Vinegar and its effect on Visceral Fat (aka VAT)

David PS

This effect not limited to pomegranate vinegar. I think it has a better flavor than apple cider vinegar. I chose this study because of its visual display of information/results.
Pomegranate vinegar beverage reduces visceral fat accumulation in association with AMPK activation in overweight women: A double-blind, randomized, and placebo-controlled trial
Recent studies on animals have suggested that vinegar consumption may confer an anti obesity effect through the activation of the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) signaling pathway. However, mechanisms of action in humans remain largely unknown. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was performed to examine whether a pomegranate vinegar (PV) beverage alleviates adiposity in overweight subjects, with emphasis on AMPK activation. Seventy-eight overweight women (BMI ≥ 25) were randomly assigned to receive either PV (1.5 g acetic acid and 700 μg ellagic acid/200 mL/day) or a placebo for8 weeks. The PV reduced visceral adipose tissue, as measured by computed tomography(P = 0.037), and enhanced AMPK phosphorylation (P = 0.013) compared with the placebo group. The PV tended to suppress downstream gene expression, such as that of sterol regulatory element binding protein-1c and acetyl coenzyme carboxylase, in adipose tissue. Together, these data suggest that PV is an excellent AMPK activator and may exert beneficial effects on adiposity.

1690900378501.png
Click on the image to enlarge.

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

Other methods to reduce visceral fat that are mentioned on the forum include the following (in no special order):

Dapose

Forum Supporter
Fun and interesting post!
My favorite is Umboshi Vinegar! It’s so salty yummy! Japanese Ume Plums. Do you think that would lower V fat via these mechanisms?
I put it on my oysters!

Also I think Sprinting 30 seconds running as hard as you can is alleged to reduce visceral fat.

RealNeat

I think one of the most unjoyable ways to consume vinegar is in oxymel Herbal Oxymel Recipes & Benefits

and though it may go against the cause consuming olive oil and vinegar with fresh baked sourdough with a sprinkle of parmesian reg is heaven

OP
David PS

David PS

Fun and interesting post!
My favorite is Umboshi Vinegar! It’s so salty yummy! Japanese Ume Plums. Do you think that would lower V fat via these mechanisms?
I put it on my oysters!
I think that it is the acetic acid that is responsible for the effect on VAT. So I expect that any vinegar will do the trick. The phenolic content of the fruit used survives the fermentation process and it has other effects. Enjoy your favorite vinegar.

Vinegar Intake Reduces Body Weight, Body Fat Mass,and Serum Triglyceride Levels in Obese Japanese Subjects
Also I think Sprinting 30 seconds running as hard as you can is alleged to reduce visceral fat.
Yes and HIT training as well. I am avoiding stressful exercise. Vinegar is a way to work around the stressful exercise.

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

New vinegar produced by tomato suppresses adipocyte differentiation and fat accumulation in 3T3-L1 cells and obese rat model
There is an increasing surplus of tomatoes that are abandoned due to their failure to meet customer standards. Therefore, to allow both value additions and the effective reuse of surplus tomatoes, we developed tomato vinegar (TV) containing phytochemicals and evaluated its anti-obesity effects in vitro and in vivo.TV inhibited adipocyte differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocyte and lipid accumulation during differentiation. TV supplementation in rats fed a high-fat diet (HFD) markedly decreased visceral fat weights without changing the food and calories intakes. TV significantly decreased hepatic triglyceride and cholesterol levels compared to the HFD group. Furthermore, TV lowered plasma LDL-cholesterol level and antherogenic index compared to the HFD group, whereas elevated HDL-cholesterol to total cholesterol ratio. These results show that TV prevented obesity by suppressing visceral fat and lipid accumulation in adipocyte and obese rats, and suggest that TV can be used as an anti-obesity therapeutic agent or functional food. 2013

OP
David PS

David PS

Beneficial effects of Apple Cider Vinegar on weight management, Visceral Adiposity Index and lipid profile in overweight or obese subjects receiving restricted calorie diet: A randomized clinical trial
A randomized, clinical trial was performed to examine whether Apple cider vinegar (ACV) can result in dietary modifications that provides beneficial effects on the management of body weight and serum metabolic profiles in overweight or obese individuals. The participants (n = 39) were randomly allocated into the ACV (subjected to a restricted calorie diet (RCD) with 250 kcal/day energy deficit and 30 mL/d of ACV)) or the control group (RCDonly) for 12 weeks. The ACV significantly reduced body weight, BMI, Hip circumference, visceral adiposity index(VAI) and appetite score (P ≤ 0.00). Furthermore, Plasma triglyceride (TG) and total cholesterol (TC) levels significantly decreased and high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) concentration significantly increased in the ACV group in comparison to the control group (P ≤ 0.05). Thus, ACV along with RCD can be considered as an effective strategy for reducing anthropometric parameters, TG and TC level, VAI, appetite and increasing HDL-C concentration in overweight or obese individuals.

Sphagnum

So those spam ads at the bottom of many web pages telling us to take acv to drop belly fat aren’t full of it? Surprising to say the least.

OP
David PS

David PS

So those spam ads at the bottom of many web pages telling us to take acv to drop belly fat aren’t full of it? Surprising to say the least.
I think that it correct. Looking at the Figure 2 (see original post above), the reduction in total fat mass after 8 weeks was not that great. There was a larger reduction in VAT which seemed to be partially offset by an increase in SAT (saturated adipose tissue).

It can be complicated to determine if the vinegar is helpful. I have a relatively inexpensive biometric scale which measures VAT and subcutaneous fat among other things. I got mine at Amazon.com several years ago. I may do an N=1 experiment on myself in September after I am back from holiday. My body fat is 11.6% and my VAT is 4. So I do not have any urgency.

Here is a link to the full text of the study which I did not originally post. Oops!

Ismail

I think that it is the acetic acid that is responsible for the effect on VAT. So I expect that any vinegar will do the trick. The phenolic content of the fruit used survives the fermentation process and it has other effects. Enjoy your favorite vinegar.

Vinegar Intake Reduces Body Weight, Body Fat Mass,and Serum Triglyceride Levels in Obese Japanese Subjects

Yes and HIT training as well. I am avoiding stressful exercise. Vinegar is a way to work around the stressful exercise.

View: https://youtu.be/EUf9Ir3mNUk?si=0AssvTllAwvlrRul

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals