What If

pboy

What if 'scientific reasearch' was relabeled, regurgitation by people who are full of it, or marketing voodoo....then what? If you honestly had to forget any kind of bs about molecules, and hormones, and various organs, and all that...dna, ect, and just based things on intuition, knowledge, care during process, palatability, enjoyability, and after affect, and focused more on the real things in life such as the people your around, the life cycle of plants, how fire and electricity work, how waves are transmitted and interpreted, how to protect from the weathers, and stuff like that

because that's how it actually is. I can't think of one instance where any 'nutritional science' has ever helped anyone. Everyone who goes to a doctor, or scientist for anything other than emergency would sealing or stabilizing, which isn't really that scientific anyways, ends up neutral or worse over time, and ends up laundering their energy towards them through what they buy and think

I bid ado

if nothing else look at the appearance, aura, and attitude of the people you apparently take advice from...are they healthy, happy, or have a loving attitude
towards life and people? Would they really make things better on a whole level, or continuously find something to combat?

pranarupa

What the heck is wrong with you?! :smack

Why is this posted in the Ray Peat debate section, its basically in agreement with Ray?
:)

I agree with you, I think its possible to go about the generation and discovery of knowledge in an entirely other way to the current ridiculous "science". One based on direct perception and deep attention to our own incarnation and the world we inhabit, the obviousness of this proposition is of course obscured by the stupid conventions of contemporary "biology", membrane pumps being a prime example, especially how these mechanical membranes supposedly facilitate the fine sensitivity of nerve function, it couldn't get much more stupid, although genetic determinism comes close to being as ridiculous.

jaa

Nutritional science has definitely helped me. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can imagine a lot of fictional scenarios in which it would help others.

Intuition is good, depending on where you're at in life. But for a lot of people, their intuition is why they're experiencing the health problems they are. I agree with a lot of what you say, but I'd argue it works best on people that have run the nutrition gambit so to speak, and are aware of a lot of the various philosophies and ideas, and, more importantly, are aware of their own bodies and how various foods make them feel. It reminds me of Bruce Lee's 3 stages of cultivation I read on reddit the other day:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ZenHabits/comme ... ltivation/

OP
P

pboy

yea for sure, intuition must be coupled with or driven by knowledge and experience. I think when we talk of hormones and things, we are pointing to feelings and states of being that everyone can relate to whether or not they actually know what a hormone is. Communication is awesome and helpful, it would do us all good to remember that we're really referring to feelings and states of being, emotions, and the molecules or neurotransmitters are words as of with which to communicate about. Speaking of things in Chinese terms is totally different, yet pointing to the same states and feelings, and just as helpful and relevant

gretchen

Now come on Pboy, your're young (I'm assuming) and are just starting out on your journey. Now is no time to give up. You seem to be very insightful; it would be a loss to lose you.

You make some good points. Science and medicine (as it is widely "practiced" today) doesn't help a lot of people, true. It would be great if we could all just get back to a natural rhythm of living and focus on what you say "matters" most (relationships, enjoyability, life); but the problem is, we've already tried this the last few decades and it hasn't worked. The idea that health and life should be "simple" (real foods, exercise, just take some supps) is already out there. If it works, why aren't most people doing better?

LIkewise, focusing on natural/survivalistic things (fire, weather, electricity) things also doesn't seem to solve anything. We for the most part have already know about these things, and further study it seems at this point is (somewhat) redundant.

Years ago I too would have said consider the source, from the outer perspective of looking more at the person's outsides and appearance than their credentials, expertise or actual work.... Just look at virtually all the mainstream dispensers of advice, people like Gwyneth Paltrow, Oprah, Deepak Chopra, or the Paleo Possee (Marks Sisson et al :D) . They are in most cases nothing more than well-groomed thugs who could not care less about you or your well-being. It's all about $$ pboy. I would much rather listen to someone like Ray, with his shock of hair, reddened skin and raspy voice.

Having no quibble with anything is what a lot of people chalk up as being chill and a sign that now, everything is OK. All better and soothed and we can tuck our little Know Nothing selves in to bed and rest for a good night! A lack of conflict isn't possible in the so-called "real world"; life continually presents problems of one sort or another. It's not unreasonable as Peat says to expect that we be willing to engage with those issues...

If this is what you think will really help you, you have my blessing. But we will miss you and hope you will be OK. Be careful; always think twice and be sure you read the fine print.

It's cheesy, but it makes me think of the 1990s Wilson Phillips song Hold On.
[BBvideo 560,340:3q96s5ie]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbXvaE39wM[/BBvideo]

I hope no one ever makes you cry.

OP
P

pboy

thanks much Gretchen that's awesome

I am highly appreciative of Ray Peat and everyone here, for helping me at a crucial time in my life, bringing me to my senses, giving encouragement, and to those hosting these forums as a substrate to communicate with other people with open minds and hearts in most cases...I honestly am in gratitude to everyone here, all the small things, simple discussion about real struggles and real things. The essence of protecting metabolism and thyroid to me ended up translating as protecting your own integrity, sense of hope, and personal expression and assertiveness if need be, to not settle for feeling trapped, and to powerfully express honesty and truth even against social norms and odds, the status quo, to not settle for less than feeling good...protection of the voice box, and inner shield of hope. Ray is awesome and clearly has good intentions, as can be sensed through his work and interviews

Maybe I'm just too proud to trust the medical community or science community, based on what they've said and done to myself in the past, my family, and many others today that I know and speak to...I just want to do my best to make people feel good and be real...and I guess I'm more comfortable with speaking in more of a way that transcends any one doctrine, so that it might be understandable to people even with no scientific knowledge

if nothing else look at the appearance, aura, and attitude of the people you apparently take advice from...are they healthy, happy, or have a loving attitude
towards life and people? Would they really make things better on a whole level, or continuously find something to combat?

"I think it's very important to have a feedback loop, where you're constantly thinking about what you've done and how you could be doing it better. I think that's the single best piece of advice: constantly think about how you could be doing things better and questioning yourself." - Elon Musk

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals