Does long term cypro use cause histamine intolerance? Trying to understand the mechanism of anti-histamines.

dervmai

progress
Can long term cyproheptadine use cause histamine intolerance? My thinking is that long term use of cypro (2mg per day) over say the course of like 6 months, can cause adaptive changes to the h1 receptors. Since the antihistamines are blocking the histamines at the h1 receptor, could that some how decrease the amount of h1 receptors there are. Causing someone to become more sensitive to histamine due to a down regulation? I don't know if this is the mechanism of how anti histamines work. Would like some input on this thanks!

Den Sha Otoko

Nope it won't cause histamine intolerance, I been using it for years. It just block all histamine as well as serotonin. But you may need to increase dosage over time as your body becomes acclimatize to it.

Ultimately, you need to address the root cause of your histamine issue. i.e. stress / diet etc.

Morten

Forum Supporter
Did you resolve your histamin issue?

What about taken cyproheptadine on/off to avoid acclimazation ?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
From experience, it doesn't for its antihistamine effect.

It does seem to build tolerance against its sleep inducing effects, at least for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals