juice with added salt
- Toast or other roasted bread things
- Salads

The list goes on.

OP
TruffleGnocchi
I guess a similar question or better question: What makes adding tomato so good? What about tomato makes it good, and what can we learn from it?

Some fruits, including bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce physiological effects in susceptible people.
-Ray Peat

Personally I love ‘nanas and pineapples, and I like tomatoes. Even if they have serotonin I will keep eating them because they are delicious and make me happy.

I can’t remember the exact quote, but Ray said in passing that aside from the serotonin content, tomatoes were a good and nutritious food.

Xin

Remove the seeds, remove the skin and pressure cook them to make your tomato sauce then see how your body feels. I have IBD and I do just fine with the above steps.

GreekDemiGod

Supermarket tomatoes are bland and without taste, but organic raised, are very tasty. Goes really well with cheese.

Some fruits, including bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce physiological effects in susceptible people.
-Ray Peat

Personally I love ‘nanas and pineapples, and I like tomatoes. Even if they have serotonin I will keep eating them because they are delicious and make me happy.

I can’t remember the exact quote, but Ray said in passing that aside from the serotonin content, tomatoes were a good and nutritious food.
I am going to eat them too!

liam183

-Ray Peat

I really don't think that the serotonin content in food will play a part in your body's levels. No way it has any bioavailability in the digestive tract, especially after cooking

OP
TruffleGnocchi
I thought the view was way worse then. I should try eating tomatoes again, seedless and skinless :grin🍅🥄
I think I will try the premade sauce first, I know some brands remove the skin at least

Caprese is delicious. Organic heirloom tomatoes make me feel great.
It sure is! I make mine with a homemade macadamia nut pesto. I even made my own grass fed mozzarella for it, which was fun to make. Sometimes I make my pesto with basil, sometimes with carrot tops or parsley. Home grown tomatoes are a must though, because store bought tomatoes are horrible.

Attachments

• CF221450-2D0E-497A-966C-143C48F3B92F.jpeg
    CF221450-2D0E-497A-966C-143C48F3B92F.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DAFFEC5E-2852-44A2-B3DA-244A3B05E34B.jpeg
    DAFFEC5E-2852-44A2-B3DA-244A3B05E34B.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 26

burtlancast

They taste great because they're naturally high in glutamate.

Beatrix_

There are two forms of glutamate. Glutamate can be “free”, not bound to proteins, or bound to other amino acids as part of proteins. The free glutamate is the one that tastes umami and plays a role in the palatability of foods. Foods with high levels of free glutamate, such as cheese and ripe tomatoes, are often used in the kitchen for their distinctive and enjoyable flavors.

Apple

How can tomatoes be bad, when they taste so good and I crave them sometimes. Many foods become delicious when adding tomato to it.
all nightshades are poisonous . Garrett Smith wrote an excellent article on this topic so you won't want to touch them anymore.
And if you still have doubts , check out Childers diet.

Beatrix_

all nightshades are poisonous . Garrett Smith wrote an excellent article on this topic so you won't want to touch them anymore.
And if you still have doubts , check out Childers diet.
I spent two years of my live completely nightshade-free -- to my regret. I get no issues from tomatoes or bell peppers (except for green ones ugh), but eggplants might cause me some joint pain. Potatoes require attention as well, but the amount I can eat is far larger than eggplants.

Apple

I spent two years of my live completely nightshade-free -- to my regret. I get no issues from tomatoes or bell peppers (except for green ones ugh), but eggplants might cause me some joint pain. Potatoes require attention as well, but the amount I can eat is far larger than eggplants.
Occasional cheat days are probably ok... There is nothing wrong with "my life completely nightshade-free". Ray Peat basically lived half of his life just on milk and orange juice and was happy :)
Nightshades are worse than PUFA or gluten

Beatrix_

Occasional cheat days are probably ok... There is nothing wrong with "my life completely nightshade-free". Ray Peat lived basically half of his life just on milk and orange juice and was happy :)
I missed tomatoes, and feel great on them 🍅❤️🍅❤️🍅❤️🍅😋

Occasional cheat days are probably ok... There is nothing wrong with "my life completely nightshade-free". Ray Peat basically lived half of his life just on milk and orange juice and was happy :)
Nightshades are worse than PUFA or gluten
I never have any problems with any of the nightshades, so it depends on a persons sensitivities. I think gluten and PUFA’s are far worse, and are not worth eating, like home grown tomatoes and vitamin packed potatoes are.

Apple

I never have any problems with any of the nightshades, so it depends on a persons sensitivities. I think gluten and PUFA’s are far worse, and are not worth eating, like home grown tomatoes and vitamin packed potatoes are.
You should check Childers' diet. Dr Norman Childers made it to 100 yo just being on nightshade-free diet. He died (in 2013) from some infection, not from degenerative disease.
PUFA , gluten, vA danger is over exagerated...

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals