Pruritus (itching) And Anxiety

OP
P

Peater

Was this the cause? Did you end up solving the pruritis?
I still don't have a definite answer (Physical/infection/psychosomatic/etc) but it is better than it was when I first posted. It wasn't solely the theanine, but too much doesn't help.

It doesn't seem related to the strong anxiety I mentioned in my first post, as I have since had the itching while feeling OK, apart from being annoyed/concerned about the itching when I want to sleep!

I manage it with cypro.

Kray

I still don't have a definite answer (Physical/infection/psychosomatic/etc) but it is better than it was when I first posted. It wasn't solely the theanine, but too much doesn't help.

It doesn't seem related to the strong anxiety I mentioned in my first post, as I have since had the itching while feeling OK, apart from being annoyed/concerned about the itching when I want to sleep!

I manage it with cypro.
Have you also tried Benadryl for sleep, and if so, can you explain why you prefer cypro? I have been tempted to buy some, but for now all I have is Benadryl. I don't like taking it too frequently because it has a zombie-building effect on me.

OP
P

Peater

Have you also tried Benadryl for sleep, and if so, can you explain why you prefer cypro? I have been tempted to buy some, but for now all I have is Benadryl. I don't like taking it too frequently because it has a zombie-building effect on me.

Force of habit really, and the joint benefit of lowering serotonin. I have also used Sominex (Same active ingredient as Benadryl) and it works too.

Kray

Force of habit really, and the joint benefit of lowering serotonin. I have also used Sominex (Same active ingredient as Benadryl) and it works too.
When you say, 'force of habit', do you mean you take regularly? How often, how much, if you don't mind my asking? Because it seems to have after-effects with me, I'm looking at alternatives for the "itch-anxiety" mode, including low-dose melatonin (300mcg). I know it's not a Peaty thing, but I've also read some good things about it in low(er) doses.

Other things that have helped me sleep during this time (in an effort to avoid using Benadryl nightly) are several homeopathic sleep formulas. I took both last night and was able to sleep through the night. They don't seem to cause next-day grogginess.

To your point about lowering serotonin, I've wondered if it's an ideal thing to lower it if the drug actually causes too much lethargy and sleepiness afterward. It should make you sleep, but you should wake rested and alert, right? Perhaps an individual thing, as some seem to have no problem with this from extended use.

OP
P

Peater

@Kray @ZeroFries

It only took 6 years but here is another piece of the puzzle that fits in with the Peat philosophy. Also how liver function can cause the same thing but due to bile salts not being removed due to the thyroid-liver 'symbiosis'.

From Broda Barnes book.

Attachments

• itch.jpg
    itch.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 34

Kray

@Kray @ZeroFries

It only took 6 years but here is another piece of the puzzle that fits in with the Peat philosophy. Also how liver function can cause the same thing but due to bile salts not being removed due to the thyroid-liver 'symbiosis'.

From Broda Barnes book.
Very interesting. I am aware liver and itchy skin are often related. But the thyroid connection I hadn't heard of. Thanks for sharing that!

OP
P

Peater

Very interesting. I am aware liver and itchy skin are often related. But the thyroid connection I hadn't heard of. Thanks for sharing that!
I am starting to think that in my case it is B6 toxicity. I don't know if it applies to you, but if you have a history with supplements, Red Bull and healthy eating it is worth considering. For me last week it culminated in moving from itching to actual pinpricks and stinging/burning feelings in my hands. Just something for you to consider. In my case hopefully it really is the cause and 8 years of discomfort and worrying about it are over.

In case you want to pursue the liver function route, I have also learned that progesterone can cause cholestasis, and is also a potent vasodilator (Vasodilation is more related to B6 issues)

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals