Lewy body dementia. What to take for sleep

Lizb

Husband is getting up at night to urinate. I have to help him.
It's so frequent I'm at the point of wanting to give him something to make him sleep. It's been like this for 18 months but now I have to help him.
Medications are awful for Lewy body patients.

What could he have once in a while?

Antihistamines can cause horrible confusion. Maybe there are some that don't.

Last edited:
It's so frequent I'm at the point of wanting to give him something to make him sleep. It's been like this for 18 months but now I have to help him.

Taking something won’t keep him from needing to urinate, I would think that sleeping through needing to, would just make him wet the bed. Does he urinate frequently during the day also? Does he drink water often? Is he diabetic? How old is he?

OP
Lizb

Lizb

Taking something won’t keep him from needing to urinate, I would think that sleeping through needing to, would just make him wet the bed. Does he urinate frequently during the day also? Does he drink water often? Is he diabetic? How old is he?
He wears a pad at night. Sometimes he'll urinate in the pad whilst asleep. But not often enough!
Not diabetic.
Doctor has prescribed Lorazepam. This will give me a whole set of other problems.
He drinks one glass of water a day. We try to stick to milk.
Yes about every hour during the day.
Had over active bladder for years

He wears a pad at night. Sometimes he'll urinate in the pad whilst asleep. But not often enough!
Not diabetic.
Doctor has prescribed Lorazepam. This will give me a whole set of other problems.
He drinks one glass of water a day. We try to stick to milk.
Yes about every hour during the day.
Had over active bladder for years
Does he get enough salt in a day? Low salt diets can cause frequent urination. Lorazepam may be exacerbating his problem….

“Lorazepam can also cause short-term side effects, such as: Fatigue. Changes in appetite. Frequent urination or difficulty urinating.”

Peater

I don't know enough to offer any advice but just wanted to say something to recognise the fact you're long term helping him, that's commendable and you should be proud of yourself, many would just do the care home thing. Both my grandparents had dementia so I have a little idea what it means.

“A study done on vitamin c intake in 2060 women, aged 30-79 years of age found that high-dose intake of vitamin c and calcium were positively associated with urinary storage or incontinence, whereas vitamin C from foods and beverages were associated with decreased urinary urgency.”

“Vitamin D is known to help with bone health, as well as the immune system, hearth health, blood sugar levels and mood regulation. Studies have also found that vitamin D deficiency is associated with a higher risk of pelvic floor disorders. And, in one study of older women, the risk of developing urinary incontinence was 45% lower among those with normal vitamin D levels.

The best way to get most of the vitamin D you need is from sun exposure”

“Magnesium helps your body with a host of functions, including lowering high blood pressure, regulating mood, and helping to guard against Type 2 diabetes. It also ensures our muscles and nerves function properly, and some experts believe that it may help improve incontinence symptoms by reducing bladder muscle spasms, and allowing the bladder to empty.“

I don't know enough to offer any advice but just wanted to say something to recognise the fact you're long term helping him, that's commendable and you should be proud of yourself, many would just do the care home thing. Both my grandparents had dementia so I have a little idea what it means.
I commend anyone who cares for another person in such a difficult physical and mental state too, I have had to do it myself. Nutrition is everything in their cases.

“Poor regulation of body functions.The part of the nervous system that controls automatic functions is called the autonomic nervous system. Lewy body dementia can affect how well the autonomic nervous system controls blood pressure, heart rate, sweating and digestion. This can result in sudden drops in blood pressure upon standing, dizziness, falls, loss of bladder control and bowel issues such as constipation.”

I created a thread about Alzheimers and my father, while I was just learning about it myself. I post useful information I run across in that thread on the subject…

Regina

I like the answers you are getting from Rinse.

I would add inosine.
Before Peating, I used to have to get up to pee several times throughout the night. For me, it was adrenaline.
Inosine squelched it. I took this brand.
In powder form. I didn't measure the dose. Something like half a teaspoon down the hatch before bed. 3 nights in a row fixed the problem permanently.
I think in any injured/compromised state, such as lewy bodies, the organism's compensatory stress state kicks in.

What about running a course of minocycline too?

OP
Lizb

Lizb

Not diabetic
Over active bladder for years
Eears
I created a thread about Alzheimers and my father, while I was just learning about it myself. I post useful information I run across in that thread on the subject…

I've never looked that thread. I will now. Thank you.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

Does he get enough salt in a day? Low salt diets can cause frequent urination. Lorazepam may be exacerbating his problem….

“Lorazepam can also cause short-term side effects, such as: Fatigue. Changes in appetite. Frequent urination or difficulty urinating.”

Maybe could add more salt.
I haven't given him the lorazepam yet

OP
Lizb

Lizb

Thank you. I need a significant change. Either enough sleep or more help. I'm spent.

TheCodez

For 15 years now I've been getting up 6 to 10 times per night to urinate. 5 days ago I decided to try cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate) to see if it would help my hypertension. I had 4 tsp spread across the day. That night I only got up once and slept amazingly well. I've continued having 4 to 6 tsp of cream of tartar per day and I've only gotten up once per night each night since and really I could probably avoid getting up even that once, but I've not tried yet. It doesn't really seem to be helping my hypertension much yet, but It's honestly nothing short of a life changing miracle for me in the sleep department. I've not yet tried any other form of potassium to see if my new found ability to sleep persists. Note that it is possible to overdose on potassium, particularly if there are kidney problems. I'm really sorry for what y'all are going through.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

For 15 years now I've been getting up 6 to 10 times per night to urinate. 5 days ago I decided to try cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate) to see if it would help my hypertension. I had 4 tsp spread across the day. That night I only got up once and slept amazingly well. I've continued having 4 to 6 tsp of cream of tartar per day and I've only gotten up once per night each night since and really I could probably avoid getting up even that once, but I've not tried yet. It's honestly nothing short of a life changing miracle for me. I've not yet tried any other form of potassium to see if my new found ability to sleep persists. Note that it is possible to overdose on potassium, particularly if there are kidney problems.
Interesting. A simple thing to try. Much appreciated. You must be delighted.

Peater

Thank you. I need a significant change. Either enough sleep or more help. I'm spent.

I noticed less night time peeing from a small dose of pregnenlone. It might be coincidence of course. It's the Such Labs branded one. Might be worth trying as it's generally beneficial.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

I noticed less night time peeing from a small dose of pregnenlone. It might be coincidence of course. It's the Such Labs branded one. Might be worth trying as it's generally beneficial.
I have some. Thank you. I'll let you know if it helps.

Peater

I have some. Thank you. I'll let you know if it helps.

Please do. From memory it wasn't even a big amount, you obviously don't have the same scoop thing as I do so if said just enough to make a small pile on the tip of a small table knife would that make sense?! Barely even a pinch.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

Please do. From memory it wasn't even a big amount, you obviously don't have the same scoop thing as I do so if said just enough to make a small pile on the tip of a small table knife would that make sense?! Barely even a pinch.
Okay thanks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals