What Do Skinny People Eat?

redsun

I am lean to the point of looking like a greek sculpture without trying
And i am hypo
So is that good?

If you have chronic low body temps then you may be hypo. But if you control calorie intake then its not actually lean without trying. So if you were to not think about food intake and eat to appetite and still are very lean that means naturally lean.

Ableton

If you have chronic low body temps then you may be hypo. And if you control calorie intake then its not actually lean without trying. So if you were to not think about food intake and eat to appetite and still are very lean that means naturally lean.
I was like this before controlling anything and am still like this since peating and cronometer
So yes, i am naturally lean and athletic, but not healthy

redsun

I was like this before controlling anything and am still like this since peating and cronometer
So yes, i am naturally lean and athletic, but not healthy

What are your normal body temps? Like during the day?

Ableton

I have improved my daytime temps up to 37 degrees on peat
They recently dropped during a high fat experiment with which I also gained significant weight for the first time (positive)
I am trying to get back to baseline now and lowered fat intake again

problem is waking temps: 36 degrees which points towards hypothyroidism
Peat did not help (yet) in that regard

I feel best on 4k cal low fat (no weight gain)

before peat daytime temps were like 36,5
Tsh measured at 4,5 before peat

Minimal

We resist. We're disciplined. We don’t eat something just because it tastes good if we know it’s bad for us. And yes, we do eat breakfast.

redsun

I have improved my daytime temps up to 37 degrees on peat
They recently dropped during a high fat experiment with which I also gained significant weight for the first time (positive)
I am trying to get back to baseline now and lowered fat intake again

problem is waking temps: 36 degrees which points towards hypothyroidism
Peat did not help (yet) in that regard

before peat daytime temps were like 36,5
Tsh measured at 4,5 before peat

If you currently have day time temps of 37 degrees (not including the high fat diet experiment) then that indicates thyroid is good. Morning temps are not that important but if the morning temps seem extra low does not mean hypothyroid it just means you are likely burning through fuel too quickly by the time you wake making temps drop because of stress hormones. Doesnt mean low thyroid.

You can have health problems with normal thyroid.

Ableton

If you currently have day time temps of 37 degrees (not including the high fat diet experiment) then that indicates thyroid is good. Morning temps are not that important but if the morning temps seem extra low does not mean hypothyroid it just means you are likely burning through fuel too quickly by the time you wake making temps drop because of stress hormones. Doesnt mean low thyroid.

You can have health problems with normal thyroid.
I wouldn’t say constantly having to eat sugar to barely scratch 37 degrees daytime, TSH of 4,5 and feeling like absolute ***t every morning indicates good thyroid function

redsun

I wouldn’t say constantly having to eat sugar to barely scratch 37 degrees daytime, TSH of 4,5 and feeling like absolute ***t every morning indicates good thyroid function

Normal thyroid function for sure. Probably not OPTIMAL but few have that. You said TSH was 4.5 before Peat. What about now?

You can feel like ***t in the morning for a myriad of reasons not thyroid related. Basically you have problems waking up aware and awake with energy like the vast majority of people. If you consume caffeine in the mornings that alone would do it because your sympathetic nervous system is trained to depend on coffee to wake up. That's just one example but I dont know if you consume caffeine.

redsun

Overeating carbs is probably helping to compensate for low cortisol.

D

Deleted member 5487

Well I'm shredded with a ton of muscle.

Breakfast Golden Potatos/Peas and some mango+Coffee
Lunch Golden Potatos/Veggies/Peas/OJ+Coffee
Dinner Fatty Red Meat, Large salad/Lightly cooked Veggies, Gelatin.

I'm not gonna try to explain the science of circadian insulin sensitivity and Potentional Renal Acid Load.

This is how you get fat
"The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid"

"Acid-base balance in the body influences adrenal hormone production of cortisol. When bicarbonate [HCO3- levels are low, the kidneys upregulate glutaminase activity and trigger cortisol production [35-37]." "Dietary induction of acidosis increases serum cortisol concentrations [38]."

"Cortisol activates the tryptophan metabolism pathway which is carried out by rate-limiting enzymes of tryptophan catabolism, 2,3-dioxygenase (TDO) and indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase (IDO). Cortisol directly stimulates TDO activation and may augment IDO activity indirectly through inflammatory cytokine signaling such as interferon gamma [49,50]. Excessive or chronic cortisol production acquired from a ‘Western’ dietary lifestyle could play a role in augmenting the tryptophan metabolism pathway and drive downstream molecular events that promote carcinogenesis."

"
Upregulated cortisol bioactivity driven by diet-induced acidosis may be a factor in metabolic syndrome by promoting insulin resistance. Chronic hyperglucocorticoidism upregulates visceral obesity while reducing insulin sensitivity mainly in visceral adipocytes which appear to be more responsive to cortisol than subcutaneous adipocytes due to higher expression levels of glucocorticoid receptors [58,59].""

gaze

You realize you are painting it as if lean always equals low thyroid whether your athletic or not. Naturally lean without trying (eat to appetite, not orthorexic) is a good thing, and I would actually say points to a good thyroid. If you are lean to the point of being underweight, that points to hyperthyroid and/or excess brain histamine.

I can attest that I was chronically underweight and had major histamine issues looking back all my childhood

GreekDemiGod

I am lean to the point of looking like a greek sculpture without trying
And i am hypo
So is that good?
Do you hold on to muscle easily? Do you put on muscle easily? Do you naturally carry a bit of muscle mass even when not lifting? That is great to have of course, ectomorph is bad, mesomorph is much better.

redsun

I can attest that I was chronically underweight and had major histamine issues looking back all my childhood

Yeh the two are linked. And there's of course the opposite case, low histamine levels increase the tendency to be overweight and obese.

Ableton

Do you hold on to muscle easily? Do you put on muscle easily? Do you naturally carry a bit of muscle mass even when not lifting? That is great to have of course, ectomorph is bad, mesomorph is much better.
yes; except maybe putting on muscle; that might be average, since I am low bf
I look better/more defined/not as "blocky" as 99% of people I see
some guys who are 5-10 years younger work their **** of and do not achieve this
I basically have the body of a professional soccer player (visually, anyways) while maybe working out 3-4 hours a week (maybe 1 hour running, 1 hour stretching, 2 hours lifting)

inurendotoxin

The answer you are looking for probably doesn't exist. I believe there is individuality to take into account.

Also lean is by no mean the equivalent of healthy.

Agree on both points. Individuality is the wildest variable.

We resist. We're disciplined. We don’t eat something just because it tastes good if we know it’s bad for us. And yes, we do eat breakfast.

Disagree. People are a wide spectrum of different body compositions for a tangled webtard of reasons...I don't think there can be a distinguishable "We" to claim in this context. Genetics, environment metabolic health, and personal habits and preferences will all play a role.

BUT anecdotally... I myself maintain a lean/skinny physique (31yo Male, 5'8", 130 lbs) but breakfast has always been important (albeit incidental to the point above).

I was musing on this yesterday being 4 years into my metabolic struggle. I was naturally skinny growing up *until* I screwed up metabolism through a series of rapid fatloss diets starting 2016.

So "What did I used to eat?" is just an interesting question to ask...

Plugged in a few standard days from my reckless youth into My Fitness Pal and...the short answer is: Anything and everything, over 4-5 snack-size meals, to an average of around 2100 kcals per day.

(Aside: Have also been a keen coffee drinker from an early age. I can't help but speculate that probably helped. I have probably averaged around 400 mg caffeine per day since my late teens. )

That said, I think the most important factor was having a functional (non-emotional) relationship with food. I used to just eat for cost, and convenience, and to satiation, with (admittedly) a trend toward 'healthier' choices just 'cause they were generally the cheapest (eg, the Tuna sandwich vs the 12" pizza).

4 years and several waves of orthorexia later, and now I have to track everything to control for emotional eating, and keep my weight from climbing up above (my subjective definition of ) an acceptable 'range' .

Having said that I knew guys who could eat burger and fries every day and never gain weight.
And for myself, cookies and ice cream would be a daily occurrence, apparently without consequence.

My TLDR/Working hypothesis; if metabolism is uncompromised (ie, the metabolism of youth...pre-PUFA accumulation and environmental stressors etc), then body will happily fix and maintain it's 'set point' at whatever amount you generally feed it. If you suddenly start over or underfeeding it, it's gonna go apeshit and mal-adapt in one way or another.

Arnold Grape

• Cottage cheese with fruit (blackberries; raspberries; blueberries, etc.); black coffee and sugar to taste
  • Scramble on yellow masa tortilla made with butter and coconut oil (sometimes liverwurst or steak on the side); sometimes micro green arugula on top
  • Carrots, vinegar, coconut oil, salt between morning meals
  • Bone broth, with some type of protein at lunch (usually grass fed beef); Boulder Canyon Chips made with coconut oil and vinegar (sometimes white rice)
  • Date rolls and 2% milk as a snack
  • Dinner is protein and starch, occasionally chicken
  • Milk with Casein powder; cherries, Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate (sometimes ice cream), sometimes date rolls before bed
If I am feeling bloated, I will substitute juice or fruit in lieu of a starch like tortillas. Mostly eat to satiated, but sometimes eat a lot. Atm, in quarantine, virtually zero exercise, save for occasional long walks. Currently on Cypro. Aspirin will ramp your metabolism in minuscule doses. A little coconut oil goes a long way. 6’4/ 180.

Jing

BUT anecdotally... I myself maintain a lean/skinny physique (31yo Male, 5'8", 130 lbs) but breakfast has always been important (albeit incidental to the point above).
Don't want to be rude but 5ft8 130 pounds doesn't class as lean it's skinny. Lean would be muscular with low bodyfat .

D

Deleted member 5487

Do you eat a large quantity of potatoes /peas if I may ask @Amarsh213 ?

Yeah. Now I do. My Testosterone might have doubled or tripped since. Not even kidding

Ray Peat: Vegetables, etc.—Who Defines Food?
"Generally, fruits, roots, and tubers provide a high concentration of nutrients along with low concentrations of toxic antimetabolic substances.

While nutritional reference tables often show fruits and potatoes as having about 2% protein content, while nuts, grains, and legumes are shown with a high protein content, often in the range of 15% to 40%, they neglect to point out that fruits and potatoes have a very high water content, while that of the seeds is extremely low. The protein content of milk is about 3%, which according to the charts would suggest that it is inferior to beans and grains. In fact, the protein value of grain is negligible, mainly because seeds contain their protein in a storage form, that is extremely rich in nitrogen, but poor in essential amino acids. Special preparation is needed to reduce the toxicity of seeds, and in the case of beans, these methods are never very satisfactory."- RP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WITHOUT Question I feel substantially better after some non salted potatoes and a bit of fruit for dessert, then I do after any kind of protein from milk, to meat, to eggs. Only after 2-3 consecutive meals without protein do I feel some desire to eat meat, then I do.

Now ONLY if I would have listen to this guy 2.5 years ago!!! Damn
Private message
upload_2020-7-1_16-23-31.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals