Do dogs harbour risk factors for human breast cancer?

Nicole W.

Certainly dogs are easier to deal with than children. There are a lot of bad parents who unconsciously resent their children for laying bare how hollow and sickly they are as adults, and for making them acutely aware of their own failings. Dogs are notoriously slavish and devoted even to owners that mistreat them, whereas children are less inherently servile and require exponentially more investment and effort to raise well.

Glorifying pitbulls is now something of an American pastime, and parallels certain other socio-cultural pathologies in that country (and other countries, including my own).
Have you every owned a pitbull? It sounds like you know a lot about why people have them.

Jennifer

Have you every owned a pitbull? It sounds like you know a lot about why people have them.

Pit bulls are great! I used to hike with a guy who had a gorgeous white one he named Sugah after Sugar Ray Leonard. There was a time in his life when he struggled with addiction and almost overdosed and Sugah saved him. She was one of the chillest dogs I had ever met, and as sweet as her name. She used take naps in the middle of the trail. She would be passed out cold, while hikers climbed over her to get by. lol

peter88

0886A25E-6083-4894-8363-A9FF4DA42063.jpeg

Nicole W.

Okay, this type of thing is a cliche at this point and I am not even sure how true it is anymore to be honest. In the last decade or so there has been a movement towards rehabilitating the reputation of these unfairly maligned animals. There is a variety of reasons why these dogs got a bad rap, but I can tell you there are probably more Pitt bull rescue organizations than for any other breed, and that is no accident. They are worthy of the time, effort and energy people/ groups invest in saving them from being euthanized and finding homes for them.
These dogs are not meant for lazy dog owners though. Any protection breed requires experienced owners that Train consistently and understand/respect the breed’s nature.
To be honest, I used to be like you, having a very negative perception of these animals. But then, one day, I unexpectedly ended up with one. My daughter brought her home and I was really angry. We had little dogs and I was worried for them. I was worried the thing would snap and bite one of our faces off. I mean, those are the only stories you ever hear, right? Anyway, that dog turned out to be wonderful. Loving, chill and patient.
Currently, my kids, husband and I have 7 dogs: 2 Pitt Bulls, 3 Dobermans, a miniature schnauzer and a 3 legged maltipoo. Guess who is the most aggressive out of the bunch.😉

peter88

Looking into all the zoonotic diseases dogs carry

I suspect there's a parasite they are a definitive host (reproduces sexually in the organism) or a reservoir host for with mind altering properties- high jacking the maternal and paternal neural pathways of humans (intermediate hosts), much like the toxoplasma gondii in cats which alters brains (of mice most notably). Would explain the increasing prevalence of such behaviour

Resize_Blog_Featured_Pic_d4ef8952-cd8e-4556-9277-0c8ab982f946.png
Currently, my kids, husband and I have 7 dogs
You know what, I think you may be onto something. Maybe a parasite does exist…

PhilParma

There is a variety of reasons why these dogs got a bad rap, but I can tell you there are probably more Pitt bull rescue organizations than for any other breed, and that is no accident.
Probably the main reason that there are so many Pitbull Rescues is that so many owners give up their pitbulls after a bite/attack/event.

Your positive anecdote doesn't negate the statistical fact that the pitbull breed disproportionately attacks and kills other living organisms. It's not their fault, it's what they were bred to do.

edit: I hate myself for using the term "statistical fact", but if you disagree with the notion that pitbulls attack and kill much more often than other breeds, then we can discuss it.

Last edited:
Okay, this type of thing is a cliche at this point and I am not even sure how true it is anymore to be honest. In the last decade or so there has been a movement towards rehabilitating the reputation of these unfairly maligned animals. [...]
Since we are all friends here I hope you won't mind me saying the bolded sentence is horribly ironic given the barrage of clichés which follow immediately.

Nicole W.

Probably the main reason that there are so many Pitbull Rescues is that so many owners give up their pitbulls after a bite/attack/event.

Your positive anecdote doesn't negate the statistical fact that the pitbull breed disproportionately attacks and kills other living organisms. It's not their fault, it's what they were bred to do.
This is actually a recent phenomenon, and the causes are not well understood. Reports of Pitt bill attacks were virtually nonexistent prior to the 1980’s and historically the breed was described as nanny dogs, because they remained near the children in the family home. Pitt Bulls have a long history that certainly predates their introduction here in the US. They were never recognized as violent or dangerous.

After the 1980’s, dog fights came into fashion once again and then drug dealers started using them as protection dogs. This changed the perception of this breed and then breed specific laws were enacted in response to these cultural changes.

PhilParma

@Nicole W. , I actively disagree with most of what you just wrote, and I suspect that the remainder of what you wrote is also incorrect, but I would have to do research in order to effectively counter argue it. The "nanny dog" stuff is, frankly, laughable. If you want to create a thread about pitbulls then I will discuss the matter with you in a civil manner, but I don't want to participate in derailing this particular thread any further. I'm glad that you've had a positive experience with pitbulls.

Nicole W.

Since we are all friends here I hope you won't mind me saying the bolded sentence is horribly ironic given the barrage of clichés which follow immediately.
Which cliches are you referring to? I’m just sharing my personal experience with these dogs. Does it anger you that it’s been good? If so, why?

There are thousands of other bully breed owners that would likely tell you they also enjoy their dogs. The cliche is the idea that all Pitt bulls are bad. This is a ridiculous generalization. Dogs are a lot like people, some are nice some aren’t. Any dog can be dangerous, but they don’t come out of the womb that way.

Nicole W.

@Nicole W. , I actively disagree with most of what you just wrote, and I suspect that the remainder of what you wrote is also incorrect, but I would have to do research in order to effectively counter argue it. The "nanny dog" stuff is, frankly, laughable. If you want to create a thread about pitbulls then I will discuss the matter with you in a civil manner, but I don't want to participate in derailing this particular thread any further. I'm glad that you've had a positive experience with pitbulls.
Feel free to disagree, I don’t mind at all. If you take the time to look into the breed’s history you would probably be surprised by what you find out.

Nicole W.

Here is a collection of over 50 photos from the turn of the century featuring children/ families with their pit bulls in case your interested in changing your mind. I don’t think these parents would trust having these dogs around their children, let alone photograph them, if they thought they were dangerous or violent.

Normal Human

Here is a collection of over 50 photos from the turn of the century featuring children/ families with their pit bulls in case your interested in changing your mind. I don’t think these parents would trust having these dogs around their children, let alone photograph them, if they thought they were dangerous or violent.
I'm sorry, but this is like showing us pictures of people riding motorcycles and trying to tell us that this is proof that they're "just as safe" as driving a car (if the article came from a website selling motorcycles).

PhilParma

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals