Niacinamide - Bloat/Water Retention

Israelibacon

Hello

Niacinamide at any dose (from 50mg to the full 500mg capsule) increases water retention/oedema. I am on Rx levothyroxine sodium 100mcg.
I keep a tight dietary schedule with 180-200g protein, 540-560g carbs, and 40-45g fat and I powerlift 4x days/week. My body-fat percentage is around 11-12% but when I take NAM, it looks as though I am 15-16%. I suspect that vasopressin/ADH has something to do with this perhaps?

I would like to take NAM as the calming effects are very nice (I tend to be an anxious person) but the bloat/oedema is too much for me.
I have read other similar experiences but cannot synthesize a conclusion or mitigation.
If it helps, glycine tends to have the same effect on me

EvanHinkle

Not sure if this applies to you, so feel free to disregard, but I think most of the studies combine niacinamide with glucose. Are you taking it away from sugar? I couldn’t get niacinamide to work for me for a few years, (trying it again and again to test the supposed benefits) and finally came across a study Haidut posted suggesting 20g of glucose per 250mg of niacinamide.

I take about 500mg three times a day and just make sure that I take it with juice, or milk and honey, or sugared coffee, (or all three combined - which is the typical composition of my first three meals of the day).

For reference, I too lift heavy, (5,3,1 two days a week) and don’t seem to have any issues with bloating.

OP
I

Israelibacon

Not sure if this applies to you, so feel free to disregard, but I think most of the studies combine niacinamide with glucose. Are you taking it away from sugar? I couldn’t get niacinamide to work for me for a few years, (trying it again and again to test the supposed benefits) and finally came across a study Haidut posted suggesting 20g of glucose per 250mg of niacinamide.

I take about 500mg three times a day and just make sure that I take it with juice, or milk and honey, or sugared coffee, (or all three combined - which is the typical composition of my first three meals of the day).

For reference, I too lift heavy, (5,3,1 two days a week) and don’t seem to have any issues with bloating.

This does apply and thank you.
Every time I have taken any dose of niacinamide has either been with or right after a high carb meal (either breakfast of lots of honey, oatmeal, yogurt or dinner, which is lots of rice and chicken) and still... the body bloats.

EvanHinkle

Interesting, outside of the honey it sounds like your predominant carb sources are starchy. Maybe try juice or honey and wait until your next meal to eat a starch. If anything it will give you an indication if perhaps combining starch with the niacinamide is causing you to bloat?

OP
I

Israelibacon

To update this thread:
It appears that this experienced bloat may have been from gut dysbiosis. I have been dosing a few drops of oregano oil in the morning and before bed and have noticed tightness around the midsection and bloat reduction.

Dr. B

I thought it was a different type of sugar called ribose or something else? I think Haidut suggested orange juice alongside niacinamide for that purpose? Glucose would be a starchy carb like rice bread pasta etc. table sugar has it but only half glucose i believe.

Also i dont think any amount of carbs is enough to repeatedly tolerate 500mg doses. I am thinking of only doing 500mg once a week on niacinamide with a carb heavy meal.

I am curious what exactly happens if you dont have enough sugar alongside niacinamide? Does it raise cortisol in that case, basically causing fat gain and hair loss and all those cortisol effects then?

In my case i get dry shrunken eyes from it too. And an increase of acne.

I ordered a low dose b complex which has some small amounts of b vitamins alongside 12.5mg niacinamide.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom