Random musings: magnesium, supplementing, the Peat way, and maybe more.

Mossy

I'm moving an ongoing conversation from another thread to here:

I'm sensitive too... so much I have stopped pretty much all of them for awhile, other than mag, D-ribose and Chondroitin for my achy old legs... I'm not sure that so many supps are needed, if one eats a decent diet... I am sort of leaning away from the Peat way... I doubt veggies are so bad... lots of meat, dairy and sugar is iffy too. Working out vigorously is a bad thing??? Hmmmmm...
Are our bodies so poorly designed that we need all sorts of supps to survive, let alone thrive? I think portion control is important, keeping the weight down... staying fit...

If you are that sensitive, perhaps it is the non-mag components in your mag supplements? Like glycine, which I don't do well with...?? Lots of Mag Orotate options at Amazon...

Or... have you tried topical Magnesium oil?
@TucsonJJ
Being that we're off of the DHEA centered topic, I'll attempt to address all that you commented on.

I think there is a possibility that the non-mag components are affecting me, like the glycine—for glycine definitely hits me hard. There must be something about orotate that sits well with me, as the Swanson Ultra Magnesium Orotate is probably the greatest success I've ever had with a supplement. I do have the Bulk Supplements brand of magnesium orotate as well, from the search list you've provided. It's been so long since I've tried it, I don't recall why I've stopped talking it. It must not have measured up to the Swanson. I will put that on my list of one to try again.

Like you, because there is hardly a supplement I can take beyond 1-2 times, before experiencing bad effects, I question whether we should be supplementing at all. For now, I think there is validity to it, but that it's just like most of life—very challenging and hard to get it right; and that this is magnified for many that are overly sensitive. I think you may have a point about the amount of supplements that are needed. At least, I think it would make sense to use supplements to get up to par—if par could ever be reached—and then stop. I think the short answer to your question is more "yes" than "no", where you ask if our bodies are so poorly designed that we need all sorts of supplements to survive and thrive. I'm no scientist, but I think it's the law of entropy (if I'm stating and understanding that properly) that basically says all things are losing energy, hence the reason we age. As we've all witnessed, either within ourselves or others, imbalances and health issues come about. Many are hoping supplements, proper diet, exercise, etc. can compensate for those deficiencies and illnesses.

So, D-ribose and Chondroitin works well for your legs? Do you have edema?

As for the Peat way, his way was a sharp and definitive confirmation that what I was doing was wrong and what he said was better than what I was doing. Now, I think any reasonable person would be open to the possibility that there is a way that may be better than Peat's, though I could guess it wouldn't be a clean slate, or a complete wiping away of all things Peat. For me, after many years and diets, the Peat way at least brought me several steps up from where I was.

I do see some value in portion control, but I tend to think the Peatish theory (if I'm assigning that properly) of getting enough calories to the point of satiating the body, even if you err on the side of too many calories, has the greater value; at least for a sub-par, hypothyroid body. I would think the healthier you are, the more you can push and stress yourself. I can't say this with any scientific explanation, other than that is what I've gleaned from my studying and reading on this forum.

As for veggies, I can attest too many raw is murder on my gut. I can take the raw carrot, which can be slightly troubling at times, but I believe that's what it's supposed to do as it pushes things onward. Cooked vegetables I can take better, but the ones that I understand to be high in oxalates, like spinach, don't feel right by themselves—if I add fat they seem to taste and feel better.

I have not experienced anything negative from meat and dairy. If anything, I'm glad I've upped their intake since Peating. Even so, I don't think I eat a lot of meat.

As for sugar, it seems to do for me just what Peat said: gives me needed energy. But, I do think you need to be conscious about keeping it off your teeth. I try to get it from fruit and honey if possible, but due to cost and convenience, a little white sugar, and added sugars in processed foods, I do consume.

As for the vigorous working out, that was another Peatism that hit the nail on the head. When I first got into a hypothyroid state, 13 years ago, I had the "just do it" mentality that so many of us do, and I thought I needed to "no pain, no gain" my way out of my sluggish state. That just made me worse. Same with intermittent fasting. Working out, with fasting, crushed me.

I have tried magnesium oil. I had forgotten about it, but you've just reminded me of it. I may try that again.

Last edited:

TheSir

Are our bodies so poorly designed that we need all sorts of supps to survive, let alone thrive?
Well, no, but our food is. Soil depletion is an ongoing catastrophy. Supps are placeholders at best, but it is a better deal than not taking any.

Well, no, but our food is. Soil depletion is an ongoing catastrophy. Supps are placeholders at best, but it is a better deal than not taking any.
I think this is true, about the soil being depleted. but I don’t take any supplements and I am healthier for it, and I see many people on the forum saying they feel better getting rid of them too. Supplements are at best better for people who don’t take the time to prepare a healthy meal for themselves, but they don’t make healthy people healthier. This is just my rambling musing.

Last edited:
@TucsonJJ said…

“I'm sensitive too... so much I have stopped pretty much all of them for awhile, other than mag, D-ribose and Chondroitin for my achy old legs... I'm not sure that so many supps are needed, if one eats a decent diet... I am sort of leaning away from the Peat way... I doubt veggies are so bad... lots of meat, dairy and sugar is iffy too. Working out vigorously is a bad thing??? Hmmmmm...
Are our bodies so poorly designed that we need all sorts of supps to survive, let alone thrive? I think portion control is important, keeping the weight down... staying fit...”

I agree with you JJ in that lots of anything is not good. People are so worried about getting an abundance of vitamins, when a variety of foods would fill in where needed, rather than popping a lab made pill, supplement. People can off of potatoes alone just fine for quite some time, raw milk is another well rounded food. This is why our bodies store certain vitamins, and why they don’t others, to prepare be prepared to fill in on off days, and not critically needing other vitamins. Freaking out trying to to micromanage the body is creating fear and cortisol. Here we criticize people with eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia and those that are overeating to much, while I think we should have a disorder name for people relying on these array of supplements. RP was not against them, but he also said he rarely recommended them because of the problems they create, and said to use them for a problem and STOP taking them when the problem is resolved. More is not more in the case of supplements. Look even a hot dog has vitamin C, why freak out taking it in a supplement, because there is no fruit?

1706021669036.jpeg

TheSir

I think this is true, about the soil being depleted. but I don’t take any supplements and I am healthier for it, and I see many people on the forum saying they feel better getting rid of them too. Supplements are at best better for people who don’t take the time to prepare a healthy meal for themselves, but they don’t make healthy people healthier. This is just my rambling musing.
Yeah, I probably should have added "...given that one is supplementing scientifically". Taking x because one reads it's healthy or because one might need it can easily turn out to be less preferable than not supplementing at all.

Since supplementation is always somewhat disruptive to the metabolism, in order for the benefits to be greater than the downsides, the approach needs to be based on objective data, and be done as a response to a real biochemical need as well as with the aim of increasing overall balance of the body. Applying these criteria to different people might mean giving someone over 100mg of zinc a day and none to someone else. There is a lot of room for error if it's done blindly.

I'm no scientist, but I think it's the law of entropy (if I'm stating and understanding that properly) that basically says all things are losing energy, hence the reason we age. As we've all witnessed, either within ourselves or others, imbalances and health issues come about. Many are hoping supplements, proper diet, exercise, etc. can compensate for those deficiencies and illnesses.
People in hard times were plowing fields at 70+ years old when supplements didn’t exist, eating just meat, potatoes, dairy and heirloom grains. Then, as Ray Peat wrote, Spring came and they ventured out to eating vegetables, famine food as he called it, and they suffered from stones and sickness because of it, I think the complications of our diets now, worrying about getting enough, the chemicals and the misconceptions of what is optimal is the problem. With that being said, people who take medications have created a domino affect in themselves and supplements are needed. Medications and good health do not go hand in hand, anymore than Jesus and black magic do. As for exercise, I guess going to the gym is the Ying to the television’s Yang. Nobody had to do that either a hundred years ago, and men were fit and strong, moving around all day, tending to their land and building things. Now we see people running nowhere on treadmills and rewarding themselves with something powdered mixed in water and wondering why they are balding. It is a little comical when you really think about it.

Yeah, I probably should have added "...given that one is supplementing scientifically". Taking x because one reads it's healthy or because one might need it can easily turn out to be less preferable than not supplementing at all.

Since supplementation is always somewhat disruptive to the metabolism, in order for the benefits to be greater than the downsides, the approach needs to be based on objective data, and be done as a response to a real biochemical need as well as with the aim of increasing overall balance of the body. Applying these criteria to different people might mean giving someone over 100mg of zinc a day and none to someone else. There is a lot of room for error if it's done blindly.
Exactly! I liked what you said about them being a “place card”. Supplements are looked at as being good while medicine is a negative, but I think too much good is just as bad. People that know what they are doing and know how vitamins relate to one another have a better chance at good health with supplements, but I think herbs are better, because they are real food, but even herbs can kill you, like Valerian root, comfrey and even something so innocent as mint. if you don’t know what you are doing.

Like you, because there is hardly a supplement I can take beyond 1-2 times, before experiencing bad effects, I question whether we should be supplementing at all. For now, I think there is validity to it, but that it's just like most of life—very challenging and hard to get it right; and that this is magnified for many that are overly sensitive. I think you may have a point about the amount of supplements that are needed. At least, I think it would make sense to use supplements to get up to par—if par could ever be reached—and then stop. I think the short answer to your question is more "yes" than "no", where you ask if our bodies are so poorly designed that we need all sorts of supplements to survive and thrive. I'm no scientist, but I think it's the law of entropy (if I'm stating and understanding that properly) that basically says all things are losing energy, hence the reason we age. As we've all witnessed, either within ourselves or others, imbalances and health issues come about. Many are hoping supplements, proper diet, exercise, etc. can compensate for those deficiencies and illnesses.
“Since the late 1930s, when synthetic vitamins were first used, the human being has experienced the largest growth in vitamin intake in human history. It is possible that excess vitamins, especially B vitamins, may contribute to the development of obesity. Vitamin-rich formulas and food fortification with vitamins may, to a large extent, be responsible for the increased prevalence of obesity over the past several decades. Different fortification policies and standards may account for the differences in the prevalence between countries, while disparities in the consumption of fortified foods may contribute to the disparities in obesity between population groups within a country. Staple food fortification may be of great harm because it leads to a sustained high vitamin intake. Therefore, given that there has been a significant increase in vitamin supply from natural sources, it is necessary and urgent to review and modify the standards of vitamin fortification.“

OP
Mossy

Mossy

I think you have a point there. Our food quality very well may be at an all time low—at least in the West, where mass-production and profit is more important than quality; and the supplements may help to compensate for that. Now, the question is, are our supplements as low quality as our food: are we piling IOUs on top of each other, with regard to proper nutrients for our bodies? I don't know how deficient our food is, but I have heard about our soil quality and general food quality for a while now.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

People in hard times were plowing fields at 70+ years old when supplements didn’t exist, eating just meat, potatoes, dairy and heirloom grains. Then, as Ray Peat wrote, Spring came and they ventured out to eating vegetables, famine food as he called it, and they suffered from stones and sickness because of it, I think the complications of our diets now, worrying about getting enough, the chemicals and the misconceptions of what is optimal is the problem. With that being said, people who take medications have created a domino affect in themselves and supplements are needed. Medications and good health do not go hand in hand, anymore than Jesus and black magic do. As for exercise, I guess going to the gym is the Ying to the television’s Yang. Nobody had to do that either a hundred years ago, and men were fit and strong, moving around all day, tending to their land and building things. Now we see people running nowhere on treadmills and rewarding themselves with something powdered mixed in water and wondering why they are balding. It is a little comical when you really think about it.
I do think there are many variables, but in general, I see the modern lifestyle as only so advanced, as compared to times past. But, it is complicated, for no doubt when hard times hit in times past, life could be very difficult. But, overall, the modern life, even with all the affluence, would seem to be a downgrade in the area of food quality and nutrition. Just how far removed the high-quality food days are from ours, and for what time periods, would take a high degree of analytics, but in general, between bad food and supplements today, it would seem we're lacking. It would also seem that our best health state is one free of supplements and medications, but being that life is never perfect, at some point we're all going to be in need of some degree of help. I don't know that all medications (supplements or prescriptions) have to equate to black magic, though, my personal take is the less you can get away with the better—if you can get away with it. But most, during their lifetime, will need help; and some will need constant and wide-ranging help. Granted, I think there is a neurotic tendency to over-focus and obsess. In general, simple is better; it's just that simple is not always easy—especially in our complex times. Modern exercise is a bit strange, I agree; but, sometimes that's all you have. All-in-all, I think life could be better for many with a simple-first perspective. It's just that not everyone can choose simple.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Staple food fortification may be of great harm because it leads to a sustained high vitamin intake.
I've thought about this as well, primarily with breakfast cereals. Which is one reason why I was going to attempt to make my own a while back. I just ran out of time.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

People can off of potatoes alone just fine for quite some time, raw milk is another well rounded food.
I think many, myself included, would prefer to eat potatoes and drink raw milk, but the starch in potatoes is incompatible with my gut, and the cost of raw milk is the same—too much $$.

I do think there are many variables, but in general, I see the modern lifestyle as only so advanced, as compared to times past. But, it is complicated, for no doubt when hard times hit in times past, life could be very difficult. But, overall, the modern life, even with all the affluence, would seem to be a downgrade in the area of food quality and nutrition. Just how far removed the high-quality food days are from ours, and for what time periods, would take a high degree of analytics, but in general, between bad food and supplements today, it would seem we're lacking. It would also seem that our best health state is one free of supplements and medications, but being that life is never perfect, at some point we're all going to be in need of some degree of help. I don't know that all medications (supplements or prescriptions) have to equate to black magic, though, my personal take is the less you can get away with the better—if you can get away with it. But most, during their lifetime, will need help; and some will need constant and wide-ranging help. Granted, I think there is a neurotic tendency to over-focus and obsess. In general, simple is better; it's just that simple is not always easy—especially in our complex times. Modern exercise is a bit strange, I agree; but, sometimes that's all you have. All-in-all, I think life could be better for many with a simple-first perspective. It's just that not everyone can choose simple.
I don’t know that I think getting the exact amount of vitamins is the key to living a healthy and long life. I think it is about the foods we eat in relation to the fats we store, our activity level and the amount of toxins we surround ourselves with that is more important, and sleep.

Here is something interesting that is to my point…

“That’s the message of a study published in the journal PLOS ONE that found that pear-shaped people, who have comparatively thinner waists than people shaped like apples, tend to live longer.

To reach their conclusion, researchers measured the waist-to-height ratio of almost 7,500 people in the UK between 1985 and 2005. They compared the data to US studies that used body mass index (BMI), and discovered that keeping your waistline to less than half your height predicted you would live longer. What's more, they suggested that waist-to-height ratio was a more accurate predictor of longevity than BMI.

How BMI can fool you​

BMI has been used as a measure of health since the 19th century, and it’s a much more complicated calculation than waist-to-height ratio. To get it, you have to multiply your weight in pounds by 703, divide by your height in inches, then divide that number by your height in inches again.

Your final calculation then places you in one of five different groups:

• Below 18.5 means you’re underweight
  • Between 18.5 to 24.9 is healthy
  • Between 25 and 29.9 is overweight
  • Between 30 and 39.9 is obese
  • 40 and over is extremely obese
The problem is, BMI doesn’t take muscle mass into account, which can put someone into the overweight or obese categories even if he or she isn’t carrying extra fat. It also neglects to measure belly fat, which indicates a larger waistline and may be particularly dangerous for your heart.”

TucsonJJ

“Since the late 1930s, when synthetic vitamins were first used, the human being has experienced the largest growth in vitamin intake in human history. It is possible that excess vitamins, especially B vitamins, may contribute to the development of obesity. Vitamin-rich formulas and food fortification with vitamins may, to a large extent, be responsible for the increased prevalence of obesity over the past several decades. Different fortification policies and standards may account for the differences in the prevalence between countries, while disparities in the consumption of fortified foods may contribute to the disparities in obesity between population groups within a country. Staple food fortification may be of great harm because it leads to a sustained high vitamin intake. Therefore, given that there has been a significant increase in vitamin supply from natural sources, it is necessary and urgent to review and modify the standards of vitamin fortification.“
Ah... I am thinking that the B vitamins, which I took pretty much daily, are the main reason for me feeling "off" so often... I especially suspect niacinamide, which I switched to after reading Dinkov and Mercola raving about it... I seem to remember now trying it years ago and it made me feel brain-foggy, weak and irritable...
I have developed some belly fat too, which is new over the last few years... I am pretty lean and muscular otherwise, for an old bird... :-(
And many of my supps over the years very likely had the bad "inactive ingredients" too...

Ah... I am thinking that the B vitamins, which I took pretty much daily, are the main reason for me feeling "off" so often... I especially suspect niacinamide, which I switched to after reading Dinkov and Mercola raving about it... I seem to remember now trying it years ago and it made me feel brain-foggy, weak and irritable...
I have developed some belly fat too, which is new over the last few years... I am pretty lean and muscular otherwise, for an old bird... :-(
And many of my supps over the years very likely had the bad "inactive ingredients" too...
I was stunned to read that this morning, about vitamins causing weight gain. Maybe dropping them will help you get that belly gone!

TucsonJJ

I don’t know that I think getting the exact amount of vitamins is the key to living a healthy and long life. I think it is about the foods we eat in relation to the fats we store, our activity level and the amount of toxins we surround ourselves with that is more important, and sleep.

Here is something interesting that is to my point…

“That’s the message of a study published in the journal PLOS ONE that found that pear-shaped people, who have comparatively thinner waists than people shaped like apples, tend to live longer.

To reach their conclusion, researchers measured the waist-to-height ratio of almost 7,500 people in the UK between 1985 and 2005. They compared the data to US studies that used body mass index (BMI), and discovered that keeping your waistline to less than half your height predicted you would live longer. What's more, they suggested that waist-to-height ratio was a more accurate predictor of longevity than BMI.

How BMI can fool you​

BMI has been used as a measure of health since the 19th century, and it’s a much more complicated calculation than waist-to-height ratio. To get it, you have to multiply your weight in pounds by 703, divide by your height in inches, then divide that number by your height in inches again.

Your final calculation then places you in one of five different groups:

• Below 18.5 means you’re underweight
  • Between 18.5 to 24.9 is healthy
  • Between 25 and 29.9 is overweight
  • Between 30 and 39.9 is obese
  • 40 and over is extremely obese
The problem is, BMI doesn’t take muscle mass into account, which can put someone into the overweight or obese categories even if he or she isn’t carrying extra fat. It also neglects to measure belly fat, which indicates a larger waistline and may be particularly dangerous for your heart.”

Yes, BMI, as currently calculated, for anyone that works out... is absurd. They could easily add "level of exercise, LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH" to make the calculations far more useful. OR even waist size.
At one point a few years ago, I was 6'1", 225, 34" waist and considered morbidly obese.

Last edited:

TucsonJJ

I was stunned to read that this morning, about vitamins causing weight gain. Maybe dropping them will help you get that belly gone!
I think it is already working... I do not have nearly the bloat/distension after just a week or 10 days... I hope the belly fat follows... I sure hope it is not all PUFA, but it may well be. I tried to eat healthy and for gut health too, but was marfing down Trader Joe organic tortilla chips (fried in PUFA and recommended as a low FODMAP snack), sunflower seeds (high PUFA) by the bag-full... I liked light mayo... plenty of lite ranch dressing... both a soybean oil festival... DOH!!

I'm going to have to return my Phi Beta Kappa key! 🤪

TucsonJJ

I think many, myself included, would prefer to eat potatoes and drink raw milk, but the starch in potatoes is incompatible with my gut, and the cost of raw milk is the same—too much $$.
Potatoes bloat me a little, but I can bear it... I do better with real sourdough bread Rustik Oven is xlnt.
I don't bother with raw milk, I think "grass fed" is fine. I like Zeal Creamery, but it is not always in the Sprouts I get my milk from. Their chocolate milk is really great.

I think it is already working... I do not have nearly the bloat/distension after just a week or 10 days... I hope the belly fat follows... I sure hope it is not all PUFA, but it may well be. I tried to eat healthy and for gut health too, but was marfing down Trader Joe organic tortilla chips (fried in PUFA and recommended as a low FODMAP snack), sunflower seeds (high PUFA) by the bag-full... I liked light mayo... plenty of lite ranch dressing... both a soybean oil festival... DOH!!

I'm going to have to return my Phi Beta Kappa key! 🤪
“Soybean oil festival”, that’s funny! None of that even sounds good, lite mayonnaise?! If I am going to eat mayonnaise it is gonna be Best Foods on a bowl of steamed and buttered Brussels sprouts, or I would make a batch of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (the buttermilk recipe one) and put it on cold iceberg lettuce and top it with crushed saltines, my own creation by the way, so good! I don’t partake though because I like my FLAT STOMACH 😝

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals