High Dose Taurine To Reverse Tinnitus

Ficini

I have just read a study that significantly attenuated tinnitus in rats using high doses of taurine.
The Effect of Supplemental Dietary Taurine on Tinnitus and Auditory Discrimination in an Animal Model

The high dose was 294 mg/kg/day which would mean 25 grams daily for me!!!
Anyone experienced dose this high?

In the study they exposed the animals to a loud sound to induce tinnitus. This happened to me. I'm a rock musician, constantly exposed to a loud sound. 6 years ago I developed tinnitus, when I was a vegan, so probably deficient in taurine, among many other nutrients. My tinnitus is a hiss sound generated by the brain, because I can't hear anything above 8000 hz. It is the way the brain tries to make up for the lost sound.

KurtisL

I've used roughly 30g a day before, although it was for only one day. For me its noticeable benefits stop after 5g or so, however im not treating something as measurable as tinnitus..

25g wont kill you but its a high dose if taken routinely your beta-alanine levels will be depleted if not supplemented alongside taurine as they compete for absorption AFAIK, hopefully somebody more versed in physiology than I could chime in on other potential side effects

IIRC people have reported bad GI distress from relatively low doses so don't rush to 25g whatever you do :)

OP
Ficini

Ficini

I've used roughly 30g a day before, although it was for only one day. For me its noticeable benefits stop after 5g or so, however im not treating something as measurable as tinnitus..

25g wont kill you but its a high dose if taken routinely your beta-alanine levels will be depleted if not supplemented alongside taurine as they compete for absorption AFAIK, hopefully somebody more versed in physiology than I could chime in on other potential side effects

IIRC people have reported bad GI distress from relatively low doses so don't rush to 25g whatever you do :)
Thank you!
After I've searched the forum I noticed some other people used high dose Taurine (ex. Haidut 15g/day for one month). I will try to increase it slowly and see how high can I get. :)

tankasnowgod

The high dose was 294 mg/kg/day which would mean 25 grams daily for me!!!
Anyone experienced dose this high?

You don't need a dose that high. There is a standard for finding the human equivalent dose, and for rats, you divide the dose by 6.2- A simple practice guide for dose conversion between animals and human

This should probably be about 4 grams for you, which is pretty reasonable. It's still wise to ramp up slowly, and maybe divide the dose, to avoid any GI issues.

OP
Ficini

Ficini

You don't need a dose that high. There is a standard for finding the human equivalent dose, and for rats, you divide the dose by 6.2- A simple practice guide for dose conversion between animals and human

This should probably be about 4 grams for you, which is pretty reasonable. It's still wise to ramp up slowly, and maybe divide the dose, to avoid any GI issues.
Thank you.
This corelates with some figures I've seen, people reporting that there is a plateau at 5 grams and beyond this there are no other benefits.

SunGoddess

@Ficini
Keep us posted. I've dealt with tinnitus since I was a kid. Would love to find something that helps even a little bit.

ddjd

taurine definitely does reduce my tinnitus .

but you have to take it with sufficient minerals, so I always take my 3-4g with lots of milk for the calcium, some magnesium malate/ glycinate, salt and potassium (cream of tartar).

it's a really effective "cocktail"

OP
Ficini

Ficini

Yes, I have plenty of milk, cheese and salt in my diet. I usually disolve the taurine in milk. I do supplement with magnesium on the skin (which works, proven by my blood work). I don't supplement with potassium, cause I eat lots of fruits and I don't think it is necessary.
I am now 5 days into my taurine protocol. I started with 4 grams, then I increased the dose to about 12 grams. At this high dose, I felt like I was drunk, exhausted, talking a lot and about things I didn't want to talk. LOL. Then, I went back to 4 grams, which feels ok, without adverse effects (2 grams in the morning, 2 grams in the evening). This is the dose that corelates with the dose used on rats in the study.
I don't see yet any improvements on the level of tinnitus, other than sometimes it gets lower. Also, when I do a hearing test, I can notice some sound in different range like 15k hz and 17k hz, which I haven't heard before. So maybe there is some healing going on.

Yes, I have plenty of milk, cheese and salt in my diet. I usually disolve the taurine in milk. I do supplement with magnesium on the skin (which works, proven by my blood work). I don't supplement with potassium, cause I eat lots of fruits and I don't think it is necessary.
I am now 5 days into my taurine protocol. I started with 4 grams, then I increased the dose to about 12 grams. At this high dose, I felt like I was drunk, exhausted, talking a lot and about things I didn't want to talk. LOL. Then, I went back to 4 grams, which feels ok, without adverse effects (2 grams in the morning, 2 grams in the evening). This is the dose that corelates with the dose used on rats in the study.
I don't see yet any improvements on the level of tinnitus, other than sometimes it gets lower. Also, when I do a hearing test, I can notice some sound in different range like 15k hz and 17k hz, which I haven't heard before. So maybe there is some healing going on.

It is incredibly helpful when you report such findings. I look forward to hearing an update. Thank you.

accelerator

Any difference so far?

redsun

Used to have tinnitus often especially at night coupled with trouble sleeping because of ruminating thoughts. Didnt bother me much but a benefit of raising histamine was tinnitus is now basically nonexistent. Low histamine causes tinnitus, but super high histamine can cause it as well.

Taurine may be helping excrete copper by increasing bile.

OP
Ficini

Ficini

Any difference so far?
None yet. I also explore now the idea of magnesium deficiency, so I supplement with magnesium chloride along with taurine supplementation. Since I've started this, my tinnitus did change, now it is higher pitched and stronger which is interesting.
I want to do a carotid calcification score, because I have a hunch that 7 years of veganism and endurance running had that effect on my arteries and that may also cause tinnitus.
Also, there is a "open your throat" stretch suggested on this thread. When I do that stretch, my tinnitus is getting stronger and higher pitched, which means it can have a connection with the arteries and collapsed muscles.

Used to have tinnitus often especially at night coupled with trouble sleeping because of ruminating thoughts. Didnt bother me much but a benefit of raising histamine was tinnitus is now basically nonexistent. Low histamine causes tinnitus, but super high histamine can cause it as well.

Taurine may be helping excrete copper by increasing bile.
It's the first time I hear that low histamine could cause tinnitus. I always thought if I have a problem, it has to be high histamine. How do you rise your histamines and why would they be low in the first place? I've heard modafinil does that.

Max23

None yet. I also explore now the idea of magnesium deficiency, so I supplement with magnesium chloride along with taurine supplementation. Since I've started this, my tinnitus did change, now it is higher pitched and stronger which is interesting.
I want to do a carotid calcification score, because I have a hunch that 7 years of veganism and endurance running had that effect on my arteries and that may also cause tinnitus.
Also, there is a "open your throat" stretch suggested on this thread. When I do that stretch, my tinnitus is getting stronger and higher pitched, which means it can have a connection with the arteries and collapsed muscles.

It's the first time I hear that low histamine could cause tinnitus. I always thought if I have a problem, it has to be high histamine. How do you rise your histamines and why would they be low in the first place? I've heard modafinil does that.

What if you move your jaw to the left or right does the tinnitus sound change? Do you have I deviated septum? I believe my tinnitus was caused by it. Somehow it also affects the blood flow. In addition to magnesium, supplements that change the sound of tinnitus for me are thiamine, aspirin and even niacin. All have an effect on blood flow.

B

Braveheart

Just had a case of flu/cold...charcoal is just one of the things that kills the flu for me quickly...and completely stops my serious tinnitus. Hasn't Dr. Peat already mentioned these results from charcoal?....endotoxin is the culprit...yes, I know, hard to believe.

OP
Ficini

Ficini

What if you move your jaw to the left or right does the tinnitus sound change? Do you have I deviated septum? I believe my tinnitus was caused by it. Somehow it also affects the blood flow. In addition to magnesium, supplements that change the sound of tinnitus for me are thiamine, aspirin and even niacin. All have an effect on blood flow.
Yes, I do have a problem with deviated septum. Back in 2009, I had a surgery. That time the doctor told me that I should have another one. I suspect that he didn't do much cause I didn't bribe him (customary in Romania). Anyways, given the pain I've been through, I didn't consider having another operation. I will do some investigations now. My tinnitus started in 2013, about 3 years into my veganism, so I guess it has more to do with that then with the deviated septum, but the condition probably makes things worse. First time when I took B1, about 250mg the tinnitus got lower. After that there wasn't such a big change. Aspirin usually amplifies it.

Just had a case of flu/cold...charcoal is just one of the things that kills the flu for me quickly...and completely stops my serious tinnitus. Hasn't Dr. Peat already mentioned these results from charcoal?....endotoxin is the culprit...yes, I know, hard to believe.
In all these years, the only time my tinnitus got really low, like almost unnoticeable, was when I was really sick with a flu. It was so bad I stood in bad for one week, eating very little food. So maybe the virus had some action over the bacteria.
I should mention that during the veganism I tried some long water fasts (like 7 days or 23 the longest), hoping to cure tinnitus, but it only got worse during the water fast and much worse when re-feeding. I'm mentioning this to point out that the low tinnitus during the flu was due to other causes, not from not eating too much.

redsun

I think its mostly about reducing the effects of copper in the brain and stress. Loud sounds are stress and cause tinnitus which everyone knows as well having a intense bout of stress can also trigger it (I've experienced that personally). Stress increases adrenal hormones (noradrenaline needs copper), and so does copper and they oppose/reduce histamine.

Just a few days ago I ate a lot of potatoes during the day and I would say I got about 2.5mg of copper from just them plus copper from other foods when I usually get less than .9mg of copper a day. Same day tinnitus just comes back just like that. Copper seems to easily trigger it for me, same thing if I take a copper supplement (which I never do anymore).

Super high histamines can be stressful to the body and also potentially trigger it but most people don't have histamine high enough.

Not a lot of solid data on it but to give an example of how histamine may help, the drug Betahistine is a weak agonist of H1 receptor and strong antagonist of H3 (which raises histamine as well as other neurotransmitters) has been used to treat Meniere's disease with symptoms of vertigo, tinnitus, hearing loss and somewhat helps tinnitus.

What causes low histamine is generally very high capacity to methylate and copper. So an excess of nutrients that promote methylation (meaning more histamine can be deactivated by methylation) and lots of copper (which promotes methylation and also breaks down histamine via DAO). There is likely a genetic factor to it as well. So reducing methylation via niacinamide or niacin which uses up methyl groups so histamine raises and adrenaline lowers (as noradrenaline has to be methylated to become adrenaline) does reduce it in the short term.

I have other posts you can search where I go in detail I made about the natural ways of promoting histamine through certain principles but for histamine to go from low to normal levels in someone who is histapenic (low histamine) takes a lot of time and may not even work as well considering there is likely genetic factors. Also a slow metabolism may prevent histamine from raising. You aren't going to get much histamine if metabolism is too slow no matter what you do. Some supplements like NAC and caffeine inhibit DAO as well as fermented foods tend to promote more histamine. (caffeine also raises adrenaline though)

Some of my previous posts about it:
Overmethylation Or Undermethylation & B-vitamins

Anti-Peat - Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

One Year Of "Peating"

There are more posts you can check but those provide a good amount of info.

EDIT: I should say a direct way would to raise histamine higher quickly is of course herbs or medicines that accomplish it but theoretically taking 1-2g histidine plus active B6 on an empty stomach should raise histamine substantially. Never tried it but I think I will either today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

redsun

Its not the direct culprit, but if the endotoxin promotes enough stress it can trigger tinnitus just like too much of any other kind of stress.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals