Hamsters with niacin/vitamin b3 deficiency cannibalize their young

imcoconut

"This study shows that maize-based diets cause high rates of maternal infanticides in the European hamster, a farmland species on the verge of extinction in Western Europe. Vitamin B3 supplementation is shown to effectively restore reproductive success in maize-fed females. This study pinpoints how nutritional deficiencies caused by maize monoculture could affect farmland animal reproduction and hence their fitness."

This seems like pretty extreme behavior from a vitamin deficiency.

This is the problem with all grains, they take vitamins and minerals from the body, calcium especially, and cause cavities, bone loss and, as you have pointed out here, more. I have switched to sprouted grains and they feel much better. I haven’t come across sprouted corn yet though.

Runenight201

super interesting. How many other psychological disorders are just nutritional deficiencies? Are they all just nutritional deficiencies? Is evil itself just a nutritional deficiency?

“niacin deficiency can occur through genetic disorders, malabsorptive conditions, and interaction with certain medications.”

“Niacin deficiency can occur from a lack of consuming dietary sources containing niacin.[6] In dietary sources, niacin is present in fish, meats, and fortified foods such as cereal, bread, and legumes. To a lesser extent, niacin is in coffee, tea, and nuts. During meat processing, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP) can become hydrolyzed to free nicotinamide. In some foods, such as corn, niacin can be covalently bound to carbohydrates or small peptides, decreasing the bioavailability for absorption in the small intestines. Therefore, some of the earliest signs of pellagra occurred in populations consuming a high corn-based diet.“

OP
I

imcoconut

This is the problem with all grains, they take vitamins and minerals from the body, calcium especially, and cause cavities, bone loss and, as you have pointed out here, more. I have switched to sprouted grains and they feel much better. I haven’t come across sprouted corn yet though.

Interesting, I remember someone - possibly ray - discussing a traditional method for processing corn and corn tortillas in south america that somehow makes niacin available. There's often wisdom and knowledge baked into traditional methods of food prep.

OP
I

imcoconut

super interesting. How many other psychological disorders are just nutritional deficiencies? Are they all just nutritional deficiencies? Is evil itself just a nutritional deficiency?

I've wondered something similar. I think a lot psychological and psychiatric disorders can be traced to a nutritional deficiency (either from the diet, or a functional deficiency due to other toxins or confounding factors). I wonder what the analogous representation of infanticide would be with humans. Certainly a material number of people are niacin deficient, and yet we don't see infanticide - but perhaps other forms of child abuse and neglect by parents could be approximating it - idk.

Runenight201

I've wondered something similar. I think a lot psychological and psychiatric disorders can be traced to a nutritional deficiency (either from the diet, or a functional deficiency due to other toxins or confounding factors). I wonder what the analogous representation of infanticide would be with humans. Certainly a material number of people are niacin deficient, and yet we don't see infanticide - but perhaps other forms of child abuse and neglect by parents could be approximating it - idk.

There’s a growing number of people who are antinatalist/efilist. They claim that their own personal suffering doesn’t play into why they hold those philosophical positions, but I don’t buy it for a second. I believe by and large they suffer a lot personally due to compromised metabolisms, and thus conclude life is suffering and reproduction immoral.

Even trying to convey a message that life can be positive, filled with positive hormones/emotions/experiences gets ridiculed by them. They view pleasure as the temporary absence from pain.

Interesting, I remember someone - possibly ray - discussing a traditional method for processing corn and corn tortillas in south america that somehow makes niacin available. There's often wisdom and knowledge baked into traditional methods of food prep.
Oh that is the masa, where they use lime to break it down. Sprouted grains he talks highly of too, which is what I have been eating nowadays. He says soaking and sprouting the grains makes them more of a vegetable than a grain….

View: https://youtu.be/FiAAqEB1fjw

alephx

I forget where this was, but someone linked here a study where higher grains consumption per capita leads to higher schizophrenia.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom