Ray says glucosamine is associated with changes in the pancreas like diabetes. So why all the positivity?

GTW

Many studies show broad range of benefits for N-Acetyl Glucosamine. The amine in NAG is glutamine.
Newer data? Change with the times...

Kimster

Forum Supporter
Ray says glucosamine is associated with changes in the pancreas like diabetes however a search on the forum only indicates benefits by the posters.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaY7YiLnO-c

So why the contradiction?

Anybody agree with Ray?

What's the truth about glucosamine?

Just today on GreenMedInfo.com and article on glucosamine. btw GreenMedInfo has the largest data base on NON-pharmaceuticals available. Search resources. Plus at the bottom of this article is a click link to a glucosamine data base.

Less Bloating, Better Nutrient Absorption - The Overlooked Digestive Perks of Glucosamine​

GTW

Can distinguish glucosamine HCl from Sulfate from N-Acetyl. Additional benefits of NAG may be related to absorption and bioavailability. Several studies looked at MS. Attributed crossing BBB to enter CNS.
One study: >Previous preclinical, human genetic, and ex vivo human mechanistic studies revealed that N-glycan branching and/or GlcNAc may reduce proinflammatory responses, promote myelin repair, and decrease neurodegeneration. Combined, the data suggest that GlcNAc deficiency may be associated with progressive disease and neurodegeneration in patients with MS.
A later study: >N-acetyglucosamine (GlcNAc) is a triple modulator of inflammation, myelination and neurodegeneration. GlcNAc promotes biosynthesis of Asn (N)-linked-glycans, which interact with galectins to co-regulate the clustering/signaling/endocytosis of multiple glycoproteins simultaneously. In mice, GlcNAc crosses the blood brain barrier to raise N-glycan branching, suppress inflammatory demyelination by T and B cells and trigger stem/progenitor cell mediated myelin repair. MS clinical severity, demyelination lesion size and neurodegeneration inversely associate with a marker of endogenous GlcNAc, while in healthy humans, age-associated increases in endogenous GlcNAc promote T cell senescence.

Osukhan

Can distinguish glucosamine HCl from Sulfate from N-Acetyl. Additional benefits of NAG may be related to absorption and bioavailability. Several studies looked at MS. Attributed crossing BBB to enter CNS.
One study: >Previous preclinical, human genetic, and ex vivo human mechanistic studies revealed that N-glycan branching and/or GlcNAc may reduce proinflammatory responses, promote myelin repair, and decrease neurodegeneration. Combined, the data suggest that GlcNAc deficiency may be associated with progressive disease and neurodegeneration in patients with MS.
A later study: >N-acetyglucosamine (GlcNAc) is a triple modulator of inflammation, myelination and neurodegeneration. GlcNAc promotes biosynthesis of Asn (N)-linked-glycans, which interact with galectins to co-regulate the clustering/signaling/endocytosis of multiple glycoproteins simultaneously. In mice, GlcNAc crosses the blood brain barrier to raise N-glycan branching, suppress inflammatory demyelination by T and B cells and trigger stem/progenitor cell mediated myelin repair. MS clinical severity, demyelination lesion size and neurodegeneration inversely associate with a marker of endogenous GlcNAc, while in healthy humans, age-associated increases in endogenous GlcNAc promote T cell senescence.

Sumbody

Ray says glucosamine is associated with changes in the pancreas like diabetes however a search on the forum only indicates benefits by the posters.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaY7YiLnO-c

So why the contradiction?

Anybody agree with Ray?

What's the truth about glucosamine?

Glucosamine and MSM have been go to supplements for me in order to treat arthritis from old injuries.

Helped a lot with muscle recovery/soreness and just overall less inflammation too. Kinda feel like they can also promote a better sense of well being, but that might be subtle and unique to the individual.

Have taken both together for up to 2-3 months at a time and never turned into a diabetic, (as far as I know). A typical dose for me would be something like 1.5 grams glucosamine and 4-5 grams MSM.

These days however I have found that taurine seems to do about the same for me, but with additional benefits perhaps.

If anyone knows of benefits for glucosamine/MSM beyond what taurine can do please chime in!

Sumbody

Less Bloating, Better Nutrient Absorption - The Overlooked Digestive Perks of Glucosamine​

This is interesting.

I don't remember getting digestive benefits while taking glucosamine, but perhaps there were. I do remember a greater sense of well being.

The study cited in that article used 3 grams glucosamine and saw benefits in gastro function and microbiome after only 3 weeks!

I think typical doses of glucosamine are right around 1.5g per serving. Might have to double down and try this.

GTW

This:
The mfg recommended dose is 1.5 gm?
NAG dose for pediatric inflammatory bowel was 6 gm and 12 gm...
Above linked study was glucosamine sulfate, HCl, or what?

Sumbody

This:
A couple things however...

"In our experiments, we used doses five to ten times higher than that recommended by most manufacturers, or 1,500 mg/day," stressed Professor Picard.

This phenomenon has not been shown in humans but if it were the case, the elderly -- who constitute the target market for glucosamine -- would be even more vulnerable.

I do believe caution should be exercised with just about anything we do or consume. But what I also didn't see mentioned was the duration? Weeks? Months? Years?

Doubling the dose, however, for a brief period of 3-4 weeks, in order to positively modulate the microbiome and get some relief from arthritis sounds very beneficial.

Last edited:

GTW

>In supplement form, glucosamine is harvested from shells of shellfish or made in a lab. There are several forms of glucosamine, including glucosamine sulfate, glucosamine hydrochloride and N-acetyl glucosamine. These supplements aren't considered interchangeable.

Sumbody

This is the study referenced in the above article in relation to glucosamine and beta cells.

GTW

NAG does not notably affect glucose metabolism...
>GlcNAc has been used safely in multiple clinical trials; no adverse effects have been observed at >2,000 mg/kg/day of GlcNAc, based on previous chronic toxicity and carcinogenicity studies (30). In the present study, no serious adverse events after oral administration of GlcNAc were exhibited. In contrast, administration of glucosamine hydrochloride or sulfate may induce insulin resistance and progression of diabetes, since glucosamine has the potential to inhibit glucokinase in glucose metabolism. GlcNAc has a lower affinity for glucokinase when compared with glucosamine and therefore does not notably affect glucose metabolism (31). Furthermore, a previous study has demonstrated that 12-week administration of GlcNAc (1,250 mg/day) does not affect the levels of blood glucose, glycoalbumin and haemoglobin A1c (15). In the present study, blood glucose levels were not significantly changed in the GlcNAc groups (500 and 1,000 mg/day). Thus, this suggests that GlcNAc may be safe to administer as a supplement

Dave Clark

I don't know why it happened, but about five years ago I tried NAG, and about the second day my lower stomach blew up, mostly on the left side, and looked like I was inflated with a tire pump. I don't know if it was an allergic reaction, or if I had SIBO and it triggered it. Freaked me out. I stopped to think what I was doing different, then I remembered I added NAG. I stopped it, and the symptom went away. I am reluctant to ever try it again, and I am leery to even take any glucosamine knowing the possible effects on pancreas, blood sugar, etc. So, I have stuck to chondroitin and MSM for joint health, and do not seem to have any issues with it. Some people might do well with glucosamine, but I am not taking a chance on it again. Disappointing, since I had read some good longevity studies on it.

GTW

I don't know why it happened, but about five years ago I tried NAG, and about the second day my lower stomach blew up, mostly on the left side, and looked like I was inflated with a tire pump. I don't know if it was an allergic reaction, or if I had SIBO and it triggered it. Freaked me out. I stopped to think what I was doing different, then I remembered I added NAG. I stopped it, and the symptom went away. I am reluctant to ever try it again, and I am leery to even take any glucosamine knowing the possible effects on pancreas, blood sugar, etc. So, I have stuck to chondroitin and MSM for joint health, and do not seem to have any issues with it. Some people might do well with glucosamine, but I am not taking a chance on it again. Disappointing, since I had read some good longevity studies on it.
As all forms of glucosamine are derived from shellfish apparently, some may react badly.

Sumbody

In contrast, administration of glucosamine hydrochloride or sulfate may induce insulin resistance and progression of diabetes, since glucosamine has the potential to inhibit glucokinase in glucose metabolism.
I can't speak in reference to NAG, which seems to be more so the topic of interest here.

The study above did say that even normal doses, ie: 1500mg of Glucosamine exhibited the same effect on beta cells.

However they do state that the results may not reflect what can actually occur in humans.

IMO, with the popularity of glucosamine for joint health and the fact that likely atleast a million or so folks worldwide use it, and from the sound of it, use it for very long periods of time, I would surmise that IF there was a threat of inducing some form of Type 1 diabetes, or the like, it would be quite well known by now. It's use, and even availability would likely be more in question due to the fact it could present a very dangerous health effect to the public.

Not to mention, the elderly here, whom are most likely to consume these supplements would be more at risk and susceptible to such an occurrence.

Just my 2 cents, but that could be wrong.

Last edited:

Sumbody

My anecdotal experiences with glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM have been nothing but positive and short of the common phrase "life-saving".

As a carpenter, I had the worst case of tennis elbow for nearly 5 months from wielding a nail gun around on a daily basis. I was terrified my arm would forever be in that painful state as it showed no signs of getting better.

I started taking the above on a weekend, and by Friday the following week my arm was completely healed. No pain, no swelling, no inhibited range of motion. I was blown away, because I had put up with the problem for so long. And that was the only change I made, I did not rest either and continued to work as usual even during that period.

It has also worked incredibly well to heal Costochondritis for me in the event I had suffered a rib injury.

Sulfur compounds seem to work incredibly well for soft tissue/arthritis related problems which in my belief stem from fungal and even perhaps bacterial related issues. MSM comes to mind here but the bunch seem to work synergistically together.

The forum member Travis had spoken previously about that as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals