Can Someone Explain The Relationship Between Thyroid Function And Darkness?

I came across a few Peat quotes where he refers to darkness as stressful and resulting in the suppression of thyroid function.

"My first suggestion for someone with PMS is to avoid thyroid suppression (darkness and endurance exercise should be avoided), and to use my carrot salad recipe"

"Finally, long hours of daylight are known to increase progesterone production, and long hours of darkness are stressful. Annually, our total hours of day and night are the same regardless of latitude, but different ways of living, levels of artificial illumination, etc., have a strong influence on our hormones. In some animal experiments, prolonged exposure to light has delayed some aspects of aging."

In support of this, many users on the Red Light sub-forum have repeated good results in terms of normalising thyroid function, temperature, and pulse. With some even discontinuing thyroid meds.

Thyroid function while asleep seems important, since low morning temperatures are a strong indicator of diminished function.

Regarding darkness, some studies also show that sleeping in a pitch black environment also enhances sleep quality, particularly restorative stages 3/4. Perhaps this is because it crudely replicates going to sleep with regular light/dark cycles, which the majority of modern humans are out of sync with.

So my question is twofold and I haven't seen this covered comprehensively anywhere so far:

1. What is the relationship between thyroid functioning and darkness in general, why is it stressful?

2. What is the relationship between thyroid functioning and darkness when it comes to sleep? Is a pitch black room beneficial or negative when it comes to enhancing thyroid function?

Thank you : -)

Probably 1. No mitochondrial stimulation from photons (probably related to "darkness excites the electrons" quotes by Peat) :emoji_point_right: body notices less efficient respiration / stress reaction from free radicals 2. No destruction of melatonin / no strong melatonin rhythm / no vitamin D 3. Self destruction of the thymus gland (not sure why though) 4. Lower temperature means lower body temperature or catecholamines to raise the body temperature 5. Hibernation response / serotonin release (not sure mechanism but probably all of them) / effect on HPT axis.

Also light could directly make the thyroid work quicker maybe through mechanism #1 (example Ultrastructural Changes in Thyroid Follicular Cells During Normal Postnatal Development and After Infrared Laser Radiation)

paymanz

Darkness may also increase prolactin levels.which can have antithyroid effects.

Igorevich

I often experience panic attacks when turning my lights off when going to sleep. I am not afraid of darkness or something like that. So on my worst days, I prefer to sleep with light.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals