What Helps Reduce Smoking ?

Frankdee20

I am not a heavy smoker, and will often take a few drags and throw the rest away. I average about 7-9 a day, American Spirits mostly. If I am binge drinking, then obviosly more. It has only been about 2-3 years now since I started, and I am 39. I do not want to Vape and occasionally smoke, because one cannot know how much Nicotine they're consuming. What is my best bet here, Bupropion ? That can cause bad insomnia and anxiety though. Is this a low Dopamine issue ? I just like the ritual of lighting it, and the taste, and inhaling smoke.

Makrosky

Not only dopamine man.

Acetylcholine also and aromatase inhibition.

People say tabex works.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Not only dopamine man.

Acetylcholine also and aromatase inhibition.

People say tabex works.

It is interesting because although smoking can increase acetylcholine, I do not like the effect of high choline. It causes depression.

lampofred

I think high estrogen and high serotonin lead to cigarette craving. Gelatin, niacinamide, thyroid, aspirin, progesterone all should help reduce cravings, but not coffee. Substances that are both stimulating and relaxing at the same time are your best bet imo, which is why coffee might not help even though it is pro-thyroid. Avoiding milk for a bit may also help.

miki14

I smoke tobacco in a small glass pipe. I find the smell of burned paper very unpleasent. Smoking a pipe reduces the convenience of filter cigarettes.

Smoking provides CO2, increases androgens, aromatase inhibitors, antibacterial action. This might give you ideas how to decrease the need to grab a cig, not promoting tobacco use. Reducing stress & increasing exposer to sun helps me the most.

tankasnowgod

I am not a heavy smoker, and will often take a few drags and throw the rest away. I average about 7-9 a day, American Spirits mostly. If I am binge drinking, then obviosly more. It has only been about 2-3 years now since I started, and I am 39. I do not want to Vape and occasionally smoke, because one cannot know how much Nicotine they're consuming. What is my best bet here, Bupropion ? That can cause bad insomnia and anxiety though. Is this a low Dopamine issue ? I just like the ritual of lighting it, and the taste, and inhaling smoke.

Bromocriptine also works- Bromocriptine reduces cigarette smoking. - PubMed - NCBI
This study also showed that dopamine antagonists will increase smoking- Modulating tobacco smoking rates by dopaminergic stimulation and blockade. - PubMed - NCBI

These seem to suggest that all dopamine agonists may have a similar effect (if you want to try something like lisuride or metergoline). You could always try other ways of raising dopamine too, like the BCAA plus tyrosine/phenylanaline idea.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Bupropion is interesting because it blocks nicotine receptors

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Bromocriptine leads to DAWS

DrJ

When I started to take pregnenolone my desire to smoke went away almost immediately. Like just lost all desire for it. I think also helps to recognize that smoking is a response to stress of some sort, identifying the stress, and removing if possible.

Makrosky

Frank, have you checked tabex?

People has normally good luck with it to quit smoking. 20 days and you are out. But it requires a minimum of effort it ks not 100% automatic.

Stay away from the big pharma version "champix" its a scam.

SOMO

Frank, have you checked tabex?

People has normally good luck with it to quit smoking. 20 days and you are out. But it requires a minimum of effort it ks not 100% automatic.

Stay away from the big pharma version "champix" its a scam.
This.

I do think Wellbutrin is worth a try temporarily. It helped one individual I know quit Cold Turkey after years of smoking a pack a day.

Wellbutrin is officially an Adrenaline-inhibitor, but is also technically a CNS stimulant which is strange because it also inhibits Dopamine.
Wellbutrin is not an SSRI, but it can help people quit their smoking MENTALITY.

It has some caffeine-like effects and feels like a non-drowsy nootropic. I don't think it should be taken long term, but many who quit smoking because of the drug continue to abstain from nicotine and/or cigarettes even after quitting the drug.

It is considered "inferior" than Chantix, because it's less toxic.

Ultimately self control would be better (and healthier) for quitting cigarettes, but drug addiction of any sort is crippling and self-control is not always an option.

brocktoon

This.

I do think Wellbutrin is worth a try temporarily. It helped one individual I know quit Cold Turkey after years of smoking a pack a day.

Wellbutrin is officially an Adrenaline-inhibitor, but is also technically a CNS stimulant which is strange because it also inhibits Dopamine.

It has some caffeine-like effects and feels like a non-drowsy nootropic. I don't think it should be taken long term, but many who quit smoking because of the drug continue to abstain from nicotine and/or cigarettes even after quitting the drug.

Ultimately self control would be better (and healthier) for quitting cigarettes, but drug addiction of any sort is crippling and self-control is not always an option.
Frank, Welbutrin definitely helped me quit smoking. I smoked about 6 a day for 15 years, so no, I wasn't a hardcore smoker. But it was a part of my daily routine that I feared would catch up to me as I got older and less invulnerable. I worked up to 300mg extended release Welbutrin per day. You can go up to 450mg. I tapered off smokes within a couple of weeks, stayed with it for another toughish 2-3 weeks, and have gone smokeless for a year now. Stopped the Welbutrin after 6 months.

Beefcake

Start using snus. It’s a scandinavian type of tobacco its awesome. You put it up your lip and let it sit there in a little bag and you get nicotine. I completely stopped smoking and only snus now. Its a great way to get nicotine without the harmful soot. And it feels much better.

brocktoon

Start using snus. It’s a scandinavian type of tobacco its awesome. You put it up your lip and let it sit there in a little bag and you get nicotine. I completely stopped smoking and only snus now. Its a great way to get nicotine without the harmful soot. And it feels much better.
Oral cancer.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

This.

Wellbutrin blocks Nicotinic Acetylcholine receptors. Unlike Chantix, and Tabix, which are agonists. Wellbutrin also makes the taste of smoking shitty. It is primarily a Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, and blocks the dopamine transporter to a lesser extent. Has zero affinity for serotonin.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Wellbutrin blocks Nicotinic Acetylcholine receptors. Unlike Chantix, and Tabix, which are agonists. Wellbutrin also makes the taste of smoking shitty.
Frank, Welbutrin definitely helped me quit smoking. I smoked about 6 a day for 15 years, so no, I wasn't a hardcore smoker. But it was a part of my daily routine that I feared would catch up to me as I got older and less invulnerable. I worked up to 300mg extended release Welbutrin per day. You can go up to 450mg. I tapered off smokes within a couple of weeks, stayed with it for another toughish 2-3 weeks, and have gone smokeless for a year now. Stopped the Welbutrin after 6 months.

Any withdrawal symptoms from wellbutrin ? Or rebound depression ? It is basically a substituted cathinone.

biggirlkisss

he antidepressant nortriptyline (Pamelor or Aventyl) is not FDA-approved for smoking cessation, but it, too, has shown results similar to bupropion in some studies.

there was one I can't spell it really helped my friends friend stop smoking then he want back and got off. Maybe give it a shot and get a vape

Beefcake

Oral cancer.

Never heard of anyone die from oral cancer. Never heard anyone here in sweden or rest of scandinavia even get oral cancer and theres probably equally many snusers as smokers here. I don’t believe its the tobacco and nicotine that causes for example lung cancer. Its the inhalation of combusted chemicals and other additives. Its how you use a substance that makes it more or less dangerous. An example is IV drugs like heroin is more dangerous than if you would had taken it orally. You can snort cocaine and also take it orally. Some people smoke it as crack and then it gets even more dangerous. Maybe its a bad parallel but you get my point. Doubt nicotine gum or patches are as harmful as smoking. Just as smoking organic pure tobacco cigarettes are probably safer than smoking ciggs filled with chemicals

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals