20 Questions With Ray Peat -- Discussion Thread

aquaman

Charlie said:
8 more answers posted up. We are halfway through! :P

Feel free to discuss answers here or make another thread if you like. :hattip

Thanks. Can you post them on p1 of the 20 questiosn thread too? They may get lost on p6 !

I found these answers a bit short and harder to interpret (as Ray somedoes does), which is disappointing.

InChristAlone

I would love to discuss question #2 because I am going through adrenaline rushes/anxiety attacks mostly at night and its significantly impacting my life. It is much worse if I don't get enough food in during the daytime, and around ovulation and menses. But the idea that this is caused by intestinal irritation leading to serotonin release is something I am just now learning about. I used to think it was just either hypoglycemia, allergic reaction, estrogen dominance, or low cortisol. I really don't think I'm the classic estrogen dominant type, so this is leading me to believe things I eat that don't digest well when I'm in a state of sympathetic dominance leads to serotonin release and thus an adrenaline attack.

I was doing really good for a few days, sleeping alright, no attacks, was getting in plenty of sugar. Then bam last night I had tacos for dinner then milk at bedtime, and it caused an attack within 20 minutes, I then realized that dinner was still sitting in my stomach thus leading me to believe that there was fermentation going on leading to toxin release and an adrenaline reaction.

Question is how do I prevent that from happening again? Take hcl w/pepsin at meals? If it is really undigested food causing these attacks I would think doing everything I can to digest my food well will help. It seems to be much worse from ground beef, so I will avoid that for now. Also getting in to a state of parasympathetic dominance to relax and digest would be helpful, bag breathing helps with this I think.

Mittir

@Janelle525

RP has mentioned that digestion slows down after sunset and that is why
he recommends that we eat most of our protein during day time and
mostly fat and carbohydrate after sunset. Protein needs extra digestive
power, sugar and fat are quickly absorbed in the upper part of intestine.
Cortisol also increases after sunset and eating carbs should keep cortisol in check.
You may consider red light therapy , it is just 200-500 watts of regular incandescent
or brooder lamps for chicken. Bright light lowers cortisol rise.

Gut irritation increases serotonin and that can be undigested foods or
allergenic substances found in bad supplements. RP also recommends
raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo shoots in the afternoon to clear up the
intestine. starch and soluble fiber feeds bad bacteria. Endotoxin causes
hormonal imbalance by weakening the liver which supposed to detoxify
all the estrogen passing through it. This causes rise in estrogen, cortisol,
serotonin etc.

You can eat and drink simple foods like sugared milk, ice cream, fruit juices
like OJ, Apple juice from sunset till bed time. Pectin in OJ is problematic
for many, RP thinks if orange is not sweet and ripe then straining it will not
help. Fructose and lactose are very good at refilling glycogen. Protein stimulates
insulin and without enough carbohydrate it can cause hypoglycemia.
Low thyroid function lowers gastric juice and peristalsis .
RP thinks fixing thyroid should take care of digestion.
But, i have seen older people doing great with digestive enzymes.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
aquaman said:
Thanks. Can you post them on p1 of the 20 questiosn thread too? They may get lost on p6 !

Yes I plan on it.

InChristAlone

Mittir said:
@Janelle525

RP has mentioned that digestion slows down after sunset and that is why
he recommends that we eat most of our protein during day time and
mostly fat and carbohydrate after sunset. Protein needs extra digestive
power, sugar and fat are quickly absorbed in the upper part of intestine.
Cortisol also increases after sunset and eating carbs should keep cortisol in check.
You may consider red light therapy , it is just 200-500 watts of regular incandescent
or brooder lamps for chicken. Bright light lowers cortisol rise.

Gut irritation increases serotonin and that can be undigested foods or
allergenic substances found in bad supplements. RP also recommends
raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo shoots in the afternoon to clear up the
intestine. starch and soluble fiber feeds bad bacteria. Endotoxin causes
hormonal imbalance by weakening the liver which supposed to detoxify
all the estrogen passing through it. This causes rise in estrogen, cortisol,
serotonin etc.

You can eat and drink simple foods like sugared milk, ice cream, fruit juices
like OJ, Apple juice from sunset till bed time. Pectin in OJ is problematic
for many, RP thinks if orange is not sweet and ripe then straining it will not
help. Fructose and lactose are very good at refilling glycogen. Protein stimulates
insulin and without enough carbohydrate it can cause hypoglycemia.
Low thyroid function lowers gastric juice and peristalsis .
RP thinks fixing thyroid should take care of digestion.
But, i have seen older people doing great with digestive enzymes.

Thanks mittir :) I seemed to have figured out part of my issue, gluten was causing inflammation or something because as soon as I stopped eating it I had major stress relief. I think food sensitivities may be underlying anxiety attacks for a lot of people. I seem to be able to tolerate some starch, but I think less starch overall is better.

pboy

this seems to be a general thing most people here come to...starch as an occasional is fine, but every day or too often it can become an issue. I personally only eat it when I cant get ripe melons...or in rare other circumstances. Properly made masa in a balanced meal might be an exception...or high amylopectin white rice. I usually go to sweet potato cause they are nearly balanced in of themselves, with only a bit of added protein

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Nothing. :(

I have not heard from Ray but maybe I will send an email to see what he says. Just don't want to bother him.

Good to know that Ray Peat is a fellow procrastinator :mrgreen: :whistle :help

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have been informed we are on his list of top 100 things to do. :P

Was dissapointed we did not make the top 20 at least. :cry:

burtlancast

Did you try blackmailing him ?
Just tell him the transcripts might not find their way to him...

burtlancast said:
Did you try blackmailing him ?
Just tell him the transcripts might not find their way to him...

They fell off the internet truck :cool: Of course the man is gonna have a top 100 where normal people have only twenty things in mind. Genius I say!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
^ :rolling

johns74

If something like this were to happen again, I suggest changing the approach to select questions slightly. Instead of picking a question after it receives 5 votes, picking the most-voted questions after a long period of proposing and voting, like, say, 3 months.

narouz

pboy said:
this seems to be a general thing most people here come to...starch as an occasional is fine, but every day or too often it can become an issue. I personally only eat it when I cant get ripe melons...or in rare other circumstances. Properly made masa in a balanced meal might be an exception...or high amylopectin white rice. I usually go to sweet potato cause they are nearly balanced in of themselves, with only a bit of added protein

pboy-
Please elaborate on the sweet potato.
No problem with carotene for you?

I'm also intrigued with your masa and special rice idea.

narouz

johns74 said:
If something like this were to happen again, I suggest changing the approach to select questions slightly. Instead of picking a question after it receives 5 votes, picking the most-voted questions after a long period of proposing and voting, like, say, 3 months.

It was a wonderful notion!
I loved reading the replies.
After all, we learned about the turnip.

johns' idea has its merits though.

Narouz, I tried to make an avatar for you. Tell me what you think:

Attachments

• turnouz.jpg
    turnouz.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 687

pboy

narouz said:
pboy said:

pboy-
Please elaborate on the sweet potato.
No problem with carotene for you?

I'm also intrigued with your masa and special rice idea.

well...white rice and masa are lacking the potassium and magnesium, but are better than most other starches because they are only slightly imbalanced phosphorus to calcium, which even cooking in a good mineral water can help overcome...they still need accompaniments to process properly but are relatively less likely to produce endotoxin or metabolic problems compared to other grains. Sweet potato is extremely balanced nutritionally, almost 1:1 cal/pho and plenty of potassium and magnesium and b vitamins, but unfortunately its high in resistant starch even if well cooked and eaten fresh, and a bit fiberous bulky...so its liable to pretty high amounts of endotoxin and gas. If I do eat them, its at night last meal of the day so im not bothered by the gut stuff...I sleep it off. Still though I don't think either of these are ideal, just better options, not that bad, compared to other starches. As for sweet potato..its like carrots with me, I don't know if its just me...even carrot juice, stool the next day is orange...so I don't think I absorb much of any of the beta carotene. The orange sweet potatos are slightly more gas producing then the white or purple sweet potatoes, so maybe it interferes slightly with digestion...if I do eat them I prefer the white or purple ones

managing

So, am I missing something, or did RP only ever answer 10 of those questions?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals