Head Injury

P

Peatress

@Peatress -My brother-in-law has Parkinson's (chemical injury to the brain?) and he has very positive things to say about infrared light. He has been using a large panel of red LEDs twice daily for about 7 weeks. The image in the article above may be misdirecting in that more lights may be needed. I am beginning to explore red light for Parkinson's here.
Thanks David. Unfortunately I've had to give up on red light because of bruising.

P

Peatress

Using red light again but at a distance that doesn't induce bruising.

P

Peatress

Disorders of sodium balance after brain injury

Cerebral salt wasting after traumatic brain injury: a review of the literature

P

Peatress

David PS

P

Peatress

David PS

Published: 07 March 2023

Conclusion:​

α-GPC alone or in combination with donepezil improved cognition, behavior, and functional outcomes among patients with neurological conditions associated with cerebrovascular injury.

P

Peatress

I think it was a mistake to rely on food alone for my vitamin c. I seem to need more than my diet can provide. Started supplementing LGS vitamin C today in addition to food sources.

A study to assess antioxidant depletion in patients additionally showed that those with intracranial hemorrhage and head trauma had lower plasma levels of vitamin C than controls, and that its levels were significantly inversely correlated with the several outcomes of the disease (i.e., severity of the neurological impairment and diameter of the lesion).

Last edited by a moderator:

David PS

Most people in the US are reported to be magnesium deficient.

Abstract​

Major depression is a mood disorder characterized by a sense of inadequacy, despondency, decreased activity, pessimism, anhedonia and sadness where these symptoms severely disrupt and adversely affect the person's life, sometimes to such an extent that suicide is attempted or results. Antidepressant drugs are not always effective and some have been accused of causing an increased number of suicides particularly in young people. Magnesium deficiency is well known to produce neuropathologies. Only 16% of the magnesium found in whole wheat remains in refined flour, and magnesium has been removed from most drinking water supplies, setting a stage for human magnesium deficiency. Magnesium ions regulate calcium ion flow in neuronal calcium channels, helping to regulate neuronal nitric oxide production. In magnesium deficiency, neuronal requirements for magnesium may not be met, causing neuronal damage which could manifest as depression. Magnesium treatment is hypothesized to be effective in treating major depression resulting from intraneuronal magnesium deficits. These magnesium ion neuronal deficits may be induced by stress hormones, excessive dietary calcium as well as dietary deficiencies of magnesium. Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125-300 mg of magnesium (as glycinate and taurinate) with each meal and at bedtime. Magnesium was found usually effective for treatment of depression in general use. Related and accompanying mental illnesses in these case histories including traumatic brain injury, headache, suicidal ideation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, postpartum depression, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco abuse, hypersensitivity to calcium, short-term memory loss and IQ loss were also benefited. Dietary deficiencies of magnesium, coupled with excess calcium and stress may cause many cases of other related symptoms including agitation, anxiety, irritability, confusion, asthenia, sleeplessness, headache, delirium, hallucinations and hyperexcitability, with each of these having been previously documented. The possibility that magnesium deficiency is the cause of most major depression and related mental health problems including IQ loss and addiction is enormously important to public health and is recommended for immediate further study. Fortifying refined grain and drinking water with biologically available magnesium to pre-twentieth century levels is recommended.

P

Peatress

I don't understand why this would be the case

"The presence of severe head injury was associated with lower levels of TSH and free T3."

P

Peatress

David PS

P

Peatress

iu

P

Peatress

Progesterone is being used to treat brain injuries, very successfully. It protects against inflammation, and in an early study, compared to placebo, lowered mortality by more than half. It's instructive to consider its anticholinergic role in the uterus, in relation to its brain protective effects. When the brain is poisoned by an organophosphate insecticide, which lowers the activity of cholinesterase, seizures are likely to occur, and treatment with progesterone can prevent those seizures, reversing the inhibition of the enzyme (and increasing the activity of cholinesterase in rats that weren't poisoned) (Joshi, et al., 2010). Similar effects of progesterone on cholinesterase occur in menstrually cycling women (Fairbrother, et al., 1989), implying that this is a general function of progesterone, not just something to protect pregnancy. Estrogen, with similar generality, decreases the activity of cholinesterase. DHEA, like progesterone, increases the activity of cholinesterase, and is brain protective (Aly, et al., 2011).

Brain trauma consistently leads to decreased activity of this enzyme (Östberg, et al., 2011; Donat, et al., 2007), causing the acetylcholine produced in the brain to accumulate, with many interesting consequences. In 1997, a group (Pike, et al.) created brain injuries in rats to test the idea that a cholinesterase inhibitor would improve their recovery and ability to move through a maze. They found instead that it reduced the cognitive ability of both the injured and normal rats. An anticholinergic drug, selegeline (deprenyl) that is used to treat Parkinson's disease and, informally, as a mood altering antiaging drug, was found by a different group (Zhu, et al., 2000) to improve cognitive recovery from brain injuries. Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals