Progesterone

Kelly

Which doctors prescribe creams of 100 mg? Around here, if MDs are down with natural progesterone, they prescribe 20 mg, or maybe you can get 200 mg of oral prometrium, but most of that gets destroyed by the liver.

Anyway, doesn't Peat say to take 10 mg every 15 minutes until symptoms ease? He can be confusing with some of his recommendations. He says a thin postmenopausal women should be OK with 10 mg a day, so you think a more average size menstruating women would need more to counter the higher estrogen they would have.

Kelly

Another confusing thing is many places say a woman generally produces 20 mg of progesterone per day in the luteal phase. Does she actually produce that much, or are blood levels 20 mg? If the latter than she may be producing a lot more to get her blood level to stay at 20 mg. That would really support Dr. Dalton's methods of dosing very high with progesterone.

nwo2012

gretchen said:
kettlebell said:
Hi Diane,

Progesterone can quickly "Reset" hormones and ramp up your metabolism. It shuts down estrogen receptors permanently in your body and potentially can rapidly normalise your hormones encouraging a faster metabolism which requires fuel and nutrients to be sustained. Ensuring you are getting enough calories from fruit (sugar) and the required nutrients becomes very important.

When I first took pregnenolone I had the same thing - A big dose of sugar and I was right as reign in an hour. My nutrient requirements are still rising rapidly.

Of course I am speculating with the above potential issue but its worth keeping in mind :):

Hope your headaches pass!

KB

I frequently read on meno boards that people gain on progesterone, but it's been the opposite for me. It seems key to why I am not getting bigger especially around the waist.

I wonder if anyone can explain why Peat recommends lower dosages of progesterone while doctors prescribe creams that contain upwards of 100 mg or so. Thanks.

Basically the creams are garbage.

gretchen

Kelly said:
Which doctors prescribe creams of 100 mg? Around here, if MDs are down with natural progesterone, they prescribe 20 mg, or maybe you can get 200 mg of oral prometrium, but most of that gets destroyed by the liver.

Anyway, doesn't Peat say to take 10 mg every 15 minutes until symptoms ease? He can be confusing with some of his recommendations. He says a thin postmenopausal women should be OK with 10 mg a day, so you think a more average size menstruating women would need more to counter the higher estrogen they would have.

I read about high dosages of progesterone all the time on meno boards.

Kelly

gretchen said:
Kelly said:

Being prescribed by doctors? That would surprise me if it wasn't oral. I don't think many doctors prescribe high topical progesterone, but maybe I'm wrong.

gretchen

Kelly said:
gretchen said:
Kelly said:

Being prescribed by doctors? That would surprise me if it wasn't oral. I don't think many doctors prescribe high topical progesterone, but maybe I'm wrong.

I used a prescribed bhrt cream a few years ago that seemed to have a fairly high dose of progesterone, enough to make me feel slightly drugged. It had to have been upwards of 50 mg or more .

I found this on a meno forum:
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showthread.php?t=11949

Amosya

peatarian said:
The bones at the back of my neck rebuilt after years of degeneration after using progest-e for a couple of weeks.

Okay, the rest would be very gender specific but to me progest-e-complex is Asterix' miracle juice and will never again go anywhere without it. I think it could heal a brain injury from car accident just as well as a cut or a stroke. One should have this at home.

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum. Being implementing Ray Peat's diet recommendations more or less, for the last month or so only, still not sure about the foods allowed or not. I'm a female, with skin eczema problems that led me through the dermatologist to take a LOT of flaxseed oil, borage oil, evening primrose oil,... still got my eczema by the way yet thinking I was doing well in "controlling" it this way. I'm 45 y/o now and at 40 had an ovarian cyst which ended in the ovary removal, have been told about four years ago I have premature arthrosis -found out because of neck and lower back ache so got x-rays done of the areas... To cut a long story short I'm in a real mind boggling muddle right now, specially about the oil consumption and all the omega 3, PUFA, and so that I was told was suposed to help with my skin issues and with my bone articulations!!!
So, I'm really impressed by the effects of Progesterone, specialy as mentioned by Peatarian that helped her bones at the back of her neck. I would be thrilled if my constantly sore back neck, also gradually developing into a hunched curve could be reversed!!!
Would you recommend me to try a progesterone cream like the "biovea.com" progesterone cream, with 20 mg. per pump of cream ??? Or would it be better if I try to get the Progest-e?? I live in Spain, so wondering if I may have trouble with customs service.
Also, I would like to thank everyones input in this amazing forum, there is tons of info that I'm still ploding through!!
Sorry for any ortographic/grammatical mistakes, English is not exactly my first language.
TIA.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Amosya, welcome to the forum!

Hopefully some others can chime in with some help.

Kelly

Amosya said:
peatarian said:
The bones at the back of my neck rebuilt after years of degeneration after using progest-e for a couple of weeks.

Okay, the rest would be very gender specific but to me progest-e-complex is Asterix' miracle juice and will never again go anywhere without it. I think it could heal a brain injury from car accident just as well as a cut or a stroke. One should have this at home.

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum. Being implementing Ray Peat's diet recommendations more or less, for the last month or so only, still not sure about the foods allowed or not. I'm a female, with skin eczema problems that led me through the dermatologist to take a LOT of flaxseed oil, borage oil, evening primrose oil,... still got my eczema by the way yet thinking I was doing well in "controlling" it this way. I'm 45 y/o now and at 40 had an ovarian cyst which ended in the ovary removal, have been told about four years ago I have premature arthrosis -found out because of neck and lower back ache so got x-rays done of the areas... To cut a long story short I'm in a real mind boggling muddle right now, specially about the oil consumption and all the omega 3, PUFA, and so that I was told was suposed to help with my skin issues and with my bone articulations!!!
So, I'm really impressed by the effects of Progesterone, specialy as mentioned by Peatarian that helped her bones at the back of her neck. I would be thrilled if my constantly sore back neck, also gradually developing into a hunched curve could be reversed!!!
Would you recommend me to try a progesterone cream like the "biovea.com" progesterone cream, with 20 mg. per pump of cream ??? Or would it be better if I try to get the Progest-e?? I live in Spain, so wondering if I may have trouble with customs service.
Also, I would like to thank everyones input in this amazing forum, there is tons of info that I'm still ploding through!!
Sorry for any ortographic/grammatical mistakes, English is not exactly my first language.
TIA.

Hi Amosya. I bought a 20 mg per 1/4 teaspoon cream (Emerita Progest) and I don't feel any effects from it. I'd really advise the Progest-e if you can get it.

Amosya

Thanks fot the replies!
I just decided today to pop into my local chemist and I've purchased a OTC progesterone based cream that I learnt about through a friend.
It has 1 g. progesterone per 100 g. cream. The rest of the ingredients are carbopol, triethalonamine, ethanol and purified water. It comes with a measuring little spatule for the amount recomended -this cream is recomended for the treatment of fibrocystic breasts. I'd thought that maybe I could enhance it's correct absorption on the back of my neck by mixing a bit with a vit. e oil capsule. Just a do it yourself thinking to get results. Any thoughts?
Anyway, I've decided I'm going to try ordering the Progest-e from web pages recomended here, as I've very often bought creams, cosmetics and other products from USA, and only once had them siting at the customs service and sent back -funnily enough it was a set of CD's that got inspected at the customs service, not even a cream or pill!!

gretchen

^^I can't live without progesterone, but wonder if it works(my breasts are swollen much of the time). The drops are supposed to be better than the creams so hope it works out for you.

Amosya

gretchen said:
^^I can't live without progesterone, but wonder if it works(my breasts are swollen much of the time). The drops are supposed to be better than the creams so hope it works out for you.

Hi Gretchen, do you use drops or cream? I'm not sure by your comment if you mean that we can't live without progesterone, or that you've tried some and can't live without it? In the latter case you find breasts are swollen... but what are the benefits if so?
Thanks.

gretchen

Amosya said:
gretchen said:

Hi Gretchen, do you use drops or cream? I'm not sure by your comment if you mean that we can't live without progesterone, or that you've tried some and can't live without it? In the latter case you find breasts are swollen... but what are the benefits if so?
Thanks.
I've used progesterone cream for several years. I am not sure if it effectively opposes estrogen, but it does have a tranquilizing effect. I've read progesterone can temporarily cause estrogen dominance symptoms( due to "waking up" estrogen receptors)but I've used it so long that I shouldn't have that. Still, I feel better than I would if I didn't take it at all e.g., few nights sweats, pretty good sleep, mood etc. I'm 42 and the symptoms I've read about on meno boards are a lot worse than what I'm experiencing.

Kelly

gretchen, do you mind if I ask how long you've used progest-e? I just started using it 2 months ago and it's helping but I have to use it nearly everyday. I know Ray Peat says you shouldn't need to use it forever if you have a good diet but I can't imagine not using it. I am really bad at handling stress and wonder if temperment plays into it.

Also, how do people dose for stressful times? I have had some depression and anxiety for years now, it got really bad several months ago. I got it under control without using anything to help me. Something very bad happened again a couple days ago and since I could feel the horrible anxiety ramping up again I started doing 3-6 drops every hour or two. It's making a difference, I actually feel almost calm and normal on occasion which never ever happens when I'm stressed. I haven't had any full blown panic attacks yet but am scared of them cropping up again. Should I take many drops at a time right when one starts, is there any danger in taking alot at once instead of 3 drops every 15 minutes? I once took maybe 9 or 10 drops right before bed and my head felt weird and my hands went kind of numb, so I'm a little hesitant to try that again, but it may've been a fluke.

jyb

I'm a male but I'm experimenting with progrest-E in small doses just to experiment. Also, it seem like it's well absorbed on the skin, so useful for bruises just for that reason.

It's interesting how just one small dose on a bruise changed the color from red to pink. The color has remained pink for several days. It's probably a good sign, as RP wrote about pink being better than purple.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Progesterone healed a burn on my finger in an incredibly short amount of time.

jyb

I've had hairs grow at unusual places, where they never grew before on very clear skin areas, like under the forearms (only the other side of the arms was hairy). It's not dense at all (yet), but visible and was quick to grow. Don't know if its supposed to be good or bad, but since I also have a few random hair growing on my scalp (I wasn't losing hair but I have a large forehead) I assume its good. I'm a male so I don't mind hairs...

Can't be sure if due to progesterone but its the only thing I can think of in my latest habit changes. I'm still hypothyroid (97.7-98.0 is a common temp for me).

Spdsk8trgrl

@amosya make sure you eliminate all wheat/gluten from your diet. That was the thing that worked on my daughters eczema. You can visit the wheat belly blog online for details on wheat issues.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Spdsk8trgrl, welcome to the forum. :welcome

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals