Sodium intake correlates positively with life expectancy and inversely with all-cause mortality

Pedigree

LadyRae

Hi - my first post here.
Generously salting my food has had big positive impact on my health (compared with history of thinking I needed to hold back on adding 'bad' salt to meals). Used to struggle with dizziness, low blood pressure - no issues now, my blood pressure is good. I also now have warm extremities and my mood feels solid and stable too, and I don't get stressed as easily as I used to. I don't know if these latter changes are due to increased salt - but I have a sense that they are.
Welcome!
Same! I liberally salt most of my food, I use a Himalayan sea salt. As far as water retention goes, my experience is the opposite of what they would have you think. Increasing my salt decreases any water retention... And I sleep better too

GreenPea

Welcome!
Same! I liberally salt most of my food, I use a Himalayan sea salt. As far as water retention goes, my experience is the opposite of what they would have you think. Increasing my salt decreases any water retention... And I sleep better too
Thanks!
Yes, I too have no probs with water retention. Unfortunately, my sleep is a different story and remains ongoing issue - despite experimenting with keeping salt/ sugar levels topped up etc

mamakitty

I put salt on everything, even in my coffee and in my milkshakes. Salt is a good anti-histamine too.
Haha same! But I have always done that because of taste preference nor for health reasons. I always salt my desserts too as I cannot stand overly sweet desserts bleh

Haha same! But I have always done that because of taste preference nor for health reasons. I always salt my desserts too as I cannot stand overly sweet desserts bleh
Same here, I never bought into the idea that salt was a bad thing. I got the idea from horses and their “salt blocks”. Like RP has said, veterinarians make better doctors.

mamakitty

Same here, I never bought into the idea that salt was a bad thing. I got the idea from horses and their “salt blocks”. Like RP has said, veterinarians make better doctors.
Veterinarian part is true because they stick to science and hard facts, not feelings and zeitgeist.

LadyRae

@LadyRae @Rinse & rePeat @GreenPea

How many grams of salt/day do you use? Thanks
Hi! Well I honestly don't measure it, I just sprinkle it (Himalayan pink salt) liberally on almost everything. A few times I can tell that I overdid it because when I go to bed at night I will feel a little puffy. A few times a week I wrap up my scrambled eggs in nori sheets and I eat a fair amount of shrimp and lots of oysters and liver and beef heart so I'm not too worried about the non-iodized aspect of the Himalayan salt.

A few times a week I take a couple drops of lugol's 2%.

I also stir in a half teaspoon of potassium bicarbonate into a few drinks throughout the day. Even though I eat a lot of fruit I found that this feels really good in my system

Peatress

Hi! Well I honestly don't measure it, I just sprinkle it (Himalayan pink salt) liberally on almost everything. A few times I can tell that I overdid it because when I go to bed at night I will feel a little puffy. A few times a week I wrap up my scrambled eggs in nori sheets and I eat a fair amount of shrimp and lots of oysters and liver and beef heart so I'm not too worried about the non-iodized aspect of the Himalayan salt.

A few times a week I take a couple drops of lugol's 2%.

I also stir in a half teaspoon of potassium bicarbonate into a few drinks throughout the day. Even though I eat a lot of fruit I found that this feels really good in my system
OK thanks. Doesn't that much potassium bicarbonate make your urine too alkaline?

GTW

The graphs go only to 6 gms sodium per day, which is, in fact, near the sweet spot in the U curve other analyses found to be optimum.
Both published editorial comments point out the pitfalls of the study.
Blood pressure has a stronger association with longevity, and sodium is often used as a proxy for blood pressure, in turn a proxy for longevity/overall health.
There is no conceivable endorsement here for intake greater than 6 gm Na.

GTW

In a swarm of variables and associations, many difficult to measure, I think K/Na consumption is a stronger predictor of health.

Peatress

The graphs go only to 6 gms sodium per day, which is, in fact, near the sweet spot in the U curve other analyses found to be optimum.
Both published editorial comments point out the pitfalls of the study.
Blood pressure has a stronger association with longevity, and sodium is often used as a proxy for blood pressure, in turn a proxy for longevity/overall health.
There is no conceivable endorsement here for intake greater than 6 gm Na.
@45 mins Dr Peat says giving women with toxemia an extra 20 grams of salt per day resolved their issues in pregnancy. 20 grams is a lot of salt.

GTW

1 tsp salt is roughly 5 gm. Salt is roughly half Na?
In any case, treatment for pregnancy toxemia is hardly the norm.
>Dose, host, timing and combinations make a poison or a cure. As Paracelsus identified 500 years ago, the basis of toxicology.

Peatress

1 tsp salt is roughly 5 gm. Salt is roughly half Na?
In any case, treatment for pregnancy toxemia is hardly the norm.
>Dose, host, timing and combinations make a poison or a cure. As Paracelsus identified 500 years ago, the basis of toxicology.
You are right, it is not the norm but remember the question was about a young person who was having fluid pooling in the feet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals