Unscratchable itch on my back and chest. Nerve damage? What can I do?

I have an unscratchable itch underneath my skin on the left side of my back, and it's sort of mirrored under my left pectoral. It's been 2 days now and it sort of comes and goes, but it's insanely frustrating when it's happening. I've read into something called notalgia paresthetica but I have a feeling that is constant and supposedly much more intense.

I did some weightlifting a couple of days ago; didn't feel any strain or spinal pain but it's the only thing I can think might have damaged something.

Does anyone have any experience or offer any advice?

Last edited:

Beastmode

I have an unscratchable itch underneath my skin on the left side of my back, and it's sort of mirrored under my left pectoral. It's been 2 days now and it sort of comes and goes, but it's insanely frustrating when it's happening. I've read into something called notalgia paresthetica but I have a feeling that is constant and supposedly much more intense.

I did some weightlifting a couple of days ago; didn't feel any strain or spinal pain but it's the only thing I can think might have damaged something.

Does anyone have any experience or offer any advice?
Intercostal nerves could be "irritated."

Keeping inflammation down with non irritating movement, possibly positioning yourself where the area is expanded, and using breath to move through the area. If a specific line of tissue along a bundle of muscles (i.e- pecs) hit their threshold of load, there can be an irritation of the nerves that innervate that line of tissue.

Direct sunlight on the region can always be helpful. All the typical Peat stuff in regards to foods and supplements should all contribute.

Not sure if this is what's going on, but doing all the above will only facilitate a parasympathetic response in that region if you take it as an all day approach and not a "do it one time, it should be better by now" kind.

OP
T
Intercostal nerves could be "irritated."

Keeping inflammation down with non irritating movement, possibly positioning yourself where the area is expanded, and using breath to move through the area. If a specific line of tissue along a bundle of muscles (i.e- pecs) hit their threshold of load, there can be an irritation of the nerves that innervate that line of tissue.

Direct sunlight on the region can always be helpful. All the typical Peat stuff in regards to foods and supplements should all contribute.

Not sure if this is what's going on, but doing all the above will only facilitate a parasympathetic response in that region if you take it as an all day approach and not a "do it one time, it should be better by now" kind.
Thanks very much. I had read about irritated nerves causing pain, but not itching. I'll implement your advice aned keep my fingers crossed.

Dave Clark

A lot people experiencing these itches are dealing with eczema. Since eczema can be caused by auto-immune, allergy, and other body reactions, many people in the modern world are now having this when they never had before. So, if your itch is accompanied by a redness or rash, etc., it could be eczema.

Barliman

Irritated trigger pointsin the muscles often cause this sort of paattern- especially in the neck, back or chest. A therapeutic massage may be useful at least in the short term for diagnostic purposes. In the longer term look for the book "Trigger Point Therapy" for advice on how to DIY

Blossom

Forum Supporter
One possibility that comes to mind is shingles. It used to be mainly in people over 50 but has been recently showing up in younger people. My daughter had it in her 20’s and my husband in his early 40’s. I’d read about it and see what you think.

Lilac

Ray has said itching is akin to pain. I often find that idea useful.

My gut would tell me the weightlifting had something to do with the itch.

Maybe some gentle massage to get blood flowing in that area.

Zoltanman

Try topical progesten (idealabs) and see if it helps. I get internal under skin itches that make me feel like I'll scratch through my skin to get to them, and this has worked every time without fail for more than 18 months.

It's got to be 160 times now with zero failure rate. Less than ten minutes for relief every time.

Dave Clark

A lot people experiencing these itches are dealing with eczema. Since eczema can be caused by auto-immune, allergy, and other body reactions, many people in the modern world are now having this when they never had before. So, if your itch is accompanied by a redness or rash, etc., it could be eczema.
Also, another source of itch to consider, is fungal infection which could be systemic candida albicans. Many people today are dealing with fungal infections from everything from bad diet, antibiotics, leaky gut, mercury toxicity, etc. These systemic infections can come out at different areas of the body, and not necessarily show signs on the skin, i.e. anal itch, under arm itch, back itch, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals