Lack of Independent thought as a result of metabolic derangement?

Sapien

I was listening to a podcast (on weightlifting of all topics) and heard something very wise:

Interviewer "I went and listened to the interview you did with high intensity nation and you said something at the end I thought was quote worthy, and it leaks into what you're saying 'There is a danger inherent in standing too close to the river of another mans thoughts, because its very easy to get swept off the bank and carried away from yourself. Don't take off faith anything anyone else says, but discover for yourself the reasons that it is true, then you'll develop as an individual, don't parrot someone else, don't rob yourself of the opportunity to actually learn something and to figure something out, because the rewards of that are phenomenal and will spill over into all other aspects of your life'...

John Little (coauthor of body by science, etc) "Its true, and I noticed it with myself in the Bruce Lee world and even with Mike Mentzer, that some personalities are so large, that its so easy to get swept off in the current of their thought, and you leave yourself and become hollow in a way, um and all you can do is parrot what other people say, and you become an incomplete person... it's important to find out what you think and what are your criteria for coming to conclusions, and its something thats sadly missing in most areas of human endeavor. We're always looking for people to follow, you know, we're much more comfortable with... well as Bruce Lee said ' we're more comfortable with what we imitate than what we originate' . Because other people, surely they have to be right, they must be smarter than us, they must have access to knowledge that we don't, but I think it also harkens back again to the conservation of energy, which is to say, if I don't have to put that mental energy, don't. I'll let you do it. You put that energy and you tell me what to think, you know, and i'll accept that. It's not that we're lazy, it's a survival mechanism.

His quote is in the same vain of thought as "Perceive Think Act", which is why we all appreciate peat so much, instead of following protocols one should make their own decisions based off of logical conclusions.

As far as his specific quote on the conservation of energy, this really stuck out to me. In a low metabolic state, one probably does not have the mental energy to think for themself. I'm sure Peat/Danny/@haidut has said something along these lines but i can't quite put my finger on it. Anyone know a good thread/podcast/peat article on this topic?

mostlylurking

As far as his specific quote on the conservation of energy, this really stuck out to me. In a low metabolic state, one probably does not have the mental energy to think for themself. I'm sure Peat/Danny/@haidut has said something along these lines but i can't quite put my finger on it. Anyone know a good thread/podcast/peat article on this topic?
I believe it's tied in with Learned Helplessness. High serotonin + stress is key. Think poor diet + big city living.

The dark side of stress (learned helplessness)

"In vivo serotonin release and learned helplessness. Petty F, Kramer G, Wilson L, Jordan S Mental Health Clinic, Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center, TX. Learned helplessness, a behavioral depression caused by exposure to inescapable stress, is considered to be an animal model of human depressive disorder. Like human depression, learned helplessness has been associated with a defect in serotonergic function, but the nature of this relationship is not entirely clear. We have used in vivo microdialysis brain perfusion to measure serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5HT) in extracellular space of medial frontal cortex in conscious, freely moving rats. Basal 5HT levels in rats perfused before exposure to tail-shock stress did not themselves correlate with subsequent learned helplessness behavior. However, 5HT release after stress showed a significant increase with helpless behavior. These data support the hypothesis that a cortical serotonergic excess is causally related to the development of learned helplessness."

High cortical serotonergic excess is associated with thiamine deficiency. High sugar intake (poor diet) will put a drain on thiamine supplies in the body.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals