What Is The Best Last Meal To Sleep Trough The Night?

Trude

i go to bed around midnight and wake up around 5-6 am to pee and then wake up every hour to about 10 am when i cant sleep anymore still dead tired.

i tried milk and honey and raw carrot, i did sleep too 7 am last night so that's new, but i have to quit with milk since i cant tolerate it that good.

around 9-10 am i will eat my last meal, normally i eat about 200g of ground beef, bone broth, 2 dates, 1 fruit and a glass of orange juice., sometimes some potato or sweet potato. will also get a glass of orange juice and half a raw carrot around 11 pm.

should i change something?

Bluemachine

my go to has been cheese and orange juice recently couldn't tell you why it works for me but that's what i crave. i think ray has said fats are better eaten later in the day and protein earlier and that seems synonamous whith my experience. when i used to eat beef just before bed i would crash real nice (protein digestion lowering blood sugar?) but then wake up groggy and stressed

OP
T

Trude

my go to has been cheese and orange juice recently couldn't tell you why it works for me but that's what i crave. i think ray has said fats are better eaten later in the day and protein earlier and that seems synonamous whith my experience. when i used to eat beef just before bed i would crash real nice (protein digestion lowering blood sugar?) but then wake up groggy and stressed

will try higher fat, just can't have cheese, not sure what to have then.

boris

Raw carrot before bed will drop my blood sugar and wake me up in the night. Could be worth experimenting if it has an effect on you.

OP
T

Trude

Raw carrot before bed will drop my blood sugar and wake me up in the night. Could be worth experimenting if it has an effect on you.
only been eating the raw carrot for a few days and have seen no difference.

Velve921

Ice cream + milk + dark chocolate has been my go to.

Ice cream is quite powerful for many people.

I've had insomnia problems on and off for years and generally tend to sleep poorly.

That being said, I've resolved this same issue you are asking about with high starch and high fat.

I know some will disagree here but eating sourdough with liberal amounts of butter;
some cereal with whole milk, pasta with cheese or butter sauce; something like this will ensure
that your meal is absorbed slowly over the course of 8 hours which usually can get you through most of the night.

I used to wake up hungry quite often or wake up with adrenaline rushes and this completely went away with a high starch, high fat meal at dinner.
Saturated fat seems to do a much better job than mono unsaturated fat.

And butter seems to be king. I hope you can tolerate butter ok?

Also, as an intersting aside, I've actually started losing some fat since eating this way.

Velve921

I wish i could have some ice cream, but dairy dosen't agree with me.

Have you tried parmigiano Reggiano cheese where there’s no lactose?

kalona milk where there’s no thickening agents?

hagen daz ice cream?

OP
T

Trude

Have you tried parmigiano Reggiano cheese where there’s no lactose?
Yes love it, but still react to it.
kalona milk where there’s no thickening agents?
Don't have that in my country

hagen daz ice cream?
Maybe i will try it on day.

Since i have hadde suddenly alot of carbs of different things im not quite sure what i react to for the moment. But will try some dairy again later.
I even get a bad after taste when i consume dairy, wonder what that means.

tara

i go to bed around midnight and wake up around 5-6 am to pee and then wake up every hour to about 10 am when i cant sleep anymore still dead tired.
I see you mentioned breathlessness in your other thread.
How's your breathing at night? Have you got a way to assess whether your mouth stays closed during sleep?
Chronic unaware hyperventilation can easily happen while sleeping for some people. It can contribute to feeling breathless, to reduced energy levels, to cold extremities. If your mouth opens at night, it's possible to stop it, and it can make a difference. Closed mouth makes for a better oxygen supply to tissues. Other components of Buteyko method or other breathing practice may also be helpful.
Rigorously keeping mouth closed at all times, and practicing relaxed slow nasal thoracic breathing can sometimes be the key to resolving this.
Not saying it will definitely fix everything, but it can be a factor that makes an important/key difference for some people.

How much are you eating overall through the day? Personally, trouble sleeping through the nigh can mean I didn't eat enough through the day to sustain me.

OP
T

Trude

I see you mentioned breathlessness in your other thread.
How's your breathing at night? Have you got a way to assess whether your mouth stays closed during sleep?
Chronic unaware hyperventilation can easily happen while sleeping for some people. It can contribute to feeling breathless, to reduced energy levels, to cold extremities. If your mouth opens at night, it's possible to stop it, and it can make a difference. Closed mouth makes for a better oxygen supply to tissues. Other components of Buteyko method or other breathing practice may also be helpful.
Rigorously keeping mouth closed at all times, and practicing relaxed slow nasal thoracic breathing can sometimes be the key to resolving this.
Not saying it will definitely fix everything, but it can be a factor that makes an important/key difference for some people.

How much are you eating overall through the day? Personally, trouble sleeping through the nigh can mean I didn't eat enough through the day to sustain me.

I think i sleep with mouth closed at night. I juse a cpap since i have sleep apnea, but i only use nose mask. In the begining i would wake when my mouth opened since all the air went out my mouth., but have not had that problem for a hvile.
I also breath trough nose at day time. Sometimes i breath so slow at daytime i suddenly have to gasp for air.

Im not sure i eat enough calories, when i ate carnivore i dont think i ate more then 1500, i was often hungry then,just not for meat.
Trying to make sure i get atleast 2000 cal now but i think its hard.
Right now i eat 3 meals a day with juices inbetween, but am gonna try 4 meals with juices inbetween.
How many calories should i even eat in a day?
Rigt now its 1am and cant sleep and is hungry.
Not sure if its the two coffees i had today early, not used to koffee or if i just have not eaten enough. Normally dont have this mutch trouble falling asleep.

tara

I can't say exactly how much you should eat, but I think average for weight-stable non-'dieting' mature (ie over about 25 yrs) women is around 2500 cal, but no doubt varies a bit. Based on reading, I suspect 2000 cals is not sufficient to sustain a healthy metabolism for most adults.
The body can respond to chronic undereating by reducing metabolism.

Rigt now its 1am and cant sleep and is hungry.
If the system runs low on blood sugar and available glycogen, it tends to use stress hormones to raise blood sugar. Hard to sleep with stress hormones running.
I can never get to sleep when hungry, and wake up in the night if I've not eaten enough. Seldom happens now, but for a while I was keeping carby snacks by the bed so I could have a small snack without disturbing myself and get back to sleep quickly if I woke up in the night.

If you are not used to coffee, it's possible that could keep you awake.

What would happen if you ate to appetite at meals, and added snacks and supper so you don't get too hungry in between?

YourUniverse

I had sleep problems for many years, and they persist if I dont take care of what I eat/do. I basically sleep very well now.

I must avoid indigestible food, ideally all day, but especially for dinner and into the evening. If I have gas, I know Ill be in for a night of rough sleep.

If I undereat, like trying to diet, I will sleep poorly. Any increase in calories will help my sleep, and ice cream makes this very easy.

Something sweet and salty is really good for lowering stress hormones which can mask fatigue.

Avoid intense stress in the evening, which can include video games or horror movies.

OP
T

Trude

I can't say exactly how much you should eat, but I think average for weight-stable non-'dieting' mature (ie over about 25 yrs) women is around 2500 cal, but no doubt varies a bit. Based on reading, I suspect 2000 cals is not sufficient to sustain a healthy metabolism for most adults.
The body can respond to chronic undereating by reducing metabolism.

If the system runs low on blood sugar and available glycogen, it tends to use stress hormones to raise blood sugar. Hard to sleep with stress hormones running.
I can never get to sleep when hungry, and wake up in the night if I've not eaten enough. Seldom happens now, but for a while I was keeping carby snacks by the bed so I could have a small snack without disturbing myself and get back to sleep quickly if I woke up in the night.

If you are not used to coffee, it's possible that could keep you awake.

What would happen if you ate to appetite at meals, and added snacks and supper so you don't get too hungry in between?

I can normally fall asleep easier then this on an empthy stomach, i'm a bit stressed over all this information and getting overwhelmed and poor sleep last few days so dont think that helps.

I do eat to i am full and when im hungry again, but i often end up longer from home then i planned and will lose a few meals.

55/75% lean beef with 2/3 egg yolks (raw) around 7pm

sleep requires serotonin and long lasting energy to go through the night, also low insulin levels for GH output = deeper, more restorative sleep. This all means that dinner should be early enough and zerocarb/carnivore. I go to bed in the 90s and wake up 7 hours later in the 80s (I bought my own glucose monitor).

Salt well for adrenaline. Start the next day with coconut milk for thyroid, orange juice, goat cheese, carry on!

Runenight201

As much salt, rice, vegetables, and fruit your stomach can handle.

Last edited:

tara

I do eat to i am full and when im hungry again, but i often end up longer from home then i planned and will lose a few meals.
Skipping the occasional meal may be fine when robust. But if the metabolism is struggling and there's habitual undereating, it may make a difference to see if you can be more consistent.
Can you carry food with you so you don't run short?

tara

I can normally fall asleep easier then this on an empthy stomach, i'm a bit stressed over all this information and getting overwhelmed and poor sleep last few days so dont think that helps.
Bear in mind that this forum has lots of different people who have mostly found something valuable or interesting in Peat's work, but all see things a bit differently and do different things.
There's pretty common ground about keeping PUFAs low.
When it come's to detail, it's what works for you that matters. If you can see an idea that you think might be relevant for you, you can try it. It's not possible to do everything everyone suggests - too much and often contradictory.
If you are wanting to know Peat's views in amongst this, it can be good to read or listen to him.

YourUniverse

Undigested food very easily causes insomnia, its quite common to sleep better on an empty stomach than on a full one. That said, the best case is to be well fed, and still sleep well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals