Calcium Deficiency Is Real, But Not Recognized On A Blood Test

Arrade

Of course everything has to be in context. No one said anything about 'no estrogen in a system', (as if that would even be possible), but these hormones are necessary as more of an 'emergency fight or flight' response, from the 'Peatarian' perspective and just because we make them doesn't mean it's favorable to advocate their pathological utility with relation to overall health, or what is considered the 'ideal.'
It is possible to have almost no estrogen, I just don’t see the proof that estrogen absolutely isn’t needed for bone health

Waremu

It is possible to have almost no estrogen, I just don’t see the proof that estrogen absolutely isn’t needed for bone health

Not for most people. And no one said estrogen isn't 'absolutely' needed. But in a world where most people produce far more estrogen than they should, advocating estrogen as if it's the or a main healthy player in bone health I think is kind of absurd.

Arrade

Not for most people. And no one said estrogen isn't 'absolutely' needed. But in a world where most people produce far more estrogen than they should, advocating estrogen as if it's the or a main healthy player in bone health I think is kind of absurd.
I still think a normal level estrogen may be needed for bone health, not just as a fight or flight response.

Waremu

I still think a normal level estrogen may be needed for bone health, not just as a fight or flight response.

'Normal' would likely be much lower than what most people produce in todays world, so again, either way you're talking about less estrogen, generally speaking.

Arrade

'Normal' would likely be much lower than what most people produce in todays world, so again, either way you're talking about less estrogen, generally speaking.
My bad, healthy would be a more apt adjective. I meant so far as I have read, healthy levels of estrogen (between 15-30) are health sustaining and most likely net a benefit for bones

fradon

i've had bad results with calcium supplementation it just builds up in my legs and my knees start popping.

Markus

I've tinkered with calcium supplementation in the past but currently don't take any calcium supplements and don't eat dairy due to intolerance.

My latest lab results showed high hair calcium, normal blood calcium, 50 ng/mL vitamin D and lower quartile PTH. However, my calcium intake is only around 600 mg on average with 600 mg magnesium and 1800 mg phosphorous (both of which were in normal range).

Do you think I would benefit from more calcium?

I've tinkered with calcium supplementation in the past but currently don't take any calcium supplements and don't eat dairy due to intolerance.

My latest lab results showed high hair calcium, normal blood calcium, 50 ng/mL vitamin D and lower quartile PTH. However, my calcium intake is only around 600 mg on average with 600 mg magnesium and 1800 mg phosphorous (both of which were in normal range).

Do you think I would benefit from more calcium?

Yes. PTH could be lower.

Johnathan5544

I eat 2 egg shells, and some bones every second day. Taking calcium without vitamin k2 (natto or supplement) is dangerous, and leads to heart attack so make sure to eat natto with it.

hmac

Taking egg shells really messed me up. In general, high calcium intakes for me, do not appear to be good. This may be due to other things that the calcium tends to be associated with, however.

It's worth nothing that PTH can be suppressed by magnesium as long as there isn't too much calcium around -https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3910342/ - "Increasing Mg concentrations from 0.5 to 2 mM produced a left shift of PTH–Ca curves. With Mg 5 mM, the secretory response was practically abolished. Mg was able to reduce PTH only if parathyroid glands were exposed to moderately low Ca concentrations; with normal–high Ca concentrations, the effect of Mg on PTH inhibition was minor or absent."

Johnathan5544

You claim eating egg shells "messed you up". I won't take your word for it, and assume you say that to deter people from eating free egg shells (calcium carbonate) ,and spend money on a calcium carbonate supplement instead.

magnesium is actually needed for PTH release, and deficiency impairs PTH release. Hemp seeds, and pumpkin seeds are good food sources of mag.

Markus

It's worth nothing that PTH can be suppressed by magnesium as long as there isn't too much calcium around -https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3910342/ - "Increasing Mg concentrations from 0.5 to 2 mM produced a left shift of PTH–Ca curves. With Mg 5 mM, the secretory response was practically abolished. Mg was able to reduce PTH only if parathyroid glands were exposed to moderately low Ca concentrations; with normal–high Ca concentrations, the effect of Mg on PTH inhibition was minor or absent."

This might be the case for me since I take magnesium supplements. I might see what happens if I add some calcium.

You claim eating egg shells "messed you up". I won't take your word for it, and assume you say that to deter people from eating free egg shells (calcium carbonate) ,and spend money on a calcium carbonate supplement instead.

magnesium is actually needed for PTH release, and deficiency impairs PTH release. Hemp seeds, and pumpkin seeds are good food sources of mag.

Good pufa sources.

Markus

What were your hair calcium and magnesium levels?

Calcium is high and magnesium is mid-normal in hair. Both are mid-normal in blood with a low-normal PTH and 50 ng/mL vitamin D as noted above.

hmac

Calcium is high and magnesium is mid-normal in hair. Both are mid-normal in blood with a low-normal PTH and 50 ng/mL vitamin D as noted above.
would be interested to hear how trying the calcium goes.

jet9

So, after many years (4) of dropping all dairy from my diet, I decided to look into the RDI for calcium.

I quickly began to realize that the RDI was 1000mg for a Adult, Male. I am sure this would be higher for someone who exercises very intensely (me).

Doing some basic maths I noticed that I would never be getting anywhere near this amount on a daily basis.

There appears to be not many whole-food based calcium rich foods, apart from Sardines, Soy (Would never ingest this shi*), and a few others.

So I started trialing out a calcium powder at approx. 1500mg daily.

Noticeable effects (Within 5 days):
-Insanely less mental chatter
-Strong focus/ANTI-ADHD properties
-Stronger libido
-Increased vascularity
-Better sleep
-CALMNESS (You would think the opposite)

Now clearly I have had blood tests to prove that I am indeed NOT deficient in calcium, since I understand that the body can easily maintain homeostasis via pulling calcium from the bones.

How do you respond to calcium?
How many mg do you aim for per day?
Lokzo hi, are you still taking calcium ? Why did you opted for calcium supplement vs adding dairy back ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals