SLEEP

“Good sleep requires fairly vigorous metabolism and a normal body temperature. In old age, the metabolic rate is decreased, and sleep becomes defective.” -Ray Peat

I must have hit old age in my twenties, because I had terrible insomnia back then. Looking back now, and knowing more now than I did then, my problem was definetly because of my metabolism. I thought, because I was extremely underweight, that I had a fast metabolism, but now realize I had an unhealthy metabolism. When I was at a healthier weight in my teens I had no problems sleeping. Now I laid awake for hours trying to go to sleep, and even had a bout of sleep walking, where I injured myself falling while trying to run out of the house naked thinking my house was on fire!

My sleep improved in my 30’s, being exhausted chasing around and entertaining small children around all day, and I kept up that pace until they graduated, and my life finally settled down a bit more. Unfortunately I also put on some extra pounds. That is when my sleep took a turn for the worse again. My health got worse and my sleep was a different kind of bad. I could fall asleep easy, but I would wake up a few hours later and could not go back to sleep. I would get hot in the night too and extra air conditioning was necessary to sleep.

“This view of sleep is consistent with observations that disturbed sleep is associated with obesity, and that the torpor-hibernation chemical, serotonin, powerfully interferes with learning.” -Ray Peat

I cut out the grains and lost the extra pounds, but now histamine issues in my late 40’s were the new cause of my sleep issues. It was usual to sleep for a few hours then be wide awake the rest of the night. After many months of this I finally gave up one night and made a cup of coffee at 3:00 A.M. and found instead that the coffee with all the cream and sugar calmed my histamines and made me sleepy again. So from then on I would have a shot of coffee with milk and sugar in the middle of the night to get back to sleep. Then I found that a half cup of water with sugar and a pinch if salt did the trick. After my histamine issues resolved I switched to a big spoonful of raw honey, to appease my liver, like Ray Peat suggests, to get back to sleep, and it has worked for several years, until extreme stress came into my life.

“ Salty and sugary foods taken at bedtime, or during the night, help to improve the quality and duration of sleep. Both salt and sugar lower the adrenalin level, and both tend to raise the body temperature.“ -Ray Peat

Stress is a whole different kind of sleep issue. I couldn’t get to sleep and didn’t stay asleep very long when I did finally fall asleep. Progesterone worked a bit to get me back to sleep, but only for two or three hours, so I would then try my honey, but it just wasn’t enough. I knew if I didn’t hack this problem soon that my health was going down the tubes and my outer appearance would follow. The first thing I tried was a Ray Peat recommendation to sleep with a dim light on, and strangely that helped some. I had already been sleeping with the bathroom fan on or a sound machine for 20 years, but the dim light had a calming effect. Funny cause I had been blocking as much light as possible for a good night sleep before, and didn’t expect I could sleep with some light in the room.

“I suspect that nocturnal sleep has the special function of minimizing the stress of darkness itself, and that it has subsidiary functions, including its now well confirmed role in the consolidation and organization of memory.” -Ray Peat

Over this past few months, I found it difficult to get a reliable good night of rest until this past couple of weeks. I started doing some sleep experiments and I know for sure that a meal 2 to 3 hours before bedtime will ruin my chances of sleeping well, and eating proteins, especially meat, at night is the worst! On one recent night, I fell asleep easily, but woke up around 3:00, so I tried a spoonful of organic marmalade, which RP says is a super anti-inflammatory, and I took a milk thistle with it, which is great for the liver, and I slept through the rest of the night into the late morning. Another night I had an early dinner and at bedtime I “bloomed” and dissolved a tablespoon of gelatin (not collagen) in hot water and added a big spoonful of organic orange marmalade along with a half teaspoon of casacara and that gave me THE BEST night sleep, never waking up once until the late morning. I tried a tablespoon of collagen with water the next night and got nothing from it.

I am still experimenting, and last night I tried a recommendation from my friend’s husband who is an avid bicyclist. He swears by a spoonful of peanut butter getting him back to sleep if he wakes up in the night. Not willing to eat PUFA’s for sleep, I made up my own “Peaty Peanut Butter” with defatted peanut powder, liquid coconut oil and sugar, and it got me back to sleep till late morning! I am gonna try an Epsom salt foot bath next and see how that goes.

“Increased body temperature improves sleep, especially the deep slow wave sleep. A hot bath, or even warming the feet, has the same effect as thyroid in improving sleep.” -Ray Peat

Knowing sleep is going to keep evading me as I grow older, I am determined to have many tricks to ensure my health doesn’t decline from lack of sleep ever again. Here is where I will share them.

“With age the metabolic rate progressively declines, and as a result the ability to maintain an adequate body temperature tends to decrease with aging.” -Ray Peat

Last edited:

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, have you tried some warm (whole) milk with honey or ice cream before bed? I've been transitioning my diet over to be closer to my post fracturing diet (mainly, full-fat dairy) and I'm finally sleeping through the night without needing so much cane sugar. I was having to increase my intake every few days to sleep through the night--I was up to 1.5 cups (300 g).

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, have you tried some warm (whole) milk with honey or ice cream before bed? I've been transitioning my diet over to be closer to my post fracturing diet (mainly, full-fat dairy) and I'm finally sleeping through the night without needing so much cane sugar. I was having to increase my intake every few days to sleep through the night--I was up to 1.5 cups (300 g).
Häagen-Dazs Daz coffee ice cream has made me sleep well, but I gave up Häagen Dazs for ethical purposes and my homemade ice cream doesn’t have any cream or egg yolks in it to do the trick like regular ice cream. I also don’t want to put on the pounds eating ice cream at night. Milk does not work for me at bedtime either. It seems to raise my histamines.

Z

Zsazsa

I find this yoga position extremely relaxing and most times I do it I sleep deeply the whole night.
I do it at bedtime on my bed for about 15 minutes or until my feet begin to feel cold.
0.19.jpg

Peachy

“Good sleep requires fairly vigorous metabolism and a normal body temperature. In old age, the metabolic rate is decreased, and sleep becomes defective.” -Ray Peat

I must have hit old age in my twenties, because I had terrible insomnia back then. Looking back now, and knowing more now than I did then, my problem was definetly because of my metabolism. I thought, because I was extremely underweight, that I had a fast metabolism, but now realize I had an unhealthy metabolism. When I was at a healthier weight in my teens I had no problems sleeping. Now I laid awake for hours trying to go to sleep, and even had a bout of sleep walking, where I injured myself falling while trying to run out of the house naked thinking my house was on fire!

My sleep improved in my 30’s, being exhausted chasing around and entertaining small children around all day, and I kept up that pace until they graduated, and my life finally settled down a bit more. Unfortunately I also put on some extra pounds. That is when my sleep took a turn for the worse again. My health got worse and my sleep was a different kind of bad. I could fall asleep easy, but I would wake up a few hours later and could not go back to sleep. I would get hot in the night too and extra air conditioning was necessary to sleep.

“This view of sleep is consistent with observations that disturbed sleep is associated with obesity, and that the torpor-hibernation chemical, serotonin, powerfully interferes with learning.” -Ray Peat

I cut out the grains and lost the extra pounds, but now histamine issues in my late 40’s were the new cause of my sleep issues. It was usual to sleep for a few hours then be wide awake the rest of the night. After many months of this I finally gave up one night and made a cup of coffee at 3:00 A.M. and found instead that the coffee with all the cream and sugar calmed my histamines and made me sleepy again. So from then on I would have a shot of coffee with milk and sugar in the middle of the night to get back to sleep. Then I found that a half cup of water with sugar and a pinch if salt did the trick. After my histamine issues resolved I switched to a big spoonful of raw honey, to appease my liver, like Ray Peat suggests, to get back to sleep, and it has worked for several years, until extreme stress came into my life.

“ Salty and sugary foods taken at bedtime, or during the night, help to improve the quality and duration of sleep. Both salt and sugar lower the adrenalin level, and both tend to raise the body temperature.“ -Ray Peat

Stress is a whole different kind of sleep issue. I couldn’t get to sleep and didn’t stay asleep very long when I did finally fall asleep. Progesterone worked a bit to get me back to sleep, but only for two or three hours, so I would then try my honey, but it just wasn’t enough. I knew if I didn’t hack this problem soon that my health was going down the tubes and my outer appearance would follow. The first thing I tried was a Ray Peat recommendation to sleep with a dim light on, and strangely that helped some. I had already been sleeping with the bathroom fan on or a sound machine for 20 years, but the dim light had a calming effect. Funny cause I had been blocking as much light as possible for a good night sleep before, and didn’t expect I could sleep with some light in the room.

“I suspect that nocturnal sleep has the special function of minimizing the stress of darkness itself, and that it has subsidiary functions, including its now well confirmed role in the consolidation and organization of memory.” -Ray Peat

Over this past few months, I found it difficult to get a reliable good night of rest until this past couple of weeks. I started doing some sleep experiments and I know for sure that a meal 2 to 3 hours before bedtime will ruin my chances of sleeping well, and eating proteins, especially meat, at night is the worst! On one recent night, I fell asleep easily, but woke up around 3:00, so I tried a spoonful of organic marmalade, which RP says is a super anti-inflammatory, and I took a milk thistle with it, which is great for the liver, and I slept through the rest of the night into the late morning. Another night I had an early dinner and at bedtime I “bloomed” and dissolved a tablespoon of gelatin (not collagen) in hot water and added a big spoonful of organic orange marmalade along with a half teaspoon of casacara and that gave me THE BEST night sleep, never waking up once until the late morning. I tried a tablespoon of collagen with water the next night and got nothing from it.

I am still experimenting, and last night I tried a recommendation from my friend’s husband who is an avid bicyclist. He swears by a spoonful of peanut butter getting him back to sleep if he wakes up in the night. Not willing to eat PUFA’s for sleep, I made up my own “Peaty Peanut Butter” with defatted peanut powder, liquid coconut oil and sugar, and it got me back to sleep till late morning! I am gonna try an Epsom salt foot bath next and see how that goes.

“Increased body temperature improves sleep, especially the deep slow wave sleep. A hot bath, or even warming the feet, has the same effect as thyroid in improving sleep.” -Ray Peat

Knowing sleep is going to keep evading me as I grow older, I am determined to have many tricks to ensure my health doesn’t decline from lack of sleep ever again. Here is where I will share them.

“With age the metabolic rate progressively declines, and as a result the ability to maintain an adequate body temperature tends to decrease with aging.” -Ray Peat

I liked reading what you’ve experimented with and your insights!

That’s funny. I know someone else who wakes up in the middle of the night, drinks coffee, then goes back to sleep.

A couple of things I find comforting:

Somewhere I read that just lying and resting (not toiling) gives you 80% the refreshment of sleep. Haven’t verified it but I’m rolling with it!

“…for he gives to his beloved sleep” Psalm 127:2

Old Irenaeus

I take warm milk with lots of honey, some cocoa powder, and a little coconut oil before bed. Sometimes honey alone seems to work. I was following a tip I read from @TheSir

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Inspired by this conversation with Ray Peat I had , for a light meal, an egg fried in a little butter with melted cheddar on top as well as little hot sauce (which probably wasn’t a good strategy), and a cup and a half of fresh squeezed and strained orange juice mixed with a half cup of water and a spoonful of raw white whipped honey and a pinch of salt.

Rinse & rePeat:
“Good morning Dr. Peat, I hope the day finds you well! When do you think is the best time to consume eggs? Because of the sleepy tryptophan in the egg whites and their “powerful protein”. that you say needs a lot of sugar to balance, I would think they would be most beneficial at night . On the other hand you don’t recommend proteins at night, for better sleep, so maybe they are a better daytime food?”

RAY PEAT:
“Having only one egg per meal, with plenty of juice, there is seldom a problem. Blood sugar is more stable in the middle of the day.“

Rinse & rePeat:

“Do you think eating an egg near bedtime would help or hinder sleep?”

RAY PEAT:

“If I have one egg for supper with some carbohydrate it doesn’t bother my sleep.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I liked reading what you’ve experimented with and your insights!

That’s funny. I know someone else who wakes up in the middle of the night, drinks coffee, then goes back to sleep.

A couple of things I find comforting:

Somewhere I read that just lying and resting (not toiling) gives you 80% the refreshment of sleep. Haven’t verified it but I’m rolling with it!

“…for he gives to his beloved sleep” Psalm 127:2

I like that verse :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Anyone try oatmeal or rice before bedtime?

“Oats contain tryptophan, an amino-acid the brain converts into serotonin, which relaxes the body before falling asleep. The brain need tryptophan to make serotonin, so it is important to get enough of it for good sleep.”

supercoolguy

Waking up at 3am? Ive used Salted Juice 6-8oz for years now.
Even this week, I lay there and think..... No Way it's gonna work This Time.

Ignoramus

Have you tried quitting coffee long term? This really changed my life. I think I just can't metabolise it quickly enough.

Meditation before bed is also great! I do the kind where I first focus on my body; imaging releasing all my niggles and moving into serene lightness. I then empty my mind by slowly letting go of each thought until I'm at one with my breath. Eventually I enter a state of pure euphoria and feel so connected to my experience. Then sleep comes so easily. Give it a try!

And I should say that I've struggled with sleep all of my adult life until now. I also think I have high histamine. Caffeine is just too much!

Z

Zsazsa

Salted OJ, which I learned here, helped me for only a couple of months.

Generally I must avoid high choline (like eggs) and high sulfur foods at dinner, but if I eat a banana afterwards it then provides a full night of sleep.

I noticed that avoiding high tryptophan foods was being very detrimental to my sleep.

Ignoramus

Salted OJ, which I learned here, helped me for only a couple of months.

Generally I must avoid high choline (like eggs) and high sulfur foods at dinner, but if I eat a banana afterwards it then provides a full night of sleep.

I noticed that avoiding high tryptophan foods was being very detrimental to my sleep.
That's a good point; eggs also give me insomnia; can only have them in the morning.

Ignoramus

Oh, also not very Peaty, but it works great for me to switch to fat burning before bed. I used to eat carbs before bed, but then I would wake in the night from low blood sugar. I started not eating until a couple of hours before bed, and then I'll have some carrots and peanut butter (but I guess any fat would work; just no carbs) like an hour before sleep. Worth giving a try!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals