SLEEP

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am happy to hear that you had such good results using buckwheat honey for a sleep aid.
Were you able to replicate these results in a consistent manner, or are you still experimenting and it is to early to tell yet?
Hi J.R.K! I did not experiment with the buckwheat honey and sleep. I am trying to be sure I have a pure source. I bought a second jar sourced locally, and though it seems like it will crystallize, it seems lighter than my first jar, with maybe less minerals, but my first jar (pictured below) seems runnier than most honeys I buy, but it was highly recommended on a review of buckwheat honeys.

1700954001212.png

Cow

That is a bummer @Rinse & rePeat! I bought the huge bucket tub of that brand, and the whole tub is fully crystalized. The smell of it is super earthy and pungent. At first, I was like, holy cow, it smells like a barn! But I find it totally delicious, and eat it alone and with lots of stuff.

J.R.K

Hi J.R.K! I did not experiment with the buckwheat honey and sleep. I am trying to be sure I have a pure source. I bought a second jar sourced locally, and though it seems like it will crystallize, it seems lighter than my first jar, with maybe less minerals, but my first jar (pictured below) seems runnier than most honeys I buy, but it was highly recommended on a review of buckwheat honeys.

View attachment 58588
The colour looks good @Rinse & rePeat you could try to take some out of the jar leaving a film in the sides of the jar and see if it starts to crystallize for you. I get mine from a local apiary five minutes away, absolutely top notch products.

11193F35-A7B3-4DA6-9DDE-DEE874F37CFE.jpeg

Attachments

• 49D5AE7D-D617-43D2-80FD-7A214EDDFF75.jpeg
    49D5AE7D-D617-43D2-80FD-7A214EDDFF75.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
Rinse & rePeat
The colour looks good @Rinse & rePeat you could try to take some out of the jar leaving a film in the sides of the jar and see if it starts to crystallize for you. I get mine from a local apiary five minutes away, absolutely top notch products.

View attachment 58589
I agree the color looks good in my first jar, but I am almost done with it and it does not even hint at crystallizing.

1700962479532.jpeg

J.R.K

I agree the color looks good in my first jar, but I am almost done with it and it does not even hint at crystallizing.

View attachment 58592
How long of a period of time elapsed since you opened the jar, as well as the ambient temperature that you are storing the honey at? The photos I posted that jar was opened five days ago, our house currently sits at about sixty eight degrees Fahrenheit for context.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
How long of a period of time elapsed since you opened the jar, as well as the ambient temperature that you are storing the honey at? The photos I posted that jar was opened five days ago, our house currently sits at about sixty eight degrees Fahrenheit for context.
I opened the new jar the first week in November, like l as than three weeks ago. I rarely turn my heater on, and the temperature is 69 degrees right now in my house right, and gets in the fifties in the morning.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
@J.R.K

The first buckwheat honey, the one in question, is thinner than the new one I bought, and has more of a molasses flavor than the local one I bought, which tastes more like regular honey. The new one, pictured below, has a cloudy foamy film on the top and sides of the jar…

“Despite honey often being described as 'sticky' if you take a small amount and rub it between your thumb and finger you'll find that is doesn't actually feel that sticky to the touch. It will feel smooth and more like a cream or balm. If you've never done this, try it with a jar of our Just Bee Honey, you might be surprised that it doesn't feel sticky like glue feels sticky. If your honey does feel very sticky then that is a good sign that it has a stickier sugar syrup blended into the honey.

As you will know if you've used any of our Just Bee honey products, crystallization can start very quickly, especially once the pot has been opened. Fake honey will never crystallize in the same way. You may see some sugary mess around the top of the jar or bottle but the actual contents inside won't crystallize in the same way as real honey.”

1700965121989.jpeg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@J.R.K I put the rest of the first jar in the refrigerator to see what happens…

“…all honeys crystallise at normal room temperature, some do it more slowly than others.

Honey is a mixture of mainly simple sugars mainly fructose and glucose and the exact ratio between them is determined by the source of the nectar. This is important because glucose crystallises more readily than fructose so high glucose nectars like oil seed rape (OSR or Canola) alfalfa and clover honeys will crystallise within 24–48 hours whereas high fructose honeys like maple, tupelo, and blackberry honeys may take 6 months or more. Note that temperature is also a factor - cold encourages faster crystallisation.”

J.R.K

@J.R.K I put the rest of the first jar in the refrigerator to see what happens…

“…all honeys crystallise at normal room temperature, some do it more slowly than others.

Honey is a mixture of mainly simple sugars mainly fructose and glucose and the exact ratio between them is determined by the source of the nectar. This is important because glucose crystallises more readily than fructose so high glucose nectars like oil seed rape (OSR or Canola) alfalfa and clover honeys will crystallise within 24–48 hours whereas high fructose honeys like maple, tupelo, and blackberry honeys may take 6 months or more. Note that temperature is also a factor - cold encourages faster crystallisation.”

As a Pooh bear honey connoisseur I can concur with all of the above statements, I can confirm that the buckwheat honey that I use is thicker in the cooler months and is more liquid in the hotter months as mentioned above.
But I think if you can find a pure source, from an honest supplier there are some benefits that buckwheat honey’s attributes have that others do not in my humble opinion. I can verify based upon an unintentional experiment this past summer that it possesses both anti bacterial as well as healing qualities.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am happy to hear that you had such good results using buckwheat honey for a sleep aid.
Were you able to replicate these results in a consistent manner, or are you still experimenting and it is to early to tell yet?
Ok J.R.K I did tge buckwheat honey and egg yolk night number two last night and again the same thing, I slept a solid eight and a half straight hours through the night, without even moving my position from first hitting the pillow. The only thing I did different this time was that I soft boiled the egg yolk instead of frying in butter and I had two of them at bedtime. That was a really heavy sleep last night.

J.R.K

Ok J.R.K I did tge buckwheat honey and egg yolk night number two last night and again the same thing, I slept a solid eight and a half straight hours through the night, without even moving my position from first hitting the pillow. The only thing I did different this time was that I soft boiled the egg yolk instead of frying in butter and I had two of them at bedtime. That was a really heavy sleep last night.
That is great news @Rinse & rePeat! It is difficult to pinpoint what exactly the factors are behind your deep sleep last night. But it is interesting that you lowered the fat content by boiling rather than frying the egg yolk in butter.
I suppose that time of year, temperatures, and depending on where you are located amount of daylight plays a factor as well. At least for my own experience, I am light sensitive and need red light before bed when it gets pitch black by five in the afternoon.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That is great news @Rinse & rePeat! It is difficult to pinpoint what exactly the factors are behind your deep sleep last night. But it is interesting that you lowered the fat content by boiling rather than frying the egg yolk in butter.
I suppose that time of year, temperatures, and depending on where you are located amount of daylight plays a factor as well. At least for my own experience, I am light sensitive and need red light before bed when it gets pitch black by five in the afternoon.
I didn’t lower the fat J.R.K because though I took out the butter I added a second egg yolk, so the fat was about the same. I think is was even better sleep this way. BTW, I put that other first buckwheat honey in the refrigerator for the last couple of days and it is still not crystallizing.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The sleep-inducing effect of salty food is probably related to the anti-excitatory effects of hyperosmolarity, of adequate thyroid function, and of carbon dioxide.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The Cure

Now when I intend to go to sleep, I eliminate as much EMF (aka "Electrosmog") as possible by cutting off all electrical power (except to my refrigerator and AC/furnace) at the main circuit breaker and turning off or physically distancing myself from all battery powered electrical devices like phones and tablets and laptops.

I recommend trying the circuit breaker method rather than just manually unplugging and turning things off because A) you don't always realize the EMF being generated by various devices or appliances and B) and some devices are putting out EMF even when you think they are "off".

To wake me up, I left the curtains of a window open so that the natural sunlight would be my alarm clock. Within a few days and for a few weeks now, I have gotten tired around midnight and have woken up slowly around 9 or 10 but not later than 11 AM — and this in mid-winter and the time the sunlight wakes me up tends to correlate with how sunny or overcast it is (just as you'd expect: the brighter the day, the early it wakes me).

This may not seem like "getting up early" to some, but for a former "night owl" insomniac this is a huge improvement. I consider myself cured.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Stress, exercise, and darkness, increase the release of free fatty acids, and so promote the liberation of tryptophan and formation of serotonin.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

I ate a few salty olive oil potato chips last night, after my toasted and buttered date manna bread and a couple of oranges juiced, that I mix with water, sugar and salt, like a Gatorade, and boy did I sleep good last night, six and a half hours straight through! I am thinking those salty chips did something.

“Magnesium deficiency is extremely common, but a little extra salt in the diet makes it easier to retain the magnesium in our foods.” -Ray Peat​

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals