Making excuses for why it's hard to remember someone's name is childish behavior...

Making excuses for why it's hard to remember someone's name is childish behavior.

Think MORE about WHO you're talking to instead of yourself.

Occasionally imagine their face in your mind and verbalize their name for memory sake as you're walking around. Then when you interface with them, call them by their name when you want their attention or to emphasize a point.

It's a form of respect and using someone's name is a way of making them feel valued & tangible; real.

Too often people are enabled to get lost in their own sauce because 99% of their local society would rather keep as much space as possible in their own mind so that they can think about themselves on repeat. (How boring, really.)

It seems to me that neighbors who aren't checked on or requested for any capacity (even the smallest question of "[Name] what do you think about ____?") are the real victims of society.

Your name will always be less interesting to other people than you think it is.

Fight the ego. Make a point to learn & speak other people's names and watch what happens in your life.

Mark 12:29-34
[29] And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
[30] And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
[31] And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
[32] And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:
[33] And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.
[34] And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.

Peatful

Our names are earthly. Not eternal. Correct?

In Isaiah Chapters 56, 62 and 65
In Revelation Chapters 2 and 3

How about expecting someone to remember your name is ego driven?

OP
Twohandsondeck
How about expecting someone to remember your name is ego driven?
Show me where expectation is printed and I'll show you a suggestion.

Do you suppose we should intend to forget people's names then? The notion can only go in one direction or the other. You either care about your fellow man or you care about yourself.

1 Corinthians 9:22-23
[22] To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
[23] And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

Peatful

Show me where expectation is printed and I'll show you a suggestion.

Do you suppose we should intend to forget people's names then? The notion can only go in one direction or the other. You either care about your fellow man or you care about yourself.

1 Corinthians 9:22-23
[22] To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
[23] And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
I understand your point I believe

For me personally
I can love and care and serve someone whose name I don’t even know!

I immediately thought of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well.
He knows all about her
He loves her
But he doesn’t use her name

OP
Twohandsondeck
For me personally
I can love and care and serve someone whose name I don’t even know!

I immediately thought of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well.
He knows all about her
He loves her
But he doesn’t use her name
Certainly.

And yes, not all saved persons in the Book have their names printed. I would never make the point that an earthly name is attached to eternal salvation. The philippian jailer and the thief on the cross also come to mind.

Have you got onto the various dementia/stroke organisations re: this important development?
Regardless of physical deficiency, the only point I'd maintain is the intention of the person.

Example: Person A could say, "I have stage 1 Alzheimer's, therefore I'm not going to try to remember you or your name because I'm only 30% as capable as the next person..."

While person B might say, "I have stage 1 Alzheimer's, but I will still try to remember you and your name because I care about you."

The root of my original rant is about the intention the person. Are they firstly valuing others or themselves? That's the binary variable and as simple as what I've tried to convey above as a microcosm of a macrocosm.

Peater

Certainly.

And yes, not all saved persons in the Book have their names printed. I would never make the point that an earthly name is attached to eternal salvation. The philippian jailer and the thief on the cross also come to mind.

Regardless of physical deficiency, the only point I'd maintain is the intention of the person.

Example: Person A could say, "I have stage 1 Alzheimer's, therefore I'm not going to try to remember you or your name because I'm only 30% as capable as the next person..."

While person B might say, "I have stage 1 Alzheimer's, but I will still try to remember you and your name because I care about you."

The root of my original rant is about the intention the person. Are they firstly valuing others or themselves? That's the binary variable and as simple as what I've tried to convey above as a microcosm of a macrocosm.

Don't tell me, tell those selfish bastards with Alzheimer's! Who do they think they are!

Peatful

Just saw this
Tangential
but I chuckled.

31F9B265-3F23-4EC0-AB0E-B10EA72DC0B0.jpeg

TheCodez

You either care about your fellow man or you care about yourself.
While I appreciate the spirit underpinning the idea behind this post, there are definitely more possibilities than this. I struggle with people's names that I've known and even worked closely with for over a decade, including names that I've called them by hundreds of times.

I've noticed a tendency among intellectually gifted people (including my own children) to occasionally become impatient while failing to understand the plight of those with average or less than average intellectual capacity. It can be easy to think a particular cognitive task that you accomplish with a given level of effort is similarly available to others when that frequently just isn't the case.

I literally walk around the office every day I'm there mentally saying the names of everyone I see to help keep them fresh and to continue to assess my performance in this area. It's not at all unusual for it to take me 3 minutes after seeing a face to come up with a name though.

Runenight201

While I appreciate the spirit underpinning the idea behind this post, there are definitely more possibilities than this. I struggle with people's names that I've known and even worked closely with for over a decade, including names that I've called them by hundreds of times.

I've noticed a tendency among intellectually gifted people (including my own children) to occasionally become impatient while failing to understand the plight of those with average or less than average intellectual capacity. It can be easy to think a particular cognitive task that you accomplish with a given level of effort is similarly available to others when that frequently just isn't the case.

I literally walk around the office every day I'm there mentally saying the names of everyone I see to help keep them fresh and to continue to assess my performance in this area. It's not at all unusual for it to take me 3 minutes after seeing a face to come up with a name though.

So ableistic of OP!

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
Making excuses for why it's hard to remember someone's name is childish behavior.

Think MORE about WHO you're talking to instead of yourself.

Occasionally imagine their face in your mind and verbalize their name for memory sake as you're walking around. Then when you interface with them, call them by their name when you want their attention or to emphasize a point.

It's a form of respect and using someone's name is a way of making them feel valued & tangible; real.

Too often people are enabled to get lost in their own sauce because 99% of their local society would rather keep as much space as possible in their own mind so that they can think about themselves on repeat. (How boring, really.)

It seems to me that neighbors who aren't checked on or requested for any capacity (even the smallest question of "[Name] what do you think about ____?") are the real victims of society.

Your name will always be less interesting to other people than you think it is.

Fight the ego. Make a point to learn & speak other people's names and watch what happens in your life.

Mark 12:29-34
[29] And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
[30] And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
[31] And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
[32] And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:
[33] And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.
[34] And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.
@Twohandsondeck
Its also childish to ask of anybody to remember your name. Nobody owes you anything.

Remembering and forgetting anything is a matter of priorities. If somebody is more important to you, you are going to remember their name more. If less, then less.
You are just exposing your brokenness here. Why are you even talking to people who cant remember your name? You are totally unimportant to them, you get it? Dont talk to them, dont hang out with them. Its a waste of your time.

I totally empathize with you because this problem which you have comes from your parents not putting enough importance on you.
And this is how tyranny and dictatorship are born.
Trying to force people to remember your name...
Nobody owes you anything. Not even your parents.
Should they make you feel important?
Definitely!

OP
Twohandsondeck
How am I illiterate?
The one occurrence of "me" is found in the following sentence:

"It seems to me that neighbors who aren't checked on or requested for any capacity (even the smallest question of "[Name] what do you think about ____?") are the real victims of society."

Words that are not present:
Mine, myself, I

Words that are present:
Someone, you, yourself, your, their, local society, they, themselves, neighbors, other people

Now to recap what you said to me:
Its also childish to ask of anybody to remember your name. Nobody owes you anything.

Trying to force people to remember your name...

🤷‍♂️

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
The one occurrence of "me" is found in the following sentence:

"It seems to me that neighbors who aren't checked on or requested for any capacity (even the smallest question of "[Name] what do you think about ____?") are the real victims of society."

Words that are not present:
Mine, myself, I

Words that are present:
Someone, you, yourself, your, their, local society, they, themselves, neighbors, other people

Now to recap what you said to me:

🤷‍♂️
Hi again.
You completely miss my point.
For you this is an emotional thing and without a context I cannot really judge properly.
Is it a working environment situation, friends and family situation or something else?

However it is nobodies responsibility for making you feel valuable. If somebody is behaving deviant by not using your name and you dont feel respected, responsibility falls on you to assert yourself how you want to be treated.
Any other way creates servile behaviour where you are constantly dependent on others and others constantly need to be spanked for not behaving properly.
You will never be happy that way.

Again, this kind of behaviour, which you are proposing, stems from parent-child relationship

Because, there ARE reasons for not remembering someones name. If you use word excuses instead of reasons then that is emotionally charged and if somebody forgets your name for whatever reason, then they get spanked. Right?

And I think you use Jesus and his work here to hide your true intentions.

Delaney

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals