Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

raypeatclips

A: Could taking aspirin and cyproheptadine sometimes worsen liver problems?

Q: The excipients often used with them are probably as likely to affect the liver as the chemicals themselves.

Does anyone know if the excipients in cyproheptadine tablets are particularly harmful? I messaged the company that produces them asking what their excipients were. They said they were happy to help and asked what country I was from and why I wanted to know. I replied and then they said they don't email out the ingredients in the pills to people... Not sure why they wanted to know the information.

blob69

Does anyone know if the excipients in cyproheptadine tablets are particularly harmful?

I don't think you can say one drug is better than the other in this regard - I guess it depends on the manufacturer what they decide to add in.

raypeatclips

I think all the email exchange
from Peatarian exchange and Email Advice should be in one page so we can do
word search on the page and find the answer quickly.

I think this should be done too, it is easy to lose answers in this long thread with many pages. In the past anyone used to be able to edit the email exchanges wiki and add their own replies from Ray. Would it be possible for this to be done again, or a system where you submit a question and an admin verifies it and it gets added to the list?

Mittir

I am wondering if Dopamine is a hormone or neurotransmitter only.
RP mentioned that people wrongly thinks that serotonin is a hormone.
I am guessing he probably does not think of dopamine as a hormone.

Here is another quote from RP on sex and masturbation.
Everything goes back to thyroid.

High estrogen does sometimes cause insatiable sexual interest, partly because it increases adrenal androgens, and partly by inhibiting satisfying orgasms. Too much progesterone can suppress or neutralize the androgens. Thyroid is the best way to regulate the system, keeping libido up, making orgasms satisfying.

[Does masturbation or sex have positive or negative effects on the hormones or stress?] Generally positive, but intense arousal can have unwanted consequences, such as herpes virus outbreaks.

milk_lover

I am wondering if Dopamine is a hormone or neurotransmitter only.
RP mentioned that people wrongly thinks that serotonin is a hormone.
I am guessing he probably does not think of dopamine as a hormone.

Here is another quote from RP on sex and masturbation.
Everything goes back to thyroid.

High estrogen does sometimes cause insatiable sexual interest, partly because it increases adrenal androgens, and partly by inhibiting satisfying orgasms. Too much progesterone can suppress or neutralize the androgens. Thyroid is the best way to regulate the system, keeping libido up, making orgasms satisfying.

[Does masturbation or sex have positive or negative effects on the hormones or stress?] Generally positive, but intense arousal can have unwanted consequences, such as herpes virus outbreaks.
According to Wikipedia, "In the brain, dopamine functions as a neurotransmitter—a chemical released by neurons(nerve cells) to send signals to other nerve cells."
Thyroid is good for almost every bodily function including sex but sometimes if the metabolism is very high, you can deplete important vitamins for sex like B6 for example. So yeah good sufficient diet that keeps metabolism high is the way to go I think.

Makrosky

Question:
Regarding supplementing Androsterone, what do you think about it ? Is it safe ? Looks promising since it appears to be Thyromimetic, Thermogenic, Anabolic, Anxiolytic, Antidepressant, etc. A guy in the forum calls it the "progesterone for men".

Answer:
I think it would be safe enough to try in treating cancer or brain degenerative diseases. The phrase “progesterone for men” must have been coined by an advertiser.

As often... Cryptical answer. Does it mean it's so safe it can be used in very delicated health situations like those he mentioned, or did he mean it's only safe for critical health situations ?

LOL! Btw... I'll take the phrase "coined by an advertiser" for "coined by an enthusiastic" :)

@haidut it might interest you.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Question:

Answer:

As often... Cryptical answer. Does it mean it's so safe it can be used in very delicated health situations like those he mentioned, or did he mean it's only safe for critical health situations ?

LOL! Btw... I'll take the phrase "coined by an advertiser" for "coined by an enthusiastic" :)

@haidut it might interest you.

Lol, this is funny indeed. Btw, the phrase "progesterone for men" was Patrick Arnold's at least as far as I know. I forgot to give him "credit" for that, but since it does indeed sound market-y I should not be using it. Maybe something like androstanedione would be more suitable for the term since it has 2 ketone groups compared to the 1 for androsterone. Probably the most accurate description would be "mirror image of DHT" as its structure is exactly the same as DHT with the ketone and hydroxyl groups in reversed positions.
I don't know what to make of his answer except that maybe it is most suitable for those conditions??? If somebody send him questions about it please include the actual studies I posted (not the forum threads) since he may not have had much experience with that specific steroid and would like to see some literature before giving more specific opinion.

Last edited:

paymanz

about tea , and if there is any concern in regard of its estrogen and tannin content...
ray peat said:
The addition of lemon or milk to tea reduces the reactivity of the tannins. In recent years, the tea industry has very commonly been adulterating the product. Pu erh is one that still seems to be o.k.

it seems like ray is not worry about estrogen content of tea , but im still confused , most of studies on pubmed shows higher estrogen level in black tea drinkers , and lower E level in green tea drinkers than non drinkers.

any thoughts?!

Last edited:
In answer to a question about the anaemia of chronic disease and leukaemia....

"Estrogen is a stress and crisis hormone, so there’s a steady upward tendency in its effect with age, which is interrupted during the fertile years by progesterone. Progesterone decline usually starts around age 40 because of things interfering with thyroid function. Declining liver function and increasing pituitary activity influence the way problems develop. Oxygen tension is normally low in bone marrow, and stimulates constant cell proliferation, but when estrogen’s oxygen-wasting effect is added, it changes the balance of cell growth; its worst effect is to stimulate fibroblasts and collagen production in the marrow, displacing the red and white cells. Estrogen shifts cells from oxidative production of carbon dioxide to the glycolytic formation of lactic acid, tending to prevent normal differentiation of cell function. The effects of estrogen include the leakage of the lactic acid-forming enzyme LDH into the serum, and the increase of copper in the serum, and these are recognized as signs of CLL, but the genetic-clonal ideology of cancer prevents recognition of the metabolic pattern. Estrogen causes relative hyperventilation, reinforcing the cellular changes. CLL seems to be less common in people adapted to high altitude, where lactic acid formation is inhibited."

Awesome :darts:

Edit: wrong thread :oops:

Last edited:

raypeatclips

Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

This reply has some very interesting points to it. Making cakes with powdered milk instead of flour caught my eye, something I would be interested in making in the future and hadn't thought of before.

The temporary fillings with zinc he mentioned mildly antiseptic, of course! Anyone interested in getting a mouthful of temporary fillings to avoid having to eat carrot ever again? ;)

paymanz

[ moderator edit: reply to this post ]

Thank you very much ,you asked him interesting questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

That actually gave me an idea, I am thinking we should feed all the "Email Advice" we have collected here on the forum, into the "Peatarian.com Email Exchanges" located at the wiki, and just rename it "Email Exchanges" or whatever we come up with.

If anyone is up to that task, that would be surely helpful to many people. :hattip
I am about to update the wiki page with the email advice. Almost done. Would you like to change the disclaimer and the title of this wiki page?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am about to update the wiki page with the email advice. Almost done.
Awesome!

Would you like to change the disclaimer and the title of this wiki page?

How is this?

Title - Ray Peat Email Exchanges

Disclaimer -
Ray Peat regularly answers to e-mails from people all around the world. Danny Roddy categorized several of these responses in 2012 -- with Ray’s permission. We have added onto this collection with emails submitted to the "Ray Peat Forum Email Depository".

It's difficult to know whether or not a submission is really a response from Ray, so you might want to keep an open mind while reading this page.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals