You may be onto something with this "High Serotonin Bad" thing... (Organic acids test result with very elevated 5-HIAA)

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
I decided to go over all of the organic acids tests (OAT) I've run in the past on my clients to see if I could find correlations between 5-HIAA and poorer health status at the time of sample collection, and low and behold I saw this:

1691411837730.png

5-HIAA, the serotonin metabolite is more than 3x higher than the top of the reference range, and along with it quinolinic acid is elevated indicating a lot of inflammation. But that's just the start of it...

This person had recently been in hospital for a couple of weeks with severe health issues, and a bunch of other markers were indicating a lot of dysfunction.

For example, signs of severe mitochondrial dysfunction (basically only one marker within range, rest is very elevated):

1691412114083.png

Also build up of lactic and pyruvic acid:

1691412147585.png

A lot of Candida and yeast overgrowth:
1691412171506.png

More indicators of intestinal dysbiosis (likely due to colonisation after the antibiotics):
1691412206249.png

Strong indication of glutathione deficiency (marker is even more elevated when factoring in creatinine and sample dilution):

And a riboflavin deficiency to boot:
1691412233626.png

This is pretty much the only time I've seen such an elevated 5-HIAA, and just so happens to be in the person with the most health issues we've ever ran the test on. Pretty fascinating. I wonder could the serotonin be a response to all these stressors or a driver of dysfunction. It may indeed be a combination of the two, but it certainly merits further research.

I decided to go over all of the organic acids tests (OAT) I've run in the past on my clients to see if I could find correlations between 5-HIAA and poorer health status at the time of sample collection, and low and behold I saw this:

View attachment 53817

5-HIAA, the serotonin metabolite is more than 3x higher than the top of the reference range, and along with it quinolinic acid is elevated indicating a lot of inflammation. But that's just the start of it...

This person had recently been in hospital for a couple of weeks with severe health issues, and a bunch of other markers were indicating a lot of dysfunction.

For example, signs of severe mitochondrial dysfunction (basically only one marker within range, rest is very elevated):

View attachment 53819

View attachment 53820

View attachment 53821

More indicators of intestinal dysbiosis (likely due to colonisation after the antibiotics): View attachment 53822

Strong indication of glutathione deficiency (marker is even more elevated when factoring in creatinine and sample dilution):

View attachment 53823

This is pretty much the only time I've seen such an elevated 5-HIAA, and just so happens to be in the person with the most health issues we've ever ran the test on. Pretty fascinating. I wonder could the serotonin be a response to all these stressors or a driver of dysfunction. It may indeed be a combination of the two, but it certainly merits further research.
Hi.
Interesting.
Do you know any lab in Europe doing this kind of test?
I am from Portugal.
Thanks.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Have you any experience with methylene blue?
I am considerig getting some currently to test on myself, so no. I stick with the more conventional mitochondrial support supplements and lifestyle recommendations (which are even more important with folks that have poor lifestyle choices that lead to ill-health). The more "fringe" stuff I would only recommend after extensive self-testing and research, especially with older folks or those that are fairly compromised.

Peater

I am considerig getting some currently to test on myself, so no. I stick with the more conventional mitochondrial support supplements and lifestyle recommendations (which are even more important with folks that have poor lifestyle choices that lead to ill-health). The more "fringe" stuff I would only recommend after extensive self-testing and research, especially with older folks or those that are fairly compromised.

I'd be very interested in your results!

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Hi.
Interesting.
Do you know any lab in Europe doing this kind of test?
I am from Portugal.
Thanks.
Oh nice, I live in Portugal. The lab that does this OAT is in the US, but I work with an intermediary lab in Euope that facilitates the shipping, so can hook you up if you want to run it. DM if you'd like .

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
I'd be very interested in your results!
I just need to find a vendor that is in the EU and I am getting some. I do take a lot of stuff though so new things generally don't move the needle much! But I am super looking forward to starting the pregenolone that should be arriving this week.

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter

View attachment 53817

View attachment 53819

View attachment 53820

View attachment 53821

More indicators of intestinal dysbiosis (likely due to colonisation after the antibiotics): View attachment 53822

View attachment 53823

What vendor can someone use in the US to get this test done?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals