Wow-what A Difference!

OP
C

caroline

So then I have to buy another supplement--vitamin K, if I am taking aspirin? Ok...so aspirin consumption requires vitamin K supplementation as well for optimal effect...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
caroline said:
So then I have to buy another supplement--vitamin K, if I am taking aspirin? Ok...so aspirin consumption requires vitamin K supplementation as well for optimal effect...
That's what Ray Peat recommends. However, some people are able to do without. Only thing is, if you track your nutrients on cronometer.com you will see that you are probably way under on vitamin K, so it makes perfect sense to go ahead and supplement it since its an extremely important vitamin. Vitamin K has a lot to do with energy also. :)

OP
C

caroline

Hmmm, okay. So maybe this would be a good one to take regardless. Thank you, Charlie! I am going to look it up...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
caroline said:
Hmmm, okay. So maybe this would be a good one to take regardless. Thank you, Charlie! I am going to look it up...
Yes, I think so. Tracking my Peat inspired eating regimen via cronometer showed me WAY under on vitamin K.

OP
C

caroline

I see liver has lots of vitamin k. Maybe that is enough if I eat that at least once/twice a week, and eat at least 1/4 pound or more. Also, I see that one kiwi has some. And vegetable broth, from kale, but then you have the carotene thing, and I don't like it. I have to look a bit more, but this would inspire me to eat liver regularly, if that will do it.

OP
C

caroline

Took one aspirin before bed. No vitamin K. I am not going to buy another supplement. If I have problems from the aspirin, I will evaluate and decide whether to continue or not but I am resolved NOT to take any more supplements. It is expensive and a hassle. I am only committed to B vitamins for now and magnesium.

I had insane dream. Dreamed I had testicles and was testing (serioiusly) how they worked by challenging myself with these weird little discs (maybe like the aspirin?) that I would drop into my body and then feel if the effects got to me. Each disc would have more "power" behind it. Finally, I got to the 6th or 7th and could feel I was getting revved up, i.e. stress response, and I woke myself up in the middle of the dream. Then I could feel all the responses of what would usually be panic, excitement, etc., starting up. My breathing had accelerated. This is very interesting b/c it was after doing the breathing exercises. My MAIN focus when doing this was not so much on holding air in, but in relaxing everything around my throat and diaphragm while doing it. That is why I didnt pinch my nose b/c it made it harder to relax. I don't care if I am letting a little air in or out. Anyway, I think I got very tuned into relaxation and breathing response, and to me, this worked like a feedback mechanism. Now, it may have been the aspirin that made me revved. But it was an interesting experience.

Minus that, I did sleep deeply. This has been the first time where I was able to see the stress response not in terms of the usual things, like a sense of panic, etc., but before any of that was recognizable, I felt my breathing pattern change. It was quite difficult to slow it down. I found I really wanted to gasp at air. It seems the breathing is very useful. I am going to do some now. And today's experiment with aspirin begins. NO VITAMIN K. If I have issues, I probably will just discontinue the aspirin, not buy K.

OP
C

caroline

Kind of weird. Had craving for prunes today. I don't like fruit, don't eat it, and certainly and especially do not like dried fruit. But wanted them. Ate all of them. Looked them up. High in vitamin K. I think that is funny since I am taking aspirin now. They are not the best digested---I am a gas bomb today but I felt I had to have them so that's that.

OP
C

caroline

Slept kind of crazy again. I think that in fact, the aspirin does keep me a bit awake, and cause me to have more aggressive dreams. I am going to make sure I take my last dose at like 3 pm or so.

Today is a new plan. I am suspicious that COFFEE is problematic. I remember always, in the past, feeling more and more exhausted by coffee. It does not wake me up. I know all this stuff about adrenals, blah, blah. Whatever the case, regardless, doing it very Peat-like, with the sugar, milk, with food, etc. has not seemed to make a difference. So today, I did an experiment: took my B's but more in the ratio Haidut mentioned to me for my specific issue: cognitive function and energy. Did only 500 g of niacinamide, 1500 of B1, the three aspirin, which actually, are super easy for me, thank goodness. NO stomach ache, etc. Haidut helped me find the right one--just starch, no coating. And my b complex. Had a drink with cocoa powder, coconut oil, milk, sugar, and NO COFFEE. So I am going to see if this shifts things.

I know caffeine is a big part of the diet, but if it doesn't work well for me, then I am not going to ignore that. I am not an idiot when it comes to understanding what things feel like in my body. My kinesthetic sense is very heightened and always has been--I think in pictures, sense things, and often see what is needed on a giant screen in my head. Other more linear aspects tend to be more challenging for me. Anyway, if it is indeed the case that I feel better without coffee, I may just look for caffeine pills and see if it is just the coffee that is an issue and not the caffeine.

OP
C

caroline

Took about 1/4 of a pill. Found one with just caffeine. That is about 50 mg. of caffeine. So far so good. Also, interesting, was talking to a very nice young man who is as thrifty as me at CVS. We figured out that the caffeine pills are at least as economical, if not more, than the coffee. ALSO, he mentioned (he is very well travelled) when I explained how coffee, the more I drink, makes me TIRED, that it has this effect on him as well b/c he is "hyper." Further, he mentioned that Europeans, unlike Americans, drink coffee later in the day, b/c it winds them down, whereas Americans drink it in the a.m. Again, this is just one person's perspective, but it gave me some insight that perhaps I am using coffee incorrectly for my particular physiology. Maybe it is the caffeine alone I need, and I can have a bit of coffee later in the day. Anyway, will see how it goes. Also, if I am not drinking coffee that much, I will be having lots less sugar so will see what effect that has as well.

OP
C

caroline

200 mg. caffeine pill this a.m. 500 mg. B1. 1500 mg. of niacinamide. Back to 1500 to see how that works. The 200 mg. pill feels just fine. I really am not affected normally by these things--as in makes me hyper. I am really liking the aspirin.

Also came up with a great recipe last night for my oats. Added an egg, b/c I wanted to see how it would be eating an egg at night. Did the whole egg, which I like better, as they are quite expensive and then I get twice as much protein.

Egg
Milk
Baking Soda
Coconut oil melted in pan
Honey
Oats

It fried up into a yummy pancake. Added salt on it and more honey. It was super yummy. And I thought about how it had everything I needed in it-milk/the right kind of salt/protein/fat/starch.

I DID wake up at midnight, which is not great, but then immediately fell back asleep and slept well but also, I switched my sleeping to the floor, and I did not have the window open. I have gotten very used to sleeping right next to the window with the cold air coming in directly. I am warm under my comforter etc, but I think I need cold to sleep properly.

When I have tried eating more red meat over the past few days to get my protein, each time I have not felt as good. I LOVE the aspirin. And I will say, I notice my face looks leaner, and I have to wonder if it is the anti-inflammatory effect of the aspirin. NOw it is not like I have a "fat" face to begin with--I just noticed today it looks leaner. Also, I have been drinking more water. I don't think I was drinking enough b/c I don't drink gallons of milk. That seems completely gross to me and I really don't want to spend my day running to the toilet. So I think I need more water. Also, I am doing less sweet now that I am not doing so much coffee. FAt content is high-lots of coconut oil.

I wish people would post more on the site and respond more to posts. That is the whole point of being able to share information. So I am beginning to spend a lot more time looking on Peatarian.com, where people appear to post more regularly. Also, I don't care if people say things that are contradictory to standard Peat. I like learning about what people find. I have the freedom to disregard whatever I choose, as with all things, so when people question things, it makes me think. After all, if it was simply up to research, I would still be doing VLC/ZC, which has plenty of data to support it. Yet I am here looking for something that suits my needs better. Anyway, that's all for now.

OP
C

caroline

Oh, I forgot to mention that I tried coffee at 3ish in the day yesterday, and used a much greater amount, b/c I wasn't sure if not doing enough is the problem. I used probably 3 or 4 times as much as usual (like 3 or four teaspoons about) so maybe that is what woke me up at midnight. Can't be sure. Will have coffee today, but not right now after I already had my caffeine pill. Seems like a bad idea.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
caroline said:
I LOVE the aspirin. And I will say, I notice my face looks leaner, and I have to wonder if it is the anti-inflammatory effect of the aspirin. NOw it is not like I have a "fat" face to begin with--I just noticed today it looks leaner.
Aspirin is an estrogen inhibitor, estrogen makes you retain water. So wondering if the aspirin lowered your estrogen and water retention decreased on face.

OP
C

caroline

Hmmm,

Maybe. Good thought. (re: aspirin).

Some changes today. Took 2000 mg. of niacinamide b/c was debating taking nothing day of test (wed) but felt more panic (test anxiety) so took an extra 500. I think the anxiety is what makes me so tired. Taking more of the niacinamide, in the amount I am taking it, may be keeping me calm AND reducing energy. HOwever, if it is between being sharp as in on pins and needles, and calm but more fatigued, I will opt for the second one. The first is very unpleasant and more tiring.

Woke up at 3 am. Not good. Last night it was 12. HOwever, I have been taking caffeine pill, sleeping on floor again and it is too warm for me (as opposed to being right next to the window), AND I have been eating less sugar AND salt. So today, I am doing more sugar and more salt. Also, I took my caffeine pill WITH coffee. I did a lot of drawing yesterday and am just doing light reading, but am trying not to think too much. Also played some Bach on the piano.

I like what someone said about Peat saying too much studying causes brain damage. Didn't read the study, but it reminded me to use my brain to do other things. I just have to keep my test in perspective. I will do how I do and get what I get. It doesn't matter if I studied for 10 years or a day. I just need to sit down, remain calm, and put down what I know. The earth will still be standing after the fact, and my path will still be my path. I think it is really most important, not the result, but having the proper perspective. So that is my goal.

OP
C

caroline

Oh, the good thing is, when I woke up, I pretty quickly went back to sleep.

Also, am making an effort to drink more water. I think I have really not been drinking enough at all.

Still really perplexed about the amount of protein. Perhaps this is a dumb question, but if I need more, why don't I want more? I am forcing myself to have more servings of gelatin. It's not a big deal, doesn't taste bad, and I am not very picky about eating it. I just pour it in a bowl, add hot water, mix it, and drink it. But the issue with protein, is that potatoes don't make me feel good. I have tried them several times, but each time, while I don't wake up with raging joint pain, I feel a bit inflamed after eating them and definitely not energized. That leaves meat which is still suspect in terms of its effects, eggs (still challenging though definitely much improved), and liver, which is not something we eat every day. And the milk, I am not drinking enough of it to get lots of protein from it. I drink it often, but not in large amounts. So protein for me, is the biggest hassle. It was very easy to get from red meat, but I still am unclear about how it effects me. I definitely think there is something to not eating it at night. I think it is easier to eat early in the day. NOt sure about eggs. They may be okay to eat at night for me. Anyway, the protein issue is still a dilemma. I keep looking to find someone, woman preferably, who does fine on less. Without being a big meat eater it is a hassle to try and accumulate enough protein. And cheese does not work for me. Cheese, potatoes, are both not optimal.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat says to try and get at least 80 grams of protein, some are taking in as much as 150 grams. I think with you, you are running on stress hormones most of the time(due to your anxiety etc) which I think can cause less of an appetite for some.

I noticed when after drinking coffee your energy crashed, I think that is most likely stress hormones crashed and you are trying to switch over to good clean energy, which feels very tiring at first.

OP
C

caroline

What do you mean, Charlie? This sounds like something very important that I don't quite understand! Seriously, not being facetious. I think you are right but can't quite understand.

Do you mean that if I just stay on what I am doing, eventually I will be affected by coffee like others? I.e. more energy? Is that what you mean? And maybe you are right about appetite b/c I really have none. The most in the mood I am to eat is at night, which would make sense, b/c I don't have to fight as much to be productive and have the same goals at that point--hence, food becomes more fun and appealing.

I am not in danger of not eating simply b/c I am focused on getting proper nutrition, so I eat no matter whether I am hungry or not, but it would be nice to not have this struggle with energy. Someone else was quite helpful and he told me that regardless of whether I "felt" the effect of caffeine, I was still getting the benefits so it encouraged me to stay with it.

OP
C

caroline

What do you think it means to switch over to good clean energy? I don't mean the science of it--I am more interested in your idea about how this might look...If I can picture it, I think it will probably happen sooner.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
When our good energy system cannot run anymore like it should, it starts to shut down. Then, the emergency system comes online, stress hormones (adrenaline, cortisol, etc etc). Stress hormones give you that anxious, go go go type energy. It's not a calm energy. So I think you are running strictly on stress hormones(this is just my opinion from watching your progress). And then when you drink coffee, the coffee acts like thyroid, giving good clean energy, so when the body see's that the good energy is coming back, it will shut down the emergency energy system, the stress hormones. Some people notice they get tired when starting to Peat. I think this is from the emergency energy system backing down, and the good energy system starting up. It just takes time and adjustment because a lot of chemical processes have to change.

Hope that makes sense.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
And when the emergency system cannot sustain itself anymore, thats when the exhaustion comes in because you are running out of energy systems now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Like for me, when I found Peat my emergency system had already been burned through, and I was in a complete state of exhaustion. Some call it adrenal fatigue, but basically its the metabolic system going even lower and not able to support the emergency system. So once those systems started firing up again the energy started coming back.

Some people when they find Peat are running off of pure stress hormones. So when they do things like add coffee, thyroid, etc, it can dramatically lower those stress hormones, which can make you feel really tired because that emergency energy system is being dialed down, while the good energy system is coming back online.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals