Repeated altitude sickness

max93

I have a friend who has always had trouble with altitude -- nausea, dizziness, headache, general sickness, vomiting (sometimes with blood). It sounds like it happens pretty much every time visiting a high-altitude location, and resolves when coming back toward sea-level. Also, pretty much always throws up after flying. She asked for some help getting to the bottom of why this was happening, so I thought I would post here and see if anyone has leads. I noticed independently that she exhibits many hallmark hypothyroid symptoms, but is not, nor has been on any medication or treatment plan for it. I was wondering if maybe the two were related. Any thoughts or leads on this? Would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction!

Makrosky

I have a friend who has always had trouble with altitude -- nausea, dizziness, headache, general sickness, vomiting (sometimes with blood). It sounds like it happens pretty much every time visiting a high-altitude location, and resolves when coming back toward sea-level. Also, pretty much always throws up after flying. She asked for some help getting to the bottom of why this was happening, so I thought I would post here and see if anyone has leads. I noticed independently that she exhibits many hallmark hypothyroid symptoms, but is not, nor has been on any medication or treatment plan for it. I was wondering if maybe the two were related. Any thoughts or leads on this? Would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction!
You don't specify if she eventually gets adapted to the high altitude and how long does it take.

It is absolutely normal to get dizzy, nausea and headache if going from sea level to +3000/3500 meters quickly.

Phaedrus

Peat has said those hallmarks of altitude sickness are caused by a lack of CO2 retention, not necessarily a lack of oxygen. Acetazolamide (brand name Diamox) works to alleviate altitude sickness by increasing CO2 retention. I’ve used it personally when staying at 8,000+ feet elevation and it works well.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I feel like death at high altitude. My heart starts to flutter too. My buteyko score (forgot the name) is low. I've been working on improving it. I can tell you, the worst my thyroid is, the least I can tolerate alts.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals