Peat's Carrot Salad Strips Endotoxin - Same as Dinkov's Cellulose Fiber?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I see that Peat recommends Carrot Salad, as a way to push endotoxin out of the gut.

I see that, in various interviews, Haidut recommends cellulose fiber (like the below product) as a way to push endotoxin out of the gut.
Amazon product ASIN B000M8OM9UView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M8OM9U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems like these methods are similar.
If so, it seems like cellulose might be a better option for avoiding the destructive effects of carotene.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

GTW

Destructive effects of carotene? At what dose? There are trade-offs in most substances and methods. How much carrot is too much?

mostlylurking

Destructive effects of carotene? At what dose? There are trade-offs in most substances and methods. How much carrot is too much?
If you're sensitive to carotene, you can simply soak the shredded carrots in cool water, drain, squeeze out the water, then use them. I make enough for 5-7 days at a time.

lvysaur

The carrot juice is also inherently antibacterial, I think FunctionalPS has a paper that shows it
It's not just the fiber type. Personally never had a problem with carotene so I still eat them normally

GTW

If you're sensitive to carotene, you can simply soak the shredded carrots in cool water, drain, squeeze out the water, then use them. I make enough for 5-7 days at a time.
What does that do? Isn't carotene a lipid?

Dave Clark

Unless I am confused, I thought Peat recommended cooking greens, etc. to help break down cellulose because he considered it a gut irritant. I didn't think the carrot salad's benefits were because of the cellulose, otherwise other raw vegetables would do the same job, and Peat didn't advise eating raw vegetables because they we not digestible due to the cellulose.

Unless I am confused, I thought Peat recommended cooking greens, etc. to help break down cellulose because he considered it a gut irritant. I didn't think the carrot salad's benefits were because of the cellulose, otherwise other raw vegetables would do the same job, and Peat didn't advise eating raw vegetables because they we not digestible due to the cellulose.
He advised one carrot, cut with a peeler into ribbons. The carotene is mostly bound up in the fiberous carrot. Orange carrots are engineered to be orange and actually rainbow carrots are the original carrot. Nowadays I use mostly the white and purple carrots, which don’t have much vitamin A. Dr. Peat said bamboo shoots, mushrooms and artichokes do the same as the carrot salad. So I stuck to the artichoke, because I enjoy them the most. I do like my version of the carrot salad with some Asian pear, rice vinegar, sugar and salt though. Be sure to eat these estrogen clearing vegetables away from food, because they take vitamins and minerals about of the body too….

1700589345584.jpeg

1700589394475.jpeg

“We found many genes involved in flowering regulation that were selected in multiple populations in orange carrot, likely to adapt to different geographic regions,” Iorizzo said.

The study also adds further evidence that carrots were domesticated in the 9th or 10th century in western and central Asia.

“Purple carrots were common in central Asia along with yellow carrots,” Iorizzo said. “Both were brought to Europe, but yellow carrots were more popular, likely due to their taste.”

Orange carrots made their appearance in western Europe in about the 15th or 16th century. The orange carrot may have resulted from crossing a white and yellow carrot, Iorizzo said.“

“Carrots are descendants of wild carrots, or Queen Anne’s lace. It is believed that carrots originated in Asia around AD 900 and were actually yellow and purple in color! Orange carrots didn’t come along until around the 1400s - 1500s.

As we’ve learned, carrots can come in many colors, but do all carrots have the same nutrient value?

• Purple carrots are high in anthocyanins, which are rich in antioxidants.
  • Yellow carrots contain xanthophylls, which is linked to having good vision.
  • Red carrots are a good source of lycopene, which can help fight against heart disease and some cancers.
  • White carrots lack color, but not nutrients, as they are a rich source of fiber.
  • Orange carrots are rich in beta- and alpha-carotene, which are great for reducing your risk of eye diseases.”

“Which color carrot is the healthiest?

1700589725227.jpeg

purple carrots

Though all types of carrots are nutritious and healthy, purple carrots contain powerful antioxidants called anthocyanins that have impressive effects on your health. Eating purple carrots may improve heart health, encourage weight loss, and reduce inflammation and your risk of certain cancers.”

David PS

Dr. Peat liked both carrots and bamboo shoots.

GTW

Health benefits of carotene in carrots are not limited to vitamin A conversion.
Most of the carotene in carrots is within the cells. Little is going to leach out soaking in water, nor even in digestion of raw carrots.

David PS

But then if you use something as simple as flowers of sulfur, and I think Dr. Peat said 200 milligrams a day for two to three days works pretty effectively. Which is just like a pinch, a large pinch. And things such as carrot salad, shredded carrots with a little olive oil and vinegar and salt, the oil suppresses Candida multiplication, and the carrot has antifungal substances naturally because it grows in the ground and has to avoid being -- Resists digestion. Yeah, I'm eating a lot of carrots. I'm eating all those things. Did you say vinegar too, though?

I enjoy artichokes more than the carrot salad and RP says...

"They have broad antibiotic and anticancer effects, I don’t know of any harm from them." -Ray Peat

GTW

Each plant species has a repertory of protective antimicrobial substances\phytochemicals. It's a competitive jungle there!
That carrots grow in the ground proves nothing; if it works to reduce digestive pathology then growing in the ground is after the fact rationale.
However thinking of other traditional appetizer vinegar enhanced salads: cucumbers, cole slaw, pickled grilled eggplant...
In Japan burdock and carrot are stir fried. Or:

Logan-

Dr. Peat said bamboo shoots, mushrooms and artichokes do the same as the carrot salad. So I stuck to the artichoke, because I enjoy them the most.
Can you provide a source for the artichoke being in the same category as the others, from Ray Peat?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals