Correlation Between Peating And Hair Growth/Loss

Irrespective of what you believe to be the cause, have you grown or lost hair since Peating?

• I am male, and my hair has grown since Peating

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I am male, and my hair has not changed since Peating

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I am male, and I have lost hair since Peating

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • I am female, and my hair has grown since Peating

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I am female, and my hair has not changed since Peating

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I am female, and I have lost hair since Peating

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

EIRE24

I had acne but it has more to do with leaky gut = hard to digest proteins like casein and gluten. No acne whatsoever. One 250g quark and 2 days later huge cysts.. Gluten give me les acne but insane gut problems.. But these are different problems then calcium loss due to acidity from garbage like coca cola, sugar etc..
So now you just avoid dairy and gluten? I have acne problems and also some dry skin. I think it all started from introducing too many different foods at once and then I got a touch of food poisoning. Ever since then it's been bad but never the cystic kind. Is there a way to fix the leaky gut? I was thinking of trying an anti biotic but I don't want to do more damage to my stomach?

YuraCZ

So now you just avoid dairy and gluten? I have acne problems and also some dry skin. I think it all started from introducing too many different foods at once and then I got a touch of food poisoning. Ever since then it's been bad but never the cystic kind. Is there a way to fix the leaky gut? I was thinking of trying an anti biotic but I don't want to do more damage to my stomach?
Leaky gut has nothing to do with antibiotics. Btw stress can easily cause leaky gut. There are some studies on mice..

schultz

Interesting. I've been experimenting with high dose caffeine all week. I tolerate caffeine well. I can reach 400mg and get no tremors and no anxiety, even when my carbs are low.

400mg is considered a high dose? That's funny because 1 venti Starbucks coffee has 410mg of caffeine. Even the "tall" size, which is pretty small, has 260mg. Their coffee seems to have a pretty high caffeine content. :coffee

GreekDemiGod

Suffered from diffuse thinning in the past 1.5 years
Been pleating for over a month.
New baby hairs appearing everyday, at the top of my forehead, and around the temples.
At this rate, I'll be back to NW1 in a year. :D
Itchiness not completely gone, though.

Low carb was the worst for my hair.

Waremu

I caught my hair thinning in the early stages before it became noticeable. Since Peating, it has completely stopped and some new hair has grown in. But for me there is a lot more nuance to that than just saying 'Peating stopped my hair loss.' I feel I had to be very strict with it by paying attention to every single aspect Peat talks about as being the most ideal -- things many people who say they 'Peat' probably don't do, like getting a higher calcium to phosphorus ratio above 1:1 rather than just focusing on cutting out PUFA and the main common offenders. My hair is much smoother, no longer dry too. In my experience, keeping calcium to phosphorus ratio above 1:1 in conjunction to avoiding gut irritating foods and going as low PUFA as I can go without creating nutritional imbalances gave me the best results. I notice shedding again if I go for a prolonged period of time eating lower calcium or lower calcium and more phosphorus. Parathyroid hormone and cortisol seems to have been my biggest offenders. I ate no dairy/calcium, and would usually eat no breakfast and go to bed late (I now go to bed early and wake up early and try to get enough sun for at least 15 minutes within the first two hours of waking up). All recipes for higher cortisol and PTH. Focusing on foods which are high in B vitamins and getting enough choline and gelatin I believe has also helped. My biotin intake form chicken liver daily has really given me good results in hair thickness and smoothness as well.

GreekDemiGod

@Waremu What do you think is a minimum Calcium to Phosphorus ratio, for this purpose?
My Cronometer data for past 7 days puts me at 1.3 g : 2.0 g, so not ideal. But it seems milk is my highest contributor of Phosphorus:eek:

Waremu

@Waremu What do you think is a minimum Calcium to Phosphorus ratio, for this purpose?
My Cronometer data for past 7 days puts me at 1.3 g : 2.0 g, so not ideal. But it seems milk is my highest contributor of Phosphorus:eek:

I am not sure what the exact ratio is that has worked for me, but I notice that as long as I am comfortably above a ratio of 1:1, I never have shedding. That is also when I so happened to notice my cavities that I had go away. I generally try to stay within a few hundred mg of calcium above my phosphorus amount...so around at least a 1.2 calcium to phosphorus ratio and as much as 1.5:1 calcium to phosphorus. So an example would be 2500 mg calcium and 2000 mg phosphorus. Milk does indeed have a good amount of phosphorus, but it is bound with the calcium and it still has more calcium than phosphorus so you're always getting more calcium over phosphorus, yielding a decent calcium to phosphorus ratio. Grains and meat can really put you out of the C to P ratio-balance, so I eat little meat or lower phosphorus meats like Cod and if I eat starches, I avoid grains and choose starchy tubers over grains, but more specifically sweet potatoes over regular potatoes as they have a better C to P ratio. White and purple sweet potatoes for the most part lack the beta carotene the orange ones have, so I like those. White sweet potatoes taste very much like the golden regular ones so one could use those for things like mashed potatoes and notice no huge difference. I love the taste. White rice is also good in that it isn't high in phosphorus but you are lacking many of the vitamins and minerals you need for proper carbohydrate metabolism in my opinion, so I wouldn't eat much white rice if I choose to eat starch, unless it is accompanied with plenty of cooked greens which will give many of the minerals and vitamins needed that are missing, like many Asian cultures traditionally do when they eat white rice. I regularly get blood work done and I also have noted a very close correlation to lower C to P intake and higher prolactin and PTH, which agrees with the research Peat has mentioned. Prolactin/PTH always increased when I experimented outside of a ideal C to P ratio, and was the lowest when calcium to phos. was at a more ideal ratio of 1.2:1-1.5:1. But others may want to experiment with that as well. My prolactin is currently (last I tested it, which was recently) around 3.

Last edited:

Bushido1

I am one of the unlucky cases who has lost lots of hair even if strictly following a Peaty diet.

I don't blame this on the diet 100% since I also went through very stressful times (breakup, etc.).

Still unsure if the diet works or not since you probably need a few years to really see results.

Stramonium

I have lost some hair while peating, but I feel much better. I think so many people are very estrogenic, which keeps anabolic bone growth from T from occurring, and so they can avoid skull expansion and losing hair. I had a huge mane of hair for many years, but felt awful. I took Estroban for a long period of time and I have hair recession but I feel great.

Could you expand on this? I noticed some shedding when using ProgestE, and my head shape seems different too

Tarmander

Could you expand on this? I noticed some shedding when using ProgestE, and my head shape seems different too
Not really sure, was three years ago. I do generally feel better when I am losing hair and not as good when I am keeping my hair. Strange

Waremu

What are your main sources of calcium?

I think stopping magnesium supplements has been great for me. Probably consistently crashing my calcium.

I have long consumed dairy. Mainly A-2 organic raw low fat milk and goat milk for my calcium. High intakes of those foods were correlated to my best hair health phase. It's still good now, and I handle dairy just fine, but I am currently doing an experiment with very low to no diary, so my main calcium source is greens like bok choy/mustard greens and oranges. Those two types of food can really give me a good amount of calcium as long as my diet is centered around lower phosphorus lean protein and carbs, like cod and sweet potato, etc.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I have long consumed dairy. Mainly A-2 organic raw low fat milk and goat milk for my calcium. High intakes of those foods were correlated to my best hair health phase. It's still good now, and I handle dairy just fine, but I am currently doing an experiment with very low to no diary, so my main calcium source is greens like bok choy/mustard greens and oranges. Those two types of food can really give me a good amount of calcium as long as my diet is centered around lower phosphorus lean protein and carbs, like cod and sweet potato, etc.

Very cool man!! Thanks for sharing.

JDreamer

Suffered from diffuse thinning in the past 1.5 years
Been pleating for over a month.
New baby hairs appearing everyday, at the top of my forehead, and around the temples.
At this rate, I'll be back to NW1 in a year. :D
Itchiness not completely gone, though.

Low carb was the worst for my hair.

Looking back, I think what really pushed things over the edge was when I went very low carb and literally avoiding sugar at all costs. Prior to that, it was mostly just some temple recession and excess sebum/greasy hair.

I can still remember the day looking in the mirror seeing my scalp thinking what the hell just happened? I must've had one major shed that morning in the shower to really tip things over into crisis mode.

Man come to think of it, I used to be a big time milk drinker and that was also one of these things I cut out about 10 years ago before this journey started. There's no way in hell I was getting adequate calcium to balance out the phosphorus I was getting from all the meat and protein I was ingesting.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals