Lewy body dementia. What to take for sleep

I do. I'm not sure that it makes any difference though.
I really feel for you Liz. It is hard enough watching a parent decline, someone that you looked up to, but watching your partner’s decline takes an emotional toll in a very different way, and the physical demands on top of that is almost more that you think you can bear. You are both not the same people through the process. I lost my husband last year so I have a glimps of the mental and physical exhaustion you are going through. When you get through this fire you will see what you are really made of. Ask for help Liz, from family and friends, I finally did, despite my husband not wanting me too. I don’t have any regrets about that. I feel like this thread should be more about you as the caretaker, and how to get you through all of this. They say it takes a village to raise a child and it is the same with older family members. The sleep deprivation I went through those 3 months before my husband unexpectedly died was a torture of it’s own.

To your husbands sleep issues, I found keeping meat out of my evening meals to be extremely helpful in getting my own sleep right. Try carbs at night in your husband’s evening meal, things like potato soup, organic pasta, or even eggs. If he wakes up in the night, give him a spoonful of raw honey or a little glass of water with sugar and a pinch of salt dissolved in it. Also do as Ray Peat recommended and diffuse some of the stress of darkness by keeping a nightlight on in the room you are both sleeping in. It is amazing how much that tip has helped me.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

@Rinse & rePeat you're right, thank you. It's hard to ask people to help but I'm now at the point of no choice. It's too hard to carry on like this. I do have some carers coming in but just not enough.
I'll make those changes you have suggested. I do have the lights on already which I dislike but husband wants them on.
I know you lost your husband. He was so young. I often wonder how you're doing.
I appreciate your help and all the help offered here, very much.

No_Energy

Hi @Lizb,

Would you mind sharing some information on LBD? Hows was it diagnosed? Was there any specific test or exam that helped come to that diagnosis or was it solely clinical and based on symptoms? What is the list of medications that have been prescribed and tried for the neurological/cognitive/mental issues? Thank you.
These neurodegenerative diseases are really terrible. and good treatments lacking.
Wish you the best,

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Over active bladder for years
When looking online for info about Lewy Body dementia, I see that it is frequently mentioned with Parkinson's Disease as if there is some overlap. Many (all?) types of dementia are tied in with thiamine deficiency and/or thiamine functional blockage. Overactive bladder is also thought to be caused by thiamine deficiency. The autonomic nervous system needs thiamine to work properly. Dr. Costantini of Italy successfully treated thousands of Parkinson's Disease patients with high dose thiamine hcl.

links:

My heart goes out to you. My father suffered from incapacitating Alzheimer's for five years before his death. The decision to get nursing staff for the night was the right decision for me because my own health deteriorated from the lack of sleep. I could not have survived without the night time reprieve.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

Hi @Lizb,

Would you mind sharing some information on LBD? Hows was it diagnosed? Was there any specific test or exam that helped come to that diagnosis or was it solely clinical and based on symptoms? What is the list of medications that have been prescribed and tried for the neurological/cognitive/mental issues? Thank you.
These neurodegenerative diseases are really terrible. and good treatments lacking.
Wish you the best,
He knew he had dementia and went to tell his GP. Tests followed:-

Mild cognitive impairment was diagnosed from lengthy questionnaires which he hated.

CT scan of the head.

Symptoms were the clear indication.

The usual blood tests of course.

Donepezil. Not my choice but his.

Doesn't take anything else, yet.

Long term medication for over active bladder could have been a contributing factor to the development of the dementia.

I did email Ray. He said,

milk, thyroid, aspirin, Losartan, vitamin d, other things but I don't have his email readily to hand at the moment.

I tell people it was ten years in the making. Looking back I can see how things changed.

OP
Lizb

Lizb

When looking online for info about Lewy Body dementia, I see that it is frequently mentioned with Parkinson's Disease as if there is some overlap. Many (all?) types of dementia are tied in with thiamine deficiency and/or thiamine functional blockage. Overactive bladder is also thought to be caused by thiamine deficiency. The autonomic nervous system needs thiamine to work properly. Dr. Costantini of Italy successfully treated thousands of Parkinson's Disease patients with high dose thiamine hcl.

links:

My heart goes out to you. My father suffered from incapacitating Alzheimer's for five years before his death. The decision to get nursing staff for the night was the right decision for me because my own health deteriorated from the lack of sleep. I could not have survived without the night time reprieve.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I know that those looking after their loved ones full time have an over 50% likihood of dying before the dementia sufferer.

I did try thiamine early on. It stopped the shaky movement but only for one night. I haven't been able to repeat the success.

I know how my body feels and it's not good. I'm working on getting the right level of care in for me to recover. It's all very sad.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I know that those looking after their loved ones full time have an over 50% likihood of dying before the dementia sufferer.

I did try thiamine early on. It stopped the shaky movement but only for one night. I haven't been able to repeat the success.

I know how my body feels and it's not good. I'm working on getting the right level of care in for me to recover. It's all very sad.
This is an awful thought Liz. I never heard this before, but I believe it.

mostlylurking

According to Dr. Costantini, the ability for thiamine to resolve the shaking is most successful in the very early stages of Parkinson's Disease. But the other things that thiamine does still work later in the disease. I think that you would find his information provided on his website helpful.

Dr. Costantini's Therapy page was most helpful for me because it clearly explains the dose amount needed when taking thiamine hcl orally. I have been taking high dose thiamine (1 gram, 2Xday) for 3 years and am doing well on it.

The videos of Dr. Costantini's patients before and after thiamine treatment are eye opening. The patient at the bottom of the page, Bruno, was at death's door and the recovery is remarkable; he does not look like the same person. Although these videos are all in Italian, they are all very short; several of the interviews have subtitles and all are well worth the time to watch (and read). These patients were treated with thiamine hcl by injection; the Therapy page provides the information needed to extrapolate the amount of oral thiamine hcl needed to equal a 100mg thiamine hcl injection.
Exhaustion takes its tole. Thiamine would be helpful for you too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals