Low Toxin Diet No One seems to be talking about Gas Problems with Low Toxin Diet

Validus

I don't know if it's related or not, but has anyone else had to deal with gas issues disrupting not only their days, but also their sleep as well?

I've been attempting to just muscle through it and also tried modulating my diet, but it's now going on multiple weeks (2 months) and I'm being woken up 5-6 times per night due to cramps from the gas.

It's so bad, it feels like it's pushing on my bladder making me feel like I have to urinate when I really don't too.

At the most, my fiber was as follows for the day in total:

- 2 dry cups of oat bran I believe this comes out to about 4 wet cups when cooked.
- 2 normal sized apples.
- A salad with some asparagus and perhaps a 1/4 cup of mung beans

That seemed like too much, so I then backed off and removed the salad and mung beans.

That still seemed like too much, so now I'm only consuming 1 dry cup of oat bran and 2 apples, but have added a decent amount of subfiber, about 21 grams per day.

Any help or advice would be great. It seems like almost all fiber causes gas issues with me and I've already been sleep deprived for the past few years leading up to this.

I can't afford to sleep less than I already was.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
You just have to back off until your bile acid profile improves. This is a dance, ease in then ease out until you find that comfortable spot. You can also look into the probiotics that Dr. Smith recommends to get things more balanced faster.

OP
Validus

Validus

You just have to back off until your bile acid profile improves. This is a dance, ease in then ease out until you find that comfortable spot. You can also look into the probiotics that Dr. Smith recommends to get things more balanced faster.
Man, what's strange is for a while, I felt like everything was fine, even with a lot more fiber, but then all of a sudden, it seemed like too much.

I struggle with backing off because I'm not entirely sure what else to eat.

I guess just more protein and maybe sour dough bread?

Also, can you direct me toward what probiotics are recommended?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I guess just more protein and maybe sour dough bread?
As things adjust you will also need to adjust fiber and food intake. Yes a good sourdough bread is great. I know one girl should could only eat white corn for a while.

Peater

Apparently soaking beans overnight with a drop or two of SSKI can help. You discard the water obviously so i don't think there's any risk from the iodide.

Richiebogie

Short term, cut back on the fibre.

ie stop the sunfiber & stop the beans.

Try 1/4 cup of oats (not oat bran) with a banana and apple in the morning, and same in the afternoon.

Try some white bread or white rice with chicken or beef.

This should be plenty of fibre to get some bile action without the pain.

OP
Validus

Validus

Short term, cut back on the fibre.

ie stop the sunfiber & stop the beans.

Try 1/4 cup of oats (not oat bran) with a banana and apple in the morning, and same in the afternoon.

Try some white bread or white rice with chicken or beef.

This should be plenty of fibre to get some bile action without the pain.
Thanks man - Funny, I switched back intuitively to old fashioned oats this morning and away from oat bran.

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
I am also wondering about probiotics, specifically if there is a brand that Dr. Garrett Smith would recommend.

OP
Validus

Validus

I am also wondering about probiotics, specifically if there is a brand that Dr. Garrett Smith would recommend.
Something interesting is certain probiotic strains help metabolize alcohol in our GI system.

Similar to ALDH and ALD enzymes, which I've learned are very complicated. Coffee makes them decrease. Is it because Coffee increases our own detox, lowering needed aldh or is it because Coffee increases dopamine and dopamine metabolites are toxic and require aldh to eliminate them.

Probiotics of that nature may be a good compromise to enhance detox.

Nick

I think the sometimes apple fiber can have a particularly strong effect, for better or for worse. I have been going through a period where I can do more beans but can't tolerate much apple fiber. 1 dry cup of oats could be too much as well, I remember Garrett Smith saying that some people can't handle oats at all until the bile acid profile improves.

Don

I think the sometimes apple fiber can have a particularly strong effect, for better or for worse. I have been going through a period where I can do more beans but can't tolerate much apple fiber. 1 dry cup of oats could be too much as well, I remember Garrett Smith saying that some people can't handle oats at all until the bile acid profile improves.
This is me too. Beans are fine so far but apple or oatmeal not yet.

DanDare

Forum Supporter
It's not just the amounts you eat. The body is not a waste disposal, just churnung up whatever one throws in it. I would pay attention to how your body reacts to what you eat, considering that some things combined better than others. For example I eat meat and beans together, then have my fill of rice or potatoes, and I have no gas or discomfort.

If I eat spice, or a lot of things mixed together, or out of this order, I will pay for it.

Fruit is normally best eaten in is own, say 30 minutes before the meal.

I also find drinking ( water) right before or after a meal is a bad idea. I only sip water ( like if really thirsty ) if within a a couple of hours of a meal.

Food requires different enzymes to digest and different pH, protein digesting enzymes are optimized in more acidic conditions than starch. Mix these two together and digestion will not be as complete, so you get gas ( malabsorption ). Foods that are high in carbs and protein can be problematic ( beans).
Chew throughly, don't water down food... No soup.

If course if you are a fantastic digesting monster then you don't need to be so careful.

I have had gas since a baby...

Not any more though, if I follow my rules

Ray never spoke about this, or was never asked.

Last edited:

BubblesMcGee

Forum Supporter
I can only tolerate apples well cooked and cannot eat oats. Oats cause horrible gas and bloating and it doesn’t abate until I cut it out entirely. I have at least one close friend who has a similar experience with oat products. Same goes for oat milk which I actually think is the worst due to not being cooked. I also don’t think beans are a great idea unless you really need a protein source and can’t eat meat or dairy. I can tolerate grated carrot a few times per week, otherwise cooked apple or roasted pear.

Kyle970

Are these canned beans?
I can't do any canned beans, none.
What I do instead: soak dried beans for couple days/changing water. Then slow(low heat)cook for a couple DAYS. They come out very tender and digest much better. Nothing like canned beans. The bean diet lady says to add fat when eating for bowel benefits.

PeterSN

I don't know if it's related or not, but has anyone else had to deal with gas issues disrupting not only their days, but also their sleep as well?

I've been attempting to just muscle through it and also tried modulating my diet, but it's now going on multiple weeks (2 months) and I'm being woken up 5-6 times per night due to cramps from the gas.

It's so bad, it feels like it's pushing on my bladder making me feel like I have to urinate when I really don't too.

At the most, my fiber was as follows for the day in total:

- 2 dry cups of oat bran I believe this comes out to about 4 wet cups when cooked.
- 2 normal sized apples.
- A salad with some asparagus and perhaps a 1/4 cup of mung beans

That seemed like too much, so I then backed off and removed the salad and mung beans.

That still seemed like too much, so now I'm only consuming 1 dry cup of oat bran and 2 apples, but have added a decent amount of subfiber, about 21 grams per day.

Any help or advice would be great. It seems like almost all fiber causes gas issues with me and I've already been sleep deprived for the past few years leading up to this.

I can't afford to sleep less than I already was.
I am also having really bad gut issues from this low toxin thing, really dont know what to eat, my gut issues honestly seemed better doing the standard ray peat thing, with low fat yogurt, mangoes, cantelope melon, dates

cfeehan

Forum Supporter
I have issues with raw apples, but I've found that I do well if I slice the apple up, zap in the microwave for 40-60 seconds, then eat the slices like watermelon - eating the middle and leaving the peel behind. As another person mentioned, I try to eat fruit by itself.

I make steel cut oats (real, not quick cook) the night before by soaking in water with a cap full of apple cider vinegar. Heat and eat the next morning.

I still get a bit of gas from beans but it is GREATLY decreased from a month ago. I soak dried beans overnight and then pressure cook in the Instant Pot. For me, at this point in time, I do better with beans if I eat them by themselves, not mixing with other foods / spices. I don't think most canned beans are prepared properly so skip cans.

Rock_V

It's not just the amounts you eat. The body is not a waste disposal, just churnung up whatever one throws in it. I would pay attention to how your body reacts to what you eat, considering that some things combined better than others. For example I eat meat and beans together, then have my fill of rice or potatoes, and I have no gas or discomfort.

If I eat spice, or a lot of things mixed together, or out of this order, I will pay for it.

Fruit is normally best eaten in is own, say 30 minutes before the meal.

I also find drinking ( water) right before or after a meal is a bad idea. I only sip water ( like if really thirsty ) if within a a couple of hours of a meal.

Food requires different enzymes to digest and different pH, protein digesting enzymes are optimized in more acidic conditions than starch. Mix these two together and digestion will not be as complete, so you get gas ( malabsorption ). Foods that are high in carbs and protein can be problematic ( beans).
Chew throughly, don't water down food... No soup.

If course if you are a fantastic digesting monster then you don't need to be so careful.

I have had gas since a baby...

Not any more though, if I follow my rules

Ray never spoke about this, or was never asked.

Yeah starch and meat together can definitely make digestion more complicated than necessary.

I usually do fruit / coffee for breakfast, starch for lunch, meat & wine for dinner. Makes digestion much simpler.

I find high fructose fruit like apples on their own digests better in the morning. Atom Bergstrom (Solar Nutrition) has some insight on this. I actually think there’s a benefit to timing foods correctly. It sounds crazy but I’ve tested it out and if I have apples in the afternoon I get stomach pains. In the morning no problem. Carrots are another example. Bad idea during the day but at nighttime seem ok.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals