How much should I be eating?

P

Peatness

The title is a rhetorical question because the answer is variable depending on one’s lifestyle and metabolic status. Some useful interviews for those wanting to figure out how much they should be eating to maintain well being. Please add interviews, articles, or your own experiences.

Ray Peat on general calorie requirements (for sedentary woman).​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mbxGz0i3YE

#55: Bioenergetic Nutrition Basics | "The Ray Peat Diet" | Appetite and Metabolism with Ray Peat​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f06rVi8iXfI

Ray Peat on PUFA causing free radicals, fat free diet extending lifespan, cancer.​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOP-qpdLdo8

Jennifer

The title is a rhetorical question because the answer is variable depending on one’s lifestyle and metabolic status. Some useful interviews for those wanting to figure out how much they should be eating to maintain well being. Please add interviews, articles, or your own experiences.

For me, too many calories is just as bad as too few—trying to get a certain minimum per day, based on some well-intended but harmful advice, landed me in the emergency room—and not all calories are equal. With energy expenditure being equal, on a low protein, fruit-based diet, I needed over 3000 calories daily to maintain my weight and a healthy temp, but I experienced muscle wasting and never felt satiated whereas, on a diet with twice as much protein, I only need around 2500 calories daily to maintain my weight, a healthy temp and muscle mass, and to satisfy my appetite.

L

Lord Cola

I try to eat an amount of protein and fat that I need to feel stable, and if I have access to good fruits, I eat sugar whenever I desire it, without limiting myself. I salt everything I eat. Eating about half of my protein intake as gelatin helps me find a good balance between protein and other foods. I get about 3000 calories or more daily.

For me, too many calories is just as bad as too few—trying to get a certain minimum per day, based on some well-intended but harmful advice, landed me in the emergency room—and not all calories are equal. With energy expenditure being equal, on a low protein, fruit-based diet, I needed over 3000 calories daily to maintain my weight and a healthy temp, but I experienced muscle wasting and never felt satiated whereas, on a diet with twice as much protein, I only need around 2500 calories daily to maintain my weight, a healthy temp and muscle mass, and to satisfy my appetite.
I agree with you. Finding that happy spot for the right amount of calories is trial and error. I definitely think more protein is necessary for optimum health..well it is for me. But I base that on being a type O blood type which apparently needs more protein than other blood types. Yeah, I know a lot of people don’t buy that, but it works for me. I have to have higher protein in order to feel optimum.

OP
P

Peatness

@FocusedOnHealth I didn't know that about type O blood type. A friend of mine is really into the blood type diet and seems to do well on it. She is blood type O.

@Lord Cola do you think with gelatin it's important to have meat rather than milk as the other source of protein.

Cloudhands

people think that functional metabolism = more calories burned, and they get fat on the peat diet. An efficient metabolism would mean that you have low or no symptoms, but dont need too many calories because your body can make more energy from less resources. Like peat says, pay attention to symptoms, mood, temperature, pulse etc. to put together a good picture, and then to determine how much you should be eating pay attention to hunger signals and look in the mirror.

L

Lord Cola

@Lord Cola do you think with gelatin it's important to have meat rather than milk as the other source of protein.
I don't eat much meat so I don't know about that. I dissolve gelatin in milk, or have some oxtail soup with milk. This has been very helpful for me for reducing or eliminating persistent pain in previously chronically inflamed areas.

OP
P

Peatness

I don't eat much meat so I don't know about that. I dissolve gelatin in milk, or have some oxtail soup with milk. This has been very helpful for me for reducing or eliminating persistent pain in previously chronically inflamed areas.
Thanks. I do this too. Helps with sleep issues too.

OP
P

Peatness

This is the one I use. I add this to milk and boil

1650308588446.png

@FocusedOnHealth I didn't know that about type O blood type. A friend of mine is really into the blood type diet and seems to do well on it. She is blood type O.

For me, I find this is pretty accurate as a type O blood type. Now it does say I should avoid dairy but I love dairy and milk. So it’s not cut and dry….I’m sure there are variables with everyone because we are all different

Jennifer

I agree with you. Finding that happy spot for the right amount of calories is trial and error. I definitely think more protein is necessary for optimum health..well it is for me. But I base that on being a type O blood type which apparently needs more protein than other blood types. Yeah, I know a lot of people don’t buy that, but it works for me. I have to have higher protein in order to feel optimum.

That’s interesting. I think @Rinse & rePeat had good results with the blood type diet. I need what seems to me to be a lot of protein for my size so I’d be curious to see if that aligns with my blood type, but I don’t know mine.

That’s interesting. I think @Rinse & rePeat had good results with the blood type diet. I need what seems to me to be a lot of protein for my size so I’d be curious to see if that aligns with my blood type, but I don’t know mine.

I used this home test kit to find out my blood type in minutes.

Attachments

• F00B037C-387C-4739-947B-0843ACDC2C00.jpeg
    F00B037C-387C-4739-947B-0843ACDC2C00.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 17

Jennifer

Thank you for sharing the test kit you used, @Rinse & rePeat. I did a quick search and supposedly, if I call the lab where I get my blood work done, they should be able to tell me my blood type.

Lollipop2

people think that functional metabolism = more calories burned, and they get fat on the peat diet. An efficient metabolism would mean that you have low or no symptoms, but dont need too many calories because your body can make more energy from less resources. Like peat says, pay attention to symptoms, mood, temperature, pulse etc. to put together a good picture, and then to determine how much you should be eating pay attention to hunger signals and look in the mirror.
Interesting post. I do think hunger signals are super important. I wonder what would happen if we only ate when we are hungry? Might be a problem for hypothyroid people. They might never be hungry.

Cloudhands

Interesting post. I do think hunger signals are super important. I wonder what would happen if we only ate when we are hungry? Might be a problem for hypothyroid people. They might never be hungry.
thats why other signals are important too, symptoms, mood, digestion, pulse, temp, etc. Some people might be euthyroid and only need like 1500 calories a day, peat said he was hypo and needed 8k calories.

IVILA

How much more should a young man be eating than a woman in general? Would you say about 400 more calories?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals