Low-Fat Diet, Hypocaloric Diet, Weight Loss, Metabolism

Strongbad

Since I've been taking l-carnitine to help boost my heart detoxifying and removing candida, I noticed I'm getting leaner so much faster. Apparently l-carnitine helps heart burns PUFA into energy. I do not know if this approach if Peat-approved, though...

max219

Very nice findings, have those 710 g carbs been consisting mostly of sucrose from fruits or lactose of milk or did you eat starches, too?
Primarily from dates, ripe bananas, orange juice, and lactose from yogurt and some milk. I also liberally used honey and maple syrup. My starches were usually after heavy workouts, and white bread, white potatoes, or white rice. I averaged 110 grams starch the past year, and 580 grams sugar.

Ulla

My personal experience with consistently eating very low fat for about 6 months (less than 20 grams) allows me to stay the same weight at an average of 4000 calories per day (sometimes m0re).I used to gain body fat on 2500 calories only 3 years ago. I am active however. Also, when I was eating an average of 40-60 grams for a 4-5 months, I only put on a little body fat while still eating an average of 4000 calories. I am going back to very low fat for the next few weeks to lean out.
My last year looks like this based on my daily log - 3900 calories, 35 grams of fat, 3.2 grams pufa, 710 carbs. And my body composition is almost the same. I am an active 5'5, 150 pound male.

What did you eat as a source for proteins?

bobbybobbob

Burn that PUFA up with walking and sub lactate threshold bicycling. Structure your life so you have a walking or bicycle commute, 20 minutes or so each way.

This is so much easier than taking diet to extremes.

superhuman

Burn that PUFA up with walking and sub lactate threshold bicycling. Structure your life so you have a walking or bicycle commute, 20 minutes or so each way.

This is so much easier than taking diet to extremes.

True thats good. I would also add resistance training tho to maintain or even build muscle mass

michael94

Since I've been taking l-carnitine to help boost my heart detoxifying and removing candida, I noticed I'm getting leaner so much faster. Apparently l-carnitine helps heart burns PUFA into energy. I do not know if this approach if Peat-approved, though...

who cares if it works lol

max219

I didn't track my temperature, but eating high calorie seemed to help keep me warmer during the winter.

I eat between 120-160 protein.

forterpride

I meant very low calories when I wrote vlc, sorry for the confusion. I also did not lose fat on a low cal, low carb diet, I actually gained fat to an all time high of 220 while only eating around 1600 cals. So no, calories are defensively not just calories.

No I did not track calories except to make sure I was eating enough and getting enough protein. My diet was extremely high carb, usually 500-1000g a day, low to moderate protein at 60-150 a day and almost zero fay for quite awhile. Carbs are protein sparing so you certainly don't need a ton while eating so many carbs. Btw, you use fat differently to lose it via this way vs a low carb Or low calorie way. On the latter two you lose fat because your body is using it for energy, this is inefficient and disastrous to health and metabolism. Eating a very high carb, vlf diet you use you body fat stores in normal processes involving fat, either fueling the body for low intensity exercises, fueling parts of the body that prefer fat, during sleep, etc. So in this way you are not liberating huge amounts of toxic pufa and other toxins into the body but slowly using up your reserves. It's the only safe way to lose bodyfat, imo.

At ate mainly dairy, ff milk, yogart, kefir, lots of fruits and orange juice and other juices, lots of bananas, a good amount t of starches from sweet potatoes, yams, pumpkin, squasha and plantains. I used maple syrup and honey liberally and occasionally had eggs and oysters. no meat was consumed and once in awhile I'd eat rice, wheat and corn foods.

hi zachs. Im currently embarking on an unlimited calorie/carb nofat diet like the one you tried for pufa depletion/fat loss. I was just wondering..did you include the daily raw carrot...i was considering dropping it since ill be consuming no starch..only milk, oj, raw liver and oysters and eggs. thats it. nothing else...i thought maybe i might not need the carrot in the absence of any starches. My total fat will be 13 grams a day from just the egg...the oz of liver..and 3 oz of oysters everyday. Also...Did you supplement with anything else at the time? Thanks man.

tyler

Is blood sugar and insulin a concern during a no/low fat diet?
Without the added fat, I would assume that blood sugar would rise rapidly, stimulating a greater release of insulin rather if you had the same meal with added fat.
Or does the combination of carbohydrate and protein also protect us from that?

PeatThemAll

Without the added fat, I would assume that blood sugar would rise rapidly, stimulating a greater release of insulin rather if you had the same meal with added fat.

What is not often mentioned is that while fat+carbs will result in a lower BG spike, the total number of insulin units your pancreas will have to secrete to cover it (total as in AUC - Area Under the Curve) is definitely higher. So what's less damaging? A higher, shorter spike or an average spike with a more fatigued pancreas?

DaveFoster

When you go below 10% fat, your body optimizes carbohydrate metabolism. Google "fruit and rice diet" for more details.

tyw

When you go below 10% fat, your body optimizes carbohydrate metabolism. Google "fruit and rice diet" for more details.

Hehe, I've actually been doing a mostly rice and fruit juice diet for the last 4 months in an attempt at PUFA depletion ;). I came from a diet with lots of PUFA (especially DHA), but I was decently lean to start with at a bodyweight of around 75kg / 165lbs (DXA scan gave me around 13% body fat).

PUFA depletion was worth a shot, and I ate basically rice and various fruit juices or dried fruit since the beginning of this year. I still ate PUFA in the form of eggs, about 12 eggs a week I'd say, but other than that, no added fat (unless you count the very low fat content in skinless chicken breasts).

Now I'm basically around 70.5kg (155lbs). Metabolism definitely up, seem to be shedding body fat like the mice in the original PUFA depletion experiment .... Most people would say that I'm at an unhealthy level of body fat, but hey, energy levels are better than ever (and more importantly, better than ever despite being in the face of a more stressful job)

Side effects were mostly related to skin -- more acne than usual, though it seems to be much less of a problem in the last few weeks. (At least I know that PUFAs are being mobilised)

Another negative effect I experienced during this period was that the Gut seems to be more sensitive to allergens. eg: Soy sauce would make me bloat badly. I cannot directly attribute this to the PUFA depletion experiment, because the overriding stress is definitely by current job, and also because my historic Achilles Heel has been gut dysfunction. That said, having more free-floating PUFAs can't help either.

In any case, almost-no-fat experiment is going well :). Probably will run it for another 1-2 months and see where I'm at.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals